X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STATEdude3
    replied
    Re: MSU Spartan off-season - the grand flame-out

I have intentionally avoided this board for the last week. I am still frustrated by last weekends sweep. I am not going to read this thread until we see how the CCHA tournament plays out, but oh how I wish things had played out differently. This season was the polar opposite of everything we are used to lately (cold starts/hot finishes). I am unsure about my feelings about the program as a whole right now.

I'll come back Monday and try to have a little more composure.

Leave a comment:

• Sparty Foxbat
    replied

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    Well for what it's worth, in the article the State News had today about Petry and Tropp facing the decision of possibly leaving, there was a small mention that apparently Comley said that Rowe has told him that he is "Definetely not" leaving.
    That's a bright spot! Oh well, congregate on the RCMB for tonight's big game!

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaurus
    replied

Well for what it's worth, in the article the State News had today about Petry and Tropp facing the decision of possibly leaving, there was a small mention that apparently Comley said that Rowe has told him that he is "Definetely not" leaving.

Leave a comment:

• scullyer
    replied

Originally posted by BlimpGuy View Post
    Out of next years seniors (Petry, Rowe, Gazley, Sturges, Shean and Tropp) who do you most want to see return?

Also, of those currently drafted on the team (Petry, Tropp, Leveille, Nill and Grant), who is most likely to leave early?

IMO Rowe is the guy I'd absolutely hate to see leave early. Most likely to leave would be Petry.
    Stay: Petry (solid), Gazely (put on a 3rd/4th line), Rowe (my fav since he was a frosh), Tropp (needs to finish in the Hobey hunt).

Most likely: Tropp for his NHL type wrister.

Hate to lose: 1a. Petry 1b. Rowe

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

Originally posted by alnike View Post
    Ratchuk was the only surprise departure that offseason.
    Both Kennedy and Abdelkader were decent NHL prospects; both played three years of college hockey and won a national tournament; Kennedy played an extra year of juniors and obviously a year older; Abdelkader had a chance to sign with his homestate team? Hmmm, I'm surprised they didn't sign after their sophomore years.

Petry is a bit older, a late '87 with a rebuilding Edmonton team. I bet they sign him and start him in the AHL soon.

I think Tropp stays, unless he wants to move on from the "college environment". Not sure how highly he rates with Buffalo's other prospects.
    His production tailed off since the GLI. He made a big improvement in the offseason and along with MSU, surprised many teams in the first half of the season.

Tropp's stats in first 20 games were 16-11=27 MSU record was 12-6-2
    Tropp's stats in last 17 games were 4-11=15 MSU record was 7-7-4

Rowe is an '88, made a big improvement in his offense (thanks to playing Michigan 6x) and could be attractive on the open market with his size.
    I think Tropp stays for exactly the above two reasons. I'll add there's now something gnawing at him having to helplessly watch after (b) Saturday night's freak accident (a) watching Munn basically fall into the hands of an occupying force - and hence here's the "unfinished business" motivation.

The stat in bold has a lot to do with teams employing a rather simple strategy - put an extra body (or 2) on him when he's skating toward the net.
    Last edited by owslachief; 03-16-2010, 06:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alnike
    replied

Originally posted by Sparty Foxbat View Post
    I guess that's much better than what seems to have been his not anticipating Abdelkader and Kennedy leaving
    Ratchuk was the only surprise departure that offseason.
    Both Kennedy and Abdelkader were decent NHL prospects; both played three years of college hockey and won a national tournament; Kennedy played an extra year of juniors and obviously a year older; Abdelkader had a chance to sign with his homestate team? Hmmm, I'm surprised they didn't sign after their sophomore years.

Petry is a bit older, a late '87 with a rebuilding Edmonton team. I bet they sign him and start him in the AHL soon.

I think Tropp stays, unless he wants to move on from the "college environment". Not sure how highly he rates with Buffalo's other prospects.
    His production tailed off since the GLI. He made a big improvement in the offseason and along with MSU, surprised many teams in the first half of the season.

Tropp's stats in first 20 games were 16-11=27 MSU record was 12-6-2
    Tropp's stats in last 17 games were 4-11=15 MSU record was 7-7-4

Rowe is an '88, made a big improvement in his offense (thanks to playing Michigan 6x) and could be attractive on the open market with his size.

Leave a comment:

• Sparty Foxbat
    replied

The last interview I heard with Comley (I believe it was the last radio show), he seemed to hint that we could lose a number of players for next season.
    I guess that's much better than what seems to have been his not anticipating Abdelkader and Kennedy leaving

Leave a comment:

• observer85
    replied

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    Comley lost this team two weeks ago.
    are you referring to the Johnston thing? Things tend to build up over a course of a season, he may have lost them long before 2 weeks ago.

