X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STATEdude3
    replied
    Re: MSU Spartan off-season - the grand flame-out

If true this is good news. I hope they get the details worked out.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
    Any news regarding the Showcase, or are still on rumor feed?
    Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    I checked the threads of the other schools and there is not much info. In the 10-11 schedule thread it appears that Wisconsin is booked for another event. I assume that means there is no Showcase. That is really a shame.
    It's on.

Leave a comment:

• STATEdude3
    replied

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
    You need to put a tape recorder in front of him and have him tell those stories. They would make invaluable family memories.
    That is a great idea actually. I'm going to try and work that out with him. He worked a seriously cool list of jobs--plant manager at Dem Hall, Spartan Stadium locker room manager, among other things. He knew Biggie and Duffy and has told some really cool stories about things that happened behind the scenes. Duffy was a gem of a character, and my grandpa got to know him well. I would love to take down some of his stories--it would be great listening.

Thanks for the idea!

Leave a comment:

• Arwen22266
    replied

My grandfather worked at various jobs on campus for 40 years, but he was part of the first group that worked at Dem Hall after the conversion to an ice rink. He was telling me yesterday about how Paulsen would help to get the ice ready before the games, and when a repair needed to be made he would do it himself in between periods and what not. Amazing how things have changed over the years.
    You need to put a tape recorder in front of him and have him tell those stories. They would make invaluable family memories.

Leave a comment:

• STATEdude3
    replied

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    Awesome. Pretty cool to have that family history tied to MSU hockey. Seemed Dem Hall was Paulsen's baby.
    I would be interested to learn more of the history behind the building, but my Grandpa tells about how much work went into the conversion. It was the first artificial rink concrete pour in Michigan since the Olympia Stadium was built. They pretty much just made up how to do it on the fly. I guess it was a major thing back then.

I have a picture of my grandpa moping the ice alongside Paulsen and some others. I will try to find it and put it up. There are very few old pictures of Dem Hall, but you are right--it certainly was HP's baby.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

My grandfather worked at various jobs on campus for 40 years, but he was part of the first group that worked at Dem Hall after the conversion to an ice rink. He was telling me yesterday about how Paulsen would help to get the ice ready before the games, and when a repair needed to be made he would do it himself in between periods and what not. Amazing how things have changed over the years.
    Awesome. Pretty cool to have that family history tied to MSU hockey. Seemed Dem Hall was Paulsen's baby.

Leave a comment:

• STATEdude3
    replied

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    Agree - Bessone put the program on the map, but if it weren't for Harold Paulsen's diligence, MSU hockey would never have gotten the solid footing on campus it needed. Bessone made Spartan hockey great, but Paulsen paved the way.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

Tough year for Spartan Hockey coaches. First Amo, now Harold. It's not the record that made Paulson a great, but his reestablishment of our program. A great Spartan!
    Agree - Bessone put the program on the map, but if it weren't for Harold Paulsen's diligence, MSU hockey would never have gotten the solid footing on campus it needed. Bessone made Spartan hockey great, but Paulsen paved the way.

Leave a comment:

• UMICHhockeyRULZ
    replied
    Re: Yet another reason to mourn

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
    First MSU varsity hockey coach, Paulsen, dies at 91
    By: Chris Vannini
    Source: www.statenews.com

Harold Paulsen, who helped found the MSU hockey program and was its first varsity coach, died on May 11 at the age of 91 in Mankato, Minn.

Although he had a 6-25 record in two seasons as head coach from 1949-51, Paulsen set a foundation for the hockey program and paved the way for Amo Bessone, who found much success in his 28 years as the head of the hockey program.

Paulsen oversaw renovations on Demonstration Hall to include an indoor hockey rink before taking over as head coach. Paulsen was also a star player for Minnesota from 1938-41 and was the school’s all-time leading scorer when he graduated in 1941.
    My condolences.

Leave a comment:

• STATEdude3
    replied

Tough year for Spartan Hockey coaches. First Amo, now Harold. It's not the record that made Paulson a great, but his reestablishment of our program. A great Spartan!

Leave a comment:

• Arwen22266
    replied
    Yet another reason to mourn

First MSU varsity hockey coach, Paulsen, dies at 91
    By: Chris Vannini
    Source: www.statenews.com

Harold Paulsen, who helped found the MSU hockey program and was its first varsity coach, died on May 11 at the age of 91 in Mankato, Minn.

Although he had a 6-25 record in two seasons as head coach from 1949-51, Paulsen set a foundation for the hockey program and paved the way for Amo Bessone, who found much success in his 28 years as the head of the hockey program.

Paulsen oversaw renovations on Demonstration Hall to include an indoor hockey rink before taking over as head coach. Paulsen was also a star player for Minnesota from 1938-41 and was the school’s all-time leading scorer when he graduated in 1941.

Leave a comment:

• STATEdude3
    replied

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
    I checked the threads of the other schools and there is not much info. In the 10-11 schedule thread it appears that Wisconsin is booked for another event. I assume that means there is no Showcase. That is really a shame.

Leave a comment:

• Nevergoodenough
    replied

Leave a comment:

• STATEdude3
    replied

It's too bad the Badgers had to ruin it for everyone. Even though MSU struggled in this event in recent years, it has been great to see UW and UMtc on the schedule each year. I was hoping that the Big Ten Network would help to continue the event, but then I remembered they dont care about hockey.

Leave a comment:

• wolverine318
    replied

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    That's what I assumed, too. I recall hearing from somewhere that Wisconsin cancelled the remainder of their chunk of the College Hockey Showcase contract, ergo, the entire thing's wrecked and we're currently SOL for Thanksgiving weekend.

The upcoming schedule thread says otherwise, though.

How about this... if I see Comley at the baseball game today at Kobs, I'll ask him.
    I heard from Red, that Wisky wanted to expand the CHS to include Ohio State. Michigan and Minny told Wisconsin no and then Wisconsin took their puck and went home leaving everyone else SOL for next season. I have heard a few rumors (from MSUStudent on rivals.com) of who Michigan is going to play in place of Wisconsin (UNO and New Hampshire), but I have not heard anything about MSU. Too bad Wisky had to act like a ***** and ruin the entire CHS for everyone else.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X