This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

I hate this as much as everyone else, but the currently-constituted UNH Wildcats in the playoffs have become an enormous joke, and the legend grows every year, and there are at least fifteen teams' fanbases that are laughing at us, thinking that if we just cut our losses and hired a mercenary that we'd be very tough to beat.

But instead we stand pat and when the playoffs come we all try to manage our anxiety and get through it. It sucks. It really does. I'm tired of it. I don't fear dropping to 32nd in the RPI or becoming irrelevant, as the "grass isn't always greener on the other side" crowd does. If that's what happens, it happens, ces't la vie. I'll ante up. I want a change now, and I'll be happy to put my money where my (big) mouth is on this issue. I am just tired of the whole song and dance. How can anyone not be tired of it at this point? Umile is the greatest coach in school history, but let's roll the dice on someone else. Come on. Let's step up to the plate and get it done. Now.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      My guess is that UNH may squeak into a regional against Wisco or Miami. When was the last time that a big four conference RS winner did not get to the NCAAs?
      Agree.. as a matter of fact the first scenario I ran on the PWR Predictor had UNH as a three seed

Comment

Originally posted by pgv View Post
        Agree.. as a matter of fact the first scenario I ran on the PWR Predictor had UNH as a three seed
        IS IT UP AND RUNNING .

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
          IS IT UP AND RUNNING .
          Yep...the first scenario I ran was all the favorites winning...UNH was 12th

Comment

WOW YOUR RIGHT , I PUT IN RIT LOSING , AND GOT THEM TO 10TH, SCARY. IN FACT I CHANGED A FEW SCENARIOS AND HAD BU BEATING UVM IN FINALS AND THEY ENDED UP 8TH. NOT THAT I THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN ..
            Last edited by unh1982; 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I ran it with a UW win over DU in the WCHA Final 5 and we came out tied for 11th, I think that may be the best we can hope for.
              A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                I ran it with a UW win over DU in the WCHA Final 5 and we came out tied for 11th, I think that may be the best we can hope for.
                NO I RAN IT WITH UVM MEATING BU IN FINALE , WITH BU WINNING AND GOT 8TH .. I ALSO RAN MOST OF FAVORITES WINNING AND GOT 10TH , ALSO SHOWED rit LOSING AND IT GOT EVEN BETTER,

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  My guess is that UNH may squeak into a regional against Wisco or Miami. When was the last time that a big four conference RS winner did not get to the NCAAs?
                  I believe it was one of Lucias first couple of CC teams, 1994 maybe?

I have run a number of predictors with different scenarios and I think there are a ton of ways UNH still makes it. I would imagine there would be quite a few where they'd come up just short as well. At least you have something at stake...

Comment

UNH1982 - turn off the Caps Lock.

I have no idea how a team this flawed won the Regular Season. They may work hard, but they make some awful decisions, and I don't think it can all be laid at the feet of the coaches, or credited to the trap.

UNH got some decent shots in the third/OT, but I don't think they got their stick on a single offensive zone rebound the entire game. Any time there was an offensive chance where the play continued, the puck ended up on a UVM player's stick.

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                    I don't want to pile on, I'd have preferred UNH won tonight... but... Are you kidding me? No one wants to play UNH in the NCAAs? I would think it's the opposite.
                    Yeah, it sounds like if UNH makes the tourney, they'll be a low 3/high 4 seed (I'm thinking 11-14), meaning they'd play someone in the 3-6 range. I gotta think any of the top 6 teams in the country would be licking their chops to draw UNH in the first round. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that teams that look like they're going to be in that range are actively hoping things break right for UNH to squeak into the tourney.
                    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

I know this is going to end up being a bad post, but it's crap I feel needs to be said in light of tonight's game against UVM.

First off, this has been one of the most enjoyable UNH teams I've ever seen play, and it's a shame that it comes down to scoreboard-watching to see whether we make NCAA's or not. We are not be the most talented team in the country, but we have played like it. We've taken Miami and BC to the brink..so we CAN do it.

On the flip side, we've also gotten smoked by Bucky, lost to RPI, and lost (on home ice) to a UVM team which so heavily relied on trap defense it makes me nauseous just thinking about this weekend's series.

It hurts so much right now thinking about what this team COULD HAVE done. How close they've come, hell...tonight was the best example, we could have scored 4 goals in that overtime period if the puck bounced the other way.

But I guess that's how life is sometimes. You're so close, and you wish you could reach out with your stick to knock in a sure thing...but it's just out of reach. Then someone else takes it away from you, and there nothing you can do but watch in horror/anger/shock/sadness as he scores on a fluke chance. It's not right when that happens, in hockey or in life, but it's what makes us...as fans and as people...a little stronger and a lot wiser for the future.

