Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

    Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    Oh wow. So there's going to be no beer at the TUC? Gonna have to pre-game it hard. I thought for sure they would have it there. Ridiculous.
    Either last year or the year before, there was a Brooklyn Brewery stand on the Pearl St. end of the concourse...inside the arena. They only sold their lager and their stout, but I was able to enjoy a lager between games.

    Don't hold your breath that will happen, but there is a possibility.
    Union Hockey

    2014 National Champions!!!!

    Comment


    • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

      Any word on how overall ticket sales are going?

      Comment


      • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

        Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        Any word on how overall ticket sales are going?
        FWIW: Online, the best I can get as a single ticket right now is 111, row L. I know that likely doesn't tell the entire story, and that the 4 schools get 2 sections near each goal line/corner, however if a single can't be found on the sides...

        Comment


        • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

          Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          FWIW: Online, the best I can get as a single ticket right now is 111, row L. I know that likely doesn't tell the entire story, and that the 4 schools get 2 sections near each goal line/corner, however if a single can't be found on the sides...
          I think this year's draw is being greatly underestimated. I watched last year's games, and SLU and Cornell both brought very large contingents. The other two teams were Yale and Princeton, who probably brought a few hundred combined. This year however, we have Union, which should get at the least 1,500 or so. Brown won't travel well obviously, but the other three teams create possibly the best scenario not involving Clarkson or RPI.

          Comment


          • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

            Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            I think this year's draw is being greatly underestimated. I watched last year's games, and SLU and Cornell both brought very large contingents. The other two teams were Yale and Princeton, who probably brought a few hundred combined. This year however, we have Union, which should get at the least 1,500 or so. Brown won't travel well obviously, but the other three teams create possibly the best scenario not involving Clarkson or RPI.
            I personally felt Yale drew considerably well last year compared to what everybody was guessing going into the weekend. Obviously their performance has increased their fan support from their days of poor play earlier in the 00's, but I would have been looking forward to the potential crowd had they gotten past Brown.

            I think SLU will bring +/- 1,000. That's generally what they have brought in the recent past when they have made it to Albany. Obviously, I would love to be closer to 1,500... but I just don't think its going to happen.

            Comment


            • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

              Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              FWIW: Online, the best I can get as a single ticket right now is 111, row L. I know that likely doesn't tell the entire story, and that the 4 schools get 2 sections near each goal line/corner, however if a single can't be found on the sides...
              I seem to recall that in 2004 (Clarkson/Harvard/Dartmouth/Colgate) I bought tickets at the last minute and was in the upper deck.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

              Comment


              • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                I think it'll be a great tournament.

                Brown is on a roll, has taken down two very strong teams and will probably, with Union, be very intense in their play. St Lawrence plays with a bit of an edge, has some great skaters, Coach Marsh, and a good fan base. Union has the best team they ever had, and have historically hung losses on Cornell even when Union was at the bottom of the league.

                But what has history got to do with it? Maybe nuthin. But this year (2010), Cornell could only get a tie with both Union and SLU on Cornell's home ice, where they usually have a big crowd advantage.

                I disagree with the assertions that Cornell-Brown will be "a snoozer" - Cornell plays a lot of one-goal games, and under those conditions, one bounce off a scramble in front erases 3 periods of hard checking, crease battles, and penalty kills. To me at least, defensive hockey can still be entertaining.

                I really like the fact that (edit)two lower seeded teams are in it, and that these kids have a chance at last to be in big games, and that their mommas and poppas that have dealt with a lot of losses have a chance for some excitement.
                Last edited by TimV; 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM.
                A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

                Comment


                • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                  Originally posted by TimV View Post
                  I think it'll be a great tournament.

                  Brown is on a roll, has taken down two very strong teams and will probably, with Union, be very intense in their play. St Lawrence plays with a bit of an edge, has some great skaters, Coach Marsh, and a good fan base. Union has the best team they ever had, and have historically hung losses on Cornell even when Union was at the bottom of the league.

                  But what has history got to do with it? Maybe nuthin. But this year (2010), Cornell could only get a tie with both Union and SLU on Cornell's home ice, where they usually have a big crowd advantage.

