Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who'd of thunk it - 2 CHA teams in the Big Skate

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    I wish I could post for the record by who and when this information was given to me, but I can sort of be a second source for what streaker posted. In addition I have been led to believe that the schools in the CCHA are waiting to see how a few other things play out in the next season or two.
    Geof/Douglas,
    Have you two considered using this approach? Just be the "second source" for each other when challenged on your inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
      Geof/Douglas,
      Have you two considered using this approach? Just be the "second source" for each other when challenged on your inputs.
      I prefer to use my mom for the second source.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        I'll call bs on that one. If we are going to circle back to this argument, it wasn't the "hockey elite" schools that had concerns about letting UAH in the CCHA. It was the smaller schools with tighter budgets that voiced concerns about entry. Keep propagating the bitter nonsense, especially since the door isn't closed. Instead, blame the body of institutions that make up the NCAA for their indifference towards what is right for college hockey.
        After watching this circle around and around with everyone claiming to have sources which they can't divulge, I'll call bs. The "hockey elite" have the power to speak up, let their vote be known, and influence "what is right for college hockey". In absence of that, they are every bit as much of the problem as "the smaller schools". Plus, I think $ isn't as much of the real reason as just the "laziness" of not wanting to travel and the simple elitist attitude of "they shouldn't be playing hockey in Alabama".

Comment

Geof/Douglas,
          Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          I prefer to use my mom for the second source.

GFM
          Geof second sourced your mom last night. Oooh!
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

After watching this circle around and around with everyone claiming to have sources which they can't divulge, I'll call bs. The "hockey elite" have the power to speak up, let their vote be known, and influence "what is right for college hockey". In absence of that, they are every bit as much of the problem as "the smaller schools". Plus, I think $ isn't as much of the real reason as just the "laziness" of not wanting to travel and the simple elitist attitude of "they shouldn't be playing hockey in Alabama".

If you really think this boils down to petty attitudes regarding travel and geographical profiling, then you need a bottle and a nap. Just make sure you stomp your foot extra hard next time and the CCHA may change its mind. Keep pointing fingers and making up excuses. When is your institution going to take ownership of the situation and make their appeal more economically compelling to the CCHA? Why is it that they are the only team in the CHA looking for a home? Somehow I am missing the part where UAH shares some of the burden of responsibility here instead of being the poor abused victim of the hockey elite. Spare me the bleeding heart spin where the CCHA institutions are dastardly villains.

I like GF Morris' approach much better. Stop poking the stick at the dogs guarding the gate. The chances that they'll curry favor for you are greater that way.

Comment

If you really think this boils down to petty attitudes regarding travel and geographical profiling, then you need a bottle and a nap. Just make sure you stomp your foot extra hard next time and the CCHA may change its mind. Keep pointing fingers and making up excuses. When is your institution going to take ownership of the situation and make their appeal more economically compelling to the CCHA? Why is it that they are the only team in the CHA looking for a home? Somehow I am missing the part where UAH shares some of the burden of responsibility here instead of being the poor abused victim of the hockey elite. Spare me the bleeding heart spin where the CCHA institutions are dastardly villains.

I like GF Morris' approach much better. Stop poking the stick at the dogs guarding the gate. The chances that they'll curry favor for you are greater that way.
              No, I'm just realistic. And no, the CCHA institutions aren't dastardly villains. Human nature is to stay in your comfort zone and adhere only to a "how does this affect me?" approach. No, UAH is not a victim. It's just in an unfortunate situation. And no, the CCHA is highly unlikely to "curry favor" regardless of what UAH does or does not do as long as each institution can blame another and stay in their comfort zone. Reread your "need a bottle and a nap" comments and ask yourself how mature they are. Regarding "poking the stick at the dogs guarding the gate" do you actually think they waste their time with this dribble? I'm only wasting my time to entertain myself following shoulder surgery. Yes Douglas, I've got my arm strapped to my side until 14 April.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Geof second sourced your mom last night. Oooh!
                I wondered how long that loose puck would sit in the slot...