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    I think Petry is the most likely to leave early but i feel like neither him nor Tropp actually will unless either of them are unhappy here. I could always be wrong but i don't think either of them are ready despite what popular opinion may be.
    So i guess i am saying that all seniors will return? I mean, I have no idea what Petry or Tropp may do but it is MY opinion that they would benefit from another year for development.
    It just depends on what Edmonton has in their plans for Petry and Buffalo for Tropp. Not every team is ready to take their college based players. By waiting and letting them develope in college, the free agent clock does not start for these players.

I compare Petry situation to 2 juniors who left last year. Defensemen Brian Strait left BU and Jamie McBain left Wisconsin after their junior years. Both have played all year in the AHL without a call up. I have to wonder if either regrets their decision - sure it is great to make money but if you are 1 year from finishing school (or something close) then why not be the big banana? I realize all 3 of these players were basically the premier player on their respective teams as juniors but why not for another year?

The problem I see with Tropp is that he is drafted and not a free agent. But should he wait a year, be a productive as he was this season, he could be a free agent and command similar money to forward Casey Wellman of UMass. It is reported on the Minnesota Wild beat writer's blog that Wellman will sign a $900K per year free agent contract tomorrow. His stats are not much different than Tropp's 20-22-42 (compared to 23-22-45 for Wellman). Problem is Tropp is drafted and not a free agent. But should he wait a year, be a productive as he was this season, he could be a free agent and command similar money. Unless of course Buffalo offers similar money, then maybe he has to go...

"If people are leaving, I hope they leave early o be honest with you,'' Comley said. "We've had some kids turn us down recruitingwise because I can't guarantee them that people are leaving. So the pickings are a little bit slim right now.''
    If they respect the coach and the program, they will state their intentions and live with them. If they respect only themselves, then they won't. Should the temptation be too great during the pro team's prospect camp in June or July, well then the coach has a personnel problem.

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
    I would love to hear more on this. Someone has to have answers, curious who that will be. I am NOT trying to "start something", but this statement makes me curiouser and curiouser...
    I was told by some parents of the players on that national championship team that the players basically checked out on the coach and played for themselves...and won the title. If so, then the Johnston issue really does not surprise me.

Leave a comment:

• Nevergoodenough
    replied

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
    It begins to look like MSU caught lightning in a bottle in 2007 and doesn't know how to find it again. What's the answer? I don't know, and I'm starting to wonder if Comley doesn't either.
    I would love to hear more on this. Someone has to have answers, curious who that will be. I am NOT trying to "start something", but this statement makes me curiouser and curiouser...

Leave a comment:

• UMICHhockeyRULZ
    replied

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    Exactly how many nhl draft picks do you have on your team? do you think that has anything to do with the underachieving regular season?
    You have no idea who you are dealing with so I suggest that you just put the bong down slowly and walk away.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    Exactly how many nhl draft picks do you have on your team? do you think that has anything to do with the underachieving regular season?
    Tell me how that matters right now. Really.

Leave a comment:

• Arwen22266
    replied

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    The effort at Munn personified the pathetic fan interest. Then again, Lloyd Comley used the "youth" excuse.
    The fanbase, I am starting to think, is responding to what has now been three consecutive seasons of relative mediocrity. Do you think I like having to sell my finals tickets for the second time in three years? Um, no.

It begins to look like MSU caught lightning in a bottle in 2007 and doesn't know how to find it again. What's the answer? I don't know, and I'm starting to wonder if Comley doesn't either.

Good luck to the remaining teams the rest of the way. May the best team win, and may they win cleanly.

Leave a comment:

• gomsuman
    replied

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
    Welcome to the H3!! that is UM Hockey every summer...

Leave a comment:

• UMICHhockeyRULZ
    replied

"If people are leaving, I hope they leave early to be honest with you,'' Comley said. "We've had some kids turn us down recruitingwise because I can't guarantee them that people are leaving. So the pickings are a little bit slim right now.''
    Welcome to the H3!! that is UM Hockey every summer...

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

The last interview I heard with Comley (I believe it was the last radio show), he seemed to hint that we could lose a number of players for next season.
    "If people are leaving, I hope they leave early to be honest with you,'' Comley said. "We've had some kids turn us down recruitingwise because I can't guarantee them that people are leaving. So the pickings are a little bit slim right now.''

Leave a comment:

Working...
X