X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
    Sad to say, but the good old days of sitting up at front row with dan, josh and dave were also the good old days when UNH was a threat. A trend since 2003 is evident, and sad to say with defections like cam ried, i don't see it changing all that much.

maybe instead of firing Umile, lets re-hire coach mac. I don't know how many more girls have to leave that squad before they realize he should be coaching the mens squad!
    First, Umile is going nowhere. He will leave when he wants to, not because of some groundwell of riled up fans. Whether that is good or bad is irrelevant, it's just a fact.

As for the other point, we ran into John Sadowski (with son) and Sean Austin at the game last night. First question they ask, where are all the fans? It's certainly not like the old days. What can you say? That the fans are jaded (to a certain extent) and it was a miserable night (tough drive home after, for sure). What I really wanted to say was that the team is just not as exciting as it used to be.

When those two guys were at UNH they played with Mowers, Krog, Bekar, Haydar, et al. Compare that with today. I think Bobby Butler is a great player. He was fantastic last night and it would be a shame if he had to end his UNH career on the short end of two 1-0 shutouts. But as good as Bobby is, is he as good as the aforementioned, or guys like C. Hemingway, S. Collins, Gare and the like? Perhaps, but I know dam well that other members of the first two lines aren't. Bottom line, and Watcher has talked about this forever, we are not getting the caliber of player that we got in the past. Hardly ever do you see someone jump out of their seat because of some play by a UNHer. That was routine in the old days (6-7 years ago and before). I'll leave it to the recruiting gurus to reassure me that some talent is coming our way. Let's hope so, because the cupboard is pretty bare right now.

Comment

hey, look at the bright side. two new hampshire boys influenced the outcome of this series for uvm; anctil and higgins. both players probably overlooked by umile and his staff(presumably!) came back to bite the wildcats. good for them this happens all too often in sports?

on another note....wouldn't it be nice to see uvm put it to bc?
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        hey, look at the bright side. two new hampshire boys influenced the outcome of this series for uvm; anctil and higgins. both players probably overlooked by umile and his staff(presumably!) came back to bite the wildcats. good for them this happens all too often in sports?

on another note....wouldn't it be nice to see uvm put it to bc?
        yeah that's fantastic.

And on most occasions, I'd say it'd be great, but in a case where BC winning is better for UNH's chances to make the NCAA's, I'll say go Eagles.

Comment

I am indifferent about UNH making the NCAAs. I am not sure they deserve it. But we live in a world of math where the entire season counts so:

After playing with the predictor this morning and if the higher seed always wins UNH is in. There are many chances for UNH to be in with upsets some even help. I figured UNH was a long shot at best to get in, now I think that they are better than a coin flip to get in.

It appears UNH's chances are tied to 4 teams around them in the PWR.

UMD,
          Ferris,
          Northern and
          Vermont.

If Ferris or Northern pick up two L and the other one L, UNH can be as high as 11th or 12th (with the favorite winning elsewhere). This isn't that hard these 2 play each other and Miami, it only requires one Michigan upset but two (Mich beating Miami) by the Maze and Blue works also. The flip between 11 and 12 is who wins the NMU and Ferris match-up, Ferris wins and UNH is 12.

Vermont is all sorts of trouble. IF BC beats Vermont it is a big help to UNH. Right now UNH still takes the Vermont comparison and there are many situations with BC beating Vermont that leave UVM and UNH tied for the last spot with UNH taking the tie breaker.

UND beating UMD is helpful. There is all sorts of weirdness that can happen if UMD beats UND.

I'll play with the predictor some more later and post the interesting results related to UNH.
          Last edited by JB; 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            When those two guys were at UNH they played with Mowers, Krog, Bekar, Haydar, et al. Compare that with today. I think Bobby Butler is a great player. He was fantastic last night and it would be a shame if he had to end his UNH career on the short end of two 1-0 shutouts. But as good as Bobby is, is he as good as the aforementioned, or guys like C. Hemingway, S. Collins, Gare and the like? Perhaps, but I know dam well that other members of the first two lines aren't. Bottom line, and Watcher has talked about this forever, we are not getting the caliber of player that we got in the past. Hardly ever do you see someone jump out of their seat because of some play by a UNHer. That was routine in the old days (6-7 years ago and before). I'll leave it to the recruiting gurus to reassure me that some talent is coming our way. Let's hope so, because the cupboard is pretty bare right now.
            Reid might have changed this direction some. Unfortunately, he didn't get in for whatever reason.

Right now this is a program in decline and it is sad. That decline is why the attendance isn't up there anymore, regular season (empty seats on sold tickets) or playoffs.

Too long has the Athletic Department held on to 20 win seasons and consecutive NCAA season / home for the quarter finals. No 20 wins this year without a miracle and maybe missing the NCAAs would be a good boot in the butt.