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

No, I'm just realistic. And no, the CCHA institutions aren't dastardly villains. Human nature is to stay in your comfort zone and adhere only to a "how does this affect me?" approach. No, UAH is not a victim. It's just in an unfortunate situation. And no, the CCHA is highly unlikely to "curry favor" regardless of what UAH does or does not do as long as each institution can blame another and stay in their comfort zone. Reread your "need a bottle and a nap" comments and ask yourself how mature they are. Regarding "poking the stick at the dogs guarding the gate" do you actually think they waste their time with this dribble? I'm only wasting my time to entertain myself following shoulder surgery. Yes Douglas, I've got my arm strapped to my side until 14 April.
                  No, re-read your post whining about petty nonsense, bitterly pointing at our conference and the anchor teams in it. Deal with the fact that this is not the CCHA's issue. If it is a good fit, then so be it. Doing something to benefit one team at the sacrifice of some others may not be in the best interests of college hockey, either. If the comfort zone you are referring to makes economic sense, then so be it.

Comment

Thanks! It's easy to pit it as UAH against the rest of the college hockey community, especially the CCHA, but CCHA teams and all of college hockey are working to schedule us for games. I prefer the approach that works with people where at all possible.

I mean, I may not like AHA much, but hey.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                      When explored a couple of years before Air Force was accepted into AH, UAH was told that they didn't fit the AH footprint... and AF does?
                      No matter how many times this is repeated as if it is truth, the situations are not analogous, and will never be.

When Alabama-Huntsville was talking about joining the MAAC, the league was 8 teams, concentrated almost entirely between Boston and New York, most of which had just started playing Division I hockey, and were beholden to the concerns of a league in which seven of the member schools did not play hockey within the league, did not give a fig for the concerns of hockey, and were concerned with the conference bottom line.

When Air Force approached Atlantic Hockey, two of the main voices for cost-containment had dropped their programs, and the league was not being governed by a voice that was seeking to protect the interests of seven teams who would never play hockey inside that league.

I hope my hidden message of how different the situations was not too subtle.
                      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

No, re-read your post whining about petty nonsense, bitterly pointing at our conference and the anchor teams in it. Deal with the fact that this is not the CCHA's issue. If it is a good fit, then so be it. Doing something to benefit one team at the sacrifice of some others may not be in the best interests of college hockey, either. If the comfort zone you are referring to makes economic sense, then so be it.
                        OK, I re-read it and don't see any whining, nonsense, or bitter pointing. I just see a realistic assessment of a situation that is, i.m.h.o., more than just economics.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                          I hope my hidden message of how different the situations was not too subtle.
                          :lol: Nice. Seriously, I'm going to ask: is AHA still a cost-containment league, or are member schools able to offer up to 18 schollies? I ask because I don't know the answer, and I hope that you, being someone knowledgeable about the league, will have an answer.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

:lol: Nice. Seriously, I'm going to ask: is AHA still a cost-containment league, or are member schools able to offer up to 18 schollies? I ask because I don't know the answer, and I hope that you, being someone knowledgeable about the league, will have an answer.

GFM
                            They are still scholarship limited, though the number was recently bumped up to 12 as I recall. My estimation is that most of the current league would not be in favor of a full increase, but are less resistant to the idea than perhaps in the past (even the ones that can but don't give out scholarships, like UConn, might want to someday, and the de jure non-scholarship schools generally compete well enough inside the league and out that it won't affect their performance bottom line). Niagara and BobMo might provide a voice for a future increase, and may have gotten a concession that the league would at least consider it as part of their joining the conference.

As far as the travel side of things, naturally the inclusion of Air Force kinda threw that one out of the window. None of the teams have been particularly resistant to extra-regional travel for out of league games anyway, though, in recent years.
                            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                              They are still scholarship limited, though the number was recently bumped up to 12 as I recall. My estimation is that most of the current league would not be in favor of a full increase, but are less resistant to the idea than perhaps in the past (even the ones that can but don't give out scholarships, like UConn, might want to someday, and the de jure non-scholarship schools generally compete well enough inside the league and out that it won't affect their performance bottom line). Niagara and BobMo might provide a voice for a future increase, and may have gotten a concession that the league would at least consider it as part of their joining the conference.
                              Thanks for the info. I also didn't know that UConn didn't offer schollies.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I also didn't know that UConn didn't offer schollies.

GFM
                                I always find the concept of Army and Air Force being 100% scholarships interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X