But enough philosophizing. It sucks what happened to this team, it sucks that now we'll be blamed for breaking the PWR Predictor trying to figure out how we get into the NCAA's.

Tomorrow, we've all gotta get up, go to work, and move on with life. Because there's always another game.
                      A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                        I gotta think any of the top 6 teams in the country would be licking their chops to draw UNH in the first round. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that teams that look like they're going to be in that range are actively hoping things break right for UNH to squeak into the tourney.
                        Absolutely right. When UNH is favored, they lose by three goals in the tourney. A Wisco-UNH or Miami-UNH matchup has 9-2 loss written all over it.

Chuck Murray was as right as anyone in the history of this board has been when he said that 2002-2003 were the "good old days" for UNH. God, he was incredibly prescient, and I hate him for it.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                          I have no idea how a team this flawed won the Regular Season.
                          Well, they had more points than the 2nd place team.

Seriously though, this league is terribly mediocre this year. 3-10 was terribly mediocre. They all beat each other up and BC just fell short by 1 pt.

The scary thing about going into that 3rd period magic all the time in the RS for UNH this season is that you just know you can't sustain that and it will be expected and won't happen in the playoffs.
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            Well, they had more points than the 2nd place team.

Seriously though, this league is terribly mediocre this year. 3-10 was terribly mediocre. They all beat each other up and BC just fell short by 1 pt.
                            My question was concerning how that happened, and yeah, I guess it was more the fact that the rest of the league was so even.

The scary thing about going into that 3rd period magic all the time in the RS for UNH this season is that you just know you can't sustain that and it will be expected and won't happen in the playoffs.
                            We were discussing that earlier in this thread, and it really showed yesterday. Just needed one goal to tie, couldn't get it done. And then tonight, one goal would have won it, couldn't do it.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                              I know this is going to end up being a bad post, but it's crap I feel needs to be said in light of tonight's game against UVM.

First off, this has been one of the most enjoyable UNH teams I've ever seen play, and it's a shame that it comes down to scoreboard-watching to see whether we make NCAA's or not. We are not be the most talented team in the country, but we have played like it. We've taken Miami and BC to the brink..so we CAN do it.

On the flip side, we've also gotten smoked by Bucky, lost to RPI, and lost (on home ice) to a UVM team which so heavily relied on trap defense it makes me nauseous just thinking about this weekend's series.

It hurts so much right now thinking about what this team COULD HAVE done. How close they've come, hell...tonight was the best example, we could have scored 4 goals in that overtime period if the puck bounced the other way.

But I guess that's how life is sometimes. You're so close, and you wish you could reach out with your stick to knock in a sure thing...but it's just out of reach. Then someone else takes it away from you, and there nothing you can do but watch in horror/anger/shock/sadness as he scores on a fluke chance. It's not right when that happens, in hockey or in life, but it's what makes us...as fans and as people...a little stronger and a lot wiser for the future.

But enough philosophizing. It sucks what happened to this team, it sucks that now we'll be blamed for breaking the PWR Predictor trying to figure out how we get into the NCAA's.

Tomorrow, we've all gotta get up, go to work, and move on with life. Because there's always another game.

Guys...RELAX!!! You are GOING to the NCAAs. You won't drop below 13th and unless there are MORE than three "out of the top 16" teams that win their conference tournaments, you are all set. I know my credibility is at risk admitting that I'm a BU fan who was at the Frozen Four last year, but scoring goes down in the post-season. UNH has traditionally relied on a wide-open, high-scoring style, and, let's say, hasn't regarded defense as a high priority. Then they get into a game against a team like Vermont that can shut them down and they start to tighten up the longer the game goes, because they're not scoring at will like they are used to. The same thing happened to us last year. We were scoring goals in record numbers, but started to struggle in the post-season. You can win Hockey East with offense, but you win national championships with defense. I also think it does no good to play in an Olympic size rink when NONE of the other rinks in post-season are. It's like what used to happen to the Red Sox, when they could never win consistently away from Fenway. I hope you win a couple and get to the Frozen Four, because, #1, it's good for the league, and #2, I really DO like UNH (except when you play us). Many folks in my family went there. I also admire your fan base...we are two miles from the Garden and can't get half as many fans there as UNH and Maine. So, good luck!

Comment

UNH-UVM postgame video from Biz Jacobs of Inside Hockey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRpMCN-yOk

Comment

Working...
                                X