Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartan off-season - the grand flame-out

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    But yeah, if Tropp bolts then arguably our 3 most important players for next season will have left. Very, very disappointing as I had pegged next year's roster as possibly the best that Comley will have had to work with since he has been here at msu, assuming that at least Rowe and Tropp would stay. I didn't think Tropp was quite ready and Rowe i never saw leaving. Petry was pretty expected.

I think we will be a good, solid team; however, I am afraid that we will have lost 1 or 2 too many key components to really do damage.
    At about GLI time, pretty much everyone who had their blinders hanging in the closet instead of wearing them "knew" that Petry was going to be gone, and pretty much figured that Tropp would leave at the end of the season. Rowe started to be talked about as a prospect to go early in the late January time-frame, so agreement would be that he came as a bit of a surprise, but not a HUGE surprise. Now, if anyone else would leave early, I think they would be considered a surprise and a concern.

Now, if Tropp stays, then that would be a surprise, and a good one at that.
    "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by GOGO View Post
      Sorry Owl, but you and I don't agree. I can tell you that I am just a little closer to the scene than you. This isn't a big secret.
      GOGO I usually don't respond but like other here I can't figure out your obsesion against Leveille. I enjoy watching him play and have seen him developing and you obviously don't understand hockey or player development. Leveille came into our program just having turned 18 under sized with loads of offensive potential (why he was drafted as a first round pick POTENTIAL). His first year showed the work he needed in the defensive side of his game and this year he concentrated on improving that. That was obviously the area that Comley concentrated on for him. He lead the team in plus minus (+16) and was 5th in points while gettting very little PP time. From minus 19 to plus 16 in one year is huge and don't let the significance of a skilled player learning how to play in his own end delude you into beleiving his stock to Atlanta as dropping. Does he need to get stronger of course but lets not forget he is still only 19 and will probably still be one of the youngest players even after this years recruits come in and he is going to be a Junior. My prediction is Leveille puts both the offensive and Comely'e defensive teaching together and has at least a 20G 20A season for us and Atlanta signs him at the end of our season. Leveille's scoring chances were numerous this year but he lacked the strength to finish, I'm sure this will be improved by October. Let's also not forget he sees the ice very well and part of Rowe's success came from playing with Leveille as well. When Leveille was not playing on that line neither Rowe or Gazley were as effective. If after this season I'm wrong I will give you your due and agree the ice capades are the place for him to go, but I'm not holding my breath on that one and you should give it a rest.

Comment

Originally posted by rathamon View Post
        GOGO I usually don't respond but like other here I can't figure out your obsesion against Leveille. I enjoy watching him play and have seen him developing and you obviously don't understand hockey or player development. Leveille came into our program just having turned 18 under sized with loads of offensive potential (why he was drafted as a first round pick POTENTIAL). His first year showed the work he needed in the defensive side of his game and this year he concentrated on improving that. That was obviously the area that Comley concentrated on for him. He lead the team in plus minus (+16) and was 5th in points while gettting very little PP time. From minus 19 to plus 16 in one year is huge and don't let the significance of a skilled player learning how to play in his own end delude you into beleiving his stock to Atlanta as dropping. Does he need to get stronger of course but lets not forget he is still only 19 and will probably still be one of the youngest players even after this years recruits come in and he is going to be a Junior. My prediction is Leveille puts both the offensive and Comely'e defensive teaching together and has at least a 20G 20A season for us and Atlanta signs him at the end of our season. Leveille's scoring chances were numerous this year but he lacked the strength to finish, I'm sure this will be improved by October. Let's also not forget he sees the ice very well and part of Rowe's success came from playing with Leveille as well. When Leveille was not playing on that line neither Rowe or Gazley were as effective. If after this season I'm wrong I will give you your due and agree the ice capades are the place for him to go, but I'm not holding my breath on that one and you should give it a rest.
        Oh wow, sparty on sparty violence...
        Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
          At about GLI time, pretty much everyone who had their blinders hanging in the closet instead of wearing them "knew" that Petry was going to be gone, and pretty much figured that Tropp would leave at the end of the season. Rowe started to be talked about as a prospect to go early in the late January time-frame, so agreement would be that he came as a bit of a surprise, but not a HUGE surprise. Now, if anyone else would leave early, I think they would be considered a surprise and a concern.

Now, if Tropp stays, then that would be a surprise, and a good one at that.
          I suppose I was entirely too much the optimist ... and in regard to Petry and Tropp was feeling pretty good about things long about early January. Which is why the Rowe deal felt like a sucker-punch.

However, it's important for sanity's sake to look at the big picture - and as things stand we're better-positioned than we are in the summer of 2008. For several reasons, not the least of which are A better sense of team unity, an influx of proven goal scorers (and leaders - two are captains of their junior teams), and a more mature group.

So while Rowe's departure makes a BIG impact and IMHO the most damaging loss we'll have suffered, others will pick up the slack. I believe we've got some players who will at last find their potential.

