Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartan off-season - the grand flame-out

Originally posted by BlimpGuy View Post
    Out of next years seniors (Petry, Rowe, Gazley, Sturges, Shean and Tropp) who do you most want to see return?

Also, of those currently drafted on the team (Petry, Tropp, Leveille, Nill and Grant), who is most likely to leave early?

IMO Rowe is the guy I'd absolutely hate to see leave early. Most likely to leave would be Petry.
    Petry and Petry.

Edmonton's in dire need of talent right now. Petry's as good as gone.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I think Petry is the most likely to leave early but i feel like neither him nor Tropp actually will unless either of them are unhappy here. I could always be wrong but i don't think either of them are ready despite what popular opinion may be.
      So i guess i am saying that all seniors will return? I mean, I have no idea what Petry or Tropp may do but it is MY opinion that they would benefit from another year for development.

I still think our roster will be very good next year. Possibly the best that Comley has had to work with but if Owsla's feelings hold truth then it may set us back.

Don't underestimate what an offseason can do for development. Just look at the difference between this year and last. We may lose Petry or Tropp or Rowe, but we will have the personnel to improve.

God i hope we don't lose Rowe.

Comment

IMO Rowe is the guy I'd absolutely hate to see leave early. Most likely to leave would be Petry.
        d'accord

Comment

I don't see anyone other than Petry leaving early and even he might be a maybe. Depends on what's going on behind the scenes I guess, but Comley better have some good answers - which he won't.
          All hail the Big Ten and our Network!
          There thou beholdest the walls of Sparta, and every man a brick. -Lycurgus , 850 B.C

Comment

Originally posted by Sparty Foxbat View Post
            I don't see anyone other than Petry leaving early and even he might be a maybe. Depends on what's going on behind the scenes I guess, but Comley better have some good answers - which he won't.
            The last interview I heard with Comley (I believe it was the last radio show), he seemed to hint that we could lose a number of players for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              Is your team going to actually win a game there? What excuse will it be this year?
              We DO win games at the Joe already. Only when playing Michigan State in the semi-finals on Thursday (Super Six format) and the third place game (all flavors of the Championship format).
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by WildcatGoal View Post
                I was so hopefully you would have been able to keep the michigan fans out of the Joe.

Now we have to listen to that again.
                Again? You act like you go every year or something...
                Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The last interview I heard with Comley (I believe it was the last radio show), he seemed to hint that we could lose a number of players for next season.
                  "If people are leaving, I hope they leave early to be honest with you,'' Comley said. "We've had some kids turn us down recruitingwise because I can't guarantee them that people are leaving. So the pickings are a little bit slim right now.''

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    "If people are leaving, I hope they leave early to be honest with you,'' Comley said. "We've had some kids turn us down recruitingwise because I can't guarantee them that people are leaving. So the pickings are a little bit slim right now.''
                    Welcome to the H3!! that is UM Hockey every summer...

Comment

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
                      Welcome to the H3!! that is UM Hockey every summer...
                      Exactly how many nhl draft picks do you have on your team? do you think that has anything to do with the underachieving regular season?

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        The effort at Munn personified the pathetic fan interest. Then again, Lloyd Comley used the "youth" excuse.
                        The fanbase, I am starting to think, is responding to what has now been three consecutive seasons of relative mediocrity. Do you think I like having to sell my finals tickets for the second time in three years? Um, no.

It begins to look like MSU caught lightning in a bottle in 2007 and doesn't know how to find it again. What's the answer? I don't know, and I'm starting to wonder if Comley doesn't either.

Good luck to the remaining teams the rest of the way. May the best team win, and may they win cleanly.
                        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                          Exactly how many nhl draft picks do you have on your team? do you think that has anything to do with the underachieving regular season?
                          Tell me how that matters right now. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                            You have no idea who you are dealing with so I suggest that you just put the bong down slowly and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
                              It begins to look like MSU caught lightning in a bottle in 2007 and doesn't know how to find it again. What's the answer? I don't know, and I'm starting to wonder if Comley doesn't either.
                              I would love to hear more on this. Someone has to have answers, curious who that will be. I am NOT trying to "start something", but this statement makes me curiouser and curiouser...
                              "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Comley lost this team two weeks ago.
                                are you referring to the Johnston thing? Things tend to build up over a course of a season, he may have lost them long before 2 weeks ago.

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                                I think Petry is the most likely to leave early but i feel like neither him nor Tropp actually will unless either of them are unhappy here. I could always be wrong but i don't think either of them are ready despite what popular opinion may be.
                                So i guess i am saying that all seniors will return? I mean, I have no idea what Petry or Tropp may do but it is MY opinion that they would benefit from another year for development.
                                It just depends on what Edmonton has in their plans for Petry and Buffalo for Tropp. Not every team is ready to take their college based players. By waiting and letting them develope in college, the free agent clock does not start for these players.

I compare Petry situation to 2 juniors who left last year. Defensemen Brian Strait left BU and Jamie McBain left Wisconsin after their junior years. Both have played all year in the AHL without a call up. I have to wonder if either regrets their decision - sure it is great to make money but if you are 1 year from finishing school (or something close) then why not be the big banana? I realize all 3 of these players were basically the premier player on their respective teams as juniors but why not for another year?

The problem I see with Tropp is that he is drafted and not a free agent. But should he wait a year, be a productive as he was this season, he could be a free agent and command similar money to forward Casey Wellman of UMass. It is reported on the Minnesota Wild beat writer's blog that Wellman will sign a $900K per year free agent contract tomorrow. His stats are not much different than Tropp's 20-22-42 (compared to 23-22-45 for Wellman). Problem is Tropp is drafted and not a free agent. But should he wait a year, be a productive as he was this season, he could be a free agent and command similar money. Unless of course Buffalo offers similar money, then maybe he has to go...

"If people are leaving, I hope they leave early o be honest with you,'' Comley said. "We've had some kids turn us down recruitingwise because I can't guarantee them that people are leaving. So the pickings are a little bit slim right now.''
                                If they respect the coach and the program, they will state their intentions and live with them. If they respect only themselves, then they won't. Should the temptation be too great during the pro team's prospect camp in June or July, well then the coach has a personnel problem.

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                                I would love to hear more on this. Someone has to have answers, curious who that will be. I am NOT trying to "start something", but this statement makes me curiouser and curiouser...
                                I was told by some parents of the players on that national championship team that the players basically checked out on the coach and played for themselves...and won the title. If so, then the Johnston issue really does not surprise me.
                                Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Working...
                                X