                  I disagree with the assertions that Cornell-Brown will be "a snoozer" - Cornell plays a lot of one-goal games, and under those conditions, one bounce off a scramble in front erases 3 periods of hard checking, crease battles, and penalty kills. To me at least, defensive hockey can still be entertaining.

                  I really like the fact that three lower seeded teams are in it, and that these kids have a chance at last to be in big games, and that their mommas and poppas that have dealt with a lot of losses have a chance for some excitement.
                  I agree that this championship weekend has the potential to be an exciting one. However, SLU and Cornell tied at Appleton not at Lynah. Only two of the teams this weekend didn't receive a bye for the playoffs which is what most would consider the determination of a lower seed. Even SLU, is only a five seed for the playoffs so not much of a lower seed themselves.
                  St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

                  6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                  4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                  2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                  16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                  9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                  2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

                  Comment


                  • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                    Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                    They'll sell beer even though it's ECAC hockey, right?
                    Haven't read the entire thread yet (but it sure is fun) so somebody else may have already responded . . .

                    It's against NCAA policies to sell alcohol at any event. BU gets away with at Agganis Arena for some reason, but that's the only venue where I've seen it sold. That includes the Verizon Wireless Arena (NCAA Regionals) and the TD Banknorth Garden (Hockey East semis & finals).

                    So, if they do have beer available . . . bully for you!
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

                    Comment


                    • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                      Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                      It's against NCAA policies to sell alcohol at any event. BU gets away with at Agganis Arena for some reason, but that's the only venue where I've seen it sold. That includes the Verizon Wireless Arena (NCAA Regionals) and the TD Banknorth Garden (Hockey East semis & finals).
                      How can it be against NCAA policies to sell alcohol when so many different places "get away with it?"

                      Please, people, don't post things as fact when you don't know for sure that they're fact.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

                      Comment


                      • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                        Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        How can it be against NCAA policies to sell alcohol when so many different places "get away with it?"

                        Please, people, don't post things as fact when you don't know for sure that they're fact.
                        They haven't sold it at the regionals or Frozen Four ever since I've been going, but they definitely have done so at the ECACs in Albany (don't remember any in LP).

                        I thought I heard somewhere that it really is NCAA policy to not sell it at NCAA events. Since this is an ECAC event, perhaps those same restrictions don't apply?
                        Union Hockey

                        2014 National Champions!!!!

                        Comment


                        • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                          Update on the ticket sales...

                          http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...ategory=SPORTS
                          Union Hockey

                          2014 National Champions!!!!

                          Comment


                          • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                            No matter how many tickets have been sold in the past, it's been my experience that the arena rarely has as many bodies as actual tickets sold. Many fans tend not to show up the first day until their team is playing if in the second session, and many leave after the first game if their team has played in that one. On the second day a good portion of the fans don't show if their team has been eliminated. To get a really good atmosphere I think they would need to sell a lot more session passes.

                            Comment


                            • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                              Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                              Haven't read the entire thread yet (but it sure is fun) so somebody else may have already responded . . .

                              It's against NCAA policies to sell alcohol at any event. BU gets away with at Agganis Arena for some reason, but that's the only venue where I've seen it sold. That includes the Verizon Wireless Arena (NCAA Regionals) and the TD Banknorth Garden (Hockey East semis & finals).

                              So, if they do have beer available . . . bully for you!
                              I am pretty certain that is because BU does not officially own Agganis. The only time I have seen alcohol served is when the school does not own but leases the building therefore it is up to building management whether or not to sell booze. BU, CC, No Dak, and I think Lowell all serve during games.
                              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

                              Comment


                              • Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

                                Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                No matter how many tickets have been sold in the past, it's been my experience that the arena rarely has as many bodies as actual tickets sold. Many fans tend not to show up the first day until their team is playing if in the second session, and many leave after the first game if their team has played in that one. On the second day a good portion of the fans don't show if their team has been eliminated. To get a really good atmosphere I think they would need to sell a lot more session passes.
                                Exactly...it's twisting the numbers. There may end up being 7,000 people going through the turnstiles on Friday, but 2,000 Cornell fans might leave after their game and 1,000 Union fans won't show up until 6:30 or so.
                                Union Hockey

                                2014 National Champions!!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X