I'm disappointed that this may not be the breakout year I anticipated, say, 2 weeks ago, but there's no reason 2010/11 can't be a more successful campaign than that last. MSU may start out slow in 2010, but the finish will be far more satisfactory.
          Last edited by owslachief; 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            I'm disappointed that this may not be the breakout year I anticipated, say, 2 weeks ago, but there's no reason 2010/11 can't be a more successful campaign than that last. MSU may start out slow in 2010, but the finish will be far more satisfactory.
            Agreed we have a ton of kids who could potentially pick up the slack, namely Nill, Golembiewski (sorry for spelling), Perlini, Chelios, Gazely, Forfar, Walrod, Leveille and Grant. That is pretty much the whole team it seems but all those guys could step up next year and play much bigger roles, which will be needed.

Comment

What have you guys heard about the College Hockey Showcase with Mich, Minn, and Wisc? I have a feeling that it isn't happening this year. Wisconsin has been officially announced as playing in the Icebreaker tourny, UMass fans were told at a hockey fan function that they'd be going to Wisconsin to play, and the coach of UAH said in an interview that they are playing at Wisconsin this year. That takes up all of their 4 non-cons plus the 2 for going to UAA this year. Not to mention that the only way it seems that the showcase would work is if it were a Friday/Sunday series which would be BS for the Michigan teams. Has anyone actually heard that the series is happening this year even though it was supposed to be the final time this year?

Comment

That's what I assumed, too. I recall hearing from somewhere that Wisconsin cancelled the remainder of their chunk of the College Hockey Showcase contract, ergo, the entire thing's wrecked and we're currently SOL for Thanksgiving weekend.

The upcoming schedule thread says otherwise, though.

How about this... if I see Comley at the baseball game today at Kobs, I'll ask him.
                Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                  That's what I assumed, too. I recall hearing from somewhere that Wisconsin cancelled the remainder of their chunk of the College Hockey Showcase contract, ergo, the entire thing's wrecked and we're currently SOL for Thanksgiving weekend.

The upcoming schedule thread says otherwise, though.

How about this... if I see Comley at the baseball game today at Kobs, I'll ask him.
                  I heard from Red, that Wisky wanted to expand the CHS to include Ohio State. Michigan and Minny told Wisconsin no and then Wisconsin took their puck and went home leaving everyone else SOL for next season. I have heard a few rumors (from MSUStudent on rivals.com) of who Michigan is going to play in place of Wisconsin (UNO and New Hampshire), but I have not heard anything about MSU. Too bad Wisky had to act like a ***** and ruin the entire CHS for everyone else.

Comment

It's too bad the Badgers had to ruin it for everyone. Even though MSU struggled in this event in recent years, it has been great to see UW and UMtc on the schedule each year. I was hoping that the Big Ten Network would help to continue the event, but then I remembered they dont care about hockey.
                    MICHIGAN STATE
                    1966:1986:2007

Comment

Any news regarding the Showcase, or are still on rumor feed?
                      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                        Any news regarding the Showcase, or are still on rumor feed?
                        I checked the threads of the other schools and there is not much info. In the 10-11 schedule thread it appears that Wisconsin is booked for another event. I assume that means there is no Showcase. That is really a shame.
                        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

• Yet another reason to mourn

First MSU varsity hockey coach, Paulsen, dies at 91
                          By: Chris Vannini
                          Source: www.statenews.com

Harold Paulsen, who helped found the MSU hockey program and was its first varsity coach, died on May 11 at the age of 91 in Mankato, Minn.

Although he had a 6-25 record in two seasons as head coach from 1949-51, Paulsen set a foundation for the hockey program and paved the way for Amo Bessone, who found much success in his 28 years as the head of the hockey program.

Paulsen oversaw renovations on Demonstration Hall to include an indoor hockey rink before taking over as head coach. Paulsen was also a star player for Minnesota from 1938-41 and was the school’s all-time leading scorer when he graduated in 1941.
                          "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

Tough year for Spartan Hockey coaches. First Amo, now Harold. It's not the record that made Paulson a great, but his reestablishment of our program. A great Spartan!
                            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

• Re: Yet another reason to mourn

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
                              First MSU varsity hockey coach, Paulsen, dies at 91
                              By: Chris Vannini
                              Source: www.statenews.com

Harold Paulsen, who helped found the MSU hockey program and was its first varsity coach, died on May 11 at the age of 91 in Mankato, Minn.

Although he had a 6-25 record in two seasons as head coach from 1949-51, Paulsen set a foundation for the hockey program and paved the way for Amo Bessone, who found much success in his 28 years as the head of the hockey program.

Paulsen oversaw renovations on Demonstration Hall to include an indoor hockey rink before taking over as head coach. Paulsen was also a star player for Minnesota from 1938-41 and was the school’s all-time leading scorer when he graduated in 1941.
                              My condolences.
                              Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                                Tough year for Spartan Hockey coaches. First Amo, now Harold. It's not the record that made Paulson a great, but his reestablishment of our program. A great Spartan!
                                Agree - Bessone put the program on the map, but if it weren't for Harold Paulsen's diligence, MSU hockey would never have gotten the solid footing on campus it needed. Bessone made Spartan hockey great, but Paulsen paved the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X