As much as I like Butler on some past teams he might not have made the second line.

Also I didn't see the 4th line after the 1st period last night. If those guys are that bad why are they and the forwards that didn't even dress the roster.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

heh, we all sound like old cronies talking about the good old days. Again, mad props to guys like butler who can find a corner like anyone, but I agree he would have struggled to make the second line on the 2002 squad.

Part of the decline is UNH, but part of it is college hockey as a whole too. Kids who want in the NHL play in Major juniors, or at BC, BU, Michigan should they chose college. College hockey needs to be more competitive or else it will be more of the same.
              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Generally it doesn't appear to be a good thing for SCSU to drop two games. They were .500 against their likely competition (Wisco and then either Denver or UND). They were 1-0-1 against UMD. SCSU dropping 2 lets Vermont take that comparison and move out of a tie with UNH, a tie which UNH wins.

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                  Part of the decline is UNH, but part of it is college hockey as a whole too. Kids who want in the NHL play in Major juniors, or at BC, BU, Michigan should they chose college. College hockey needs to be more competitive or else it will be more of the same.
                  True, but everyone is competing for the same talent and UNH is not getting it anymore. Also, when I think back to some of great players UNH picked up in the "good old days" (Mowers, Krog, Haydar, etc.), they were mostly overlooked by the top D-I programs (UNH probably wasn't considered a top program in those days), and this was mainly due to good recruiting on UNH's part (McCloskey), as well as a bit of luck. Well now we really miss McCloskey and have no luck (ie. Bourke, Reid, etc). It is kind of like when Walsh was gone from Maine, it took some time but after awhile his influence wore off and the program sufferred. Same thing in Durham with Coach Mac (btw, for the Mainers out there, I am not comparing Maine's NC years to UNH, just what can happen after the loss of a coach).
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

People may think this is a far-fetched logic chain, but I don't. Youth hockey is expensive. In this economy, parents are struggling to make mortgage payments, never mind outfitting kids with all the gear and the ice time on top of that. Some schools and local communities are dropping youth hockey altogether. So the pool of truly 'local' talent is going to suffer mightily in years to come, as this 'negative bubble' works its way through time.
                    Chris V
                    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

What I have to say this morning is "expletive deleted". We had our chances. "and when finally the bottom fell out I became withdrawn. The only thing I knew how to do was to keep on keepin' on..." GO BC
                      Last edited by tangledupinblue; 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tangledupinblue View Post
                        What I have to say this morning is "expletive deleted". We had our chances. "and when finally the bottom fell out I became withdrawn. The only thing I knew how to do was to keep on keepin' on..." GO BC
                        "like a bird that flew"

Comment

UNH draws 2500 people to a deciding playoff game??...that is pathetic. Is it the economy, fan apathy, Sunday night or a combination? It was embarrassing how quiet the Whitt was during the first two games of this series. Was it any better last night? I had to work and missed the game.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised though as there's very little passion for the team from the fans for the most part. Seeing the exodus to the exits with two minutes to go in a tie game with BC last week says it all....

Comment

Thanks for finishing Wildshawn. Furthermore:"We always did feel the same , We just saw it from a different point of view"...

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              I am indifferent about UNH making the NCAAs. I am not sure they deserve it. But we live in a world of math where the entire season counts so:

After playing with the predictor this morning and if the higher seed always wins UNH is in. There are many chances for UNH to be in with upsets some even help. I figured UNH was a long shot at best to get in, now I think that they are better than a coin flip to get in.

It appears UNH's chances are tied to 4 teams around them in the PWR.

UMD,
                              Ferris,
                              Northern and
                              Vermont.

If Ferris or Northern pick up two L and the other one L, UNH can be as high as 11th or 12th (with the favorite winning elsewhere). This isn't that hard these 2 play each other and Miami, it only requires one Michigan upset but two (Mich beating Miami) by the Maze and Blue works also. The flip between 11 and 12 is who wins the NMU and Ferris match-up, Ferris wins and UNH is 12.

Vermont is all sorts of trouble. IF BC beats Vermont it is a big help to UNH. Right now UNH still takes the Vermont comparison and there are many situations with BC beating Vermont that leave UVM and UNH tied for the last spot with UNH taking the tie breaker.

UND beating UMD is helpful. There is all sorts of weirdness that can happen if UMD beats UND.

I'll play with the predictor some more later and post the interesting results related to UNH.
                              I have uvm getting to finals against BU , with Bu winning , gets unh to 9th ...
                              i flip flopped had vermont beating bu and we were 11th . had cornell winning ecac. playing with it more , but unless there is an upset in every league championchip cant see how unh doesnt get in .

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                                yeah that's fantastic.

And on most occasions, I'd say it'd be great, but in a case where BC winning is better for UNH's chances to make the NCAA's, I'll say go Eagles.

well if thats the case then by all means "go Eagles".
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X