Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who'd of thunk it - 2 CHA teams in the Big Skate

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    There are larger problems you should all be getting your panties in a jumble for, like healthcare, taxes, whether or not your Prius is going to stop before you hit that giant tree or why the hell can't I fry a decent egg...
    This is really a dumb statement. I don't fall on the side of the whiners, but saying that people shouldn't complain about something because you think it's trivial compared to a variety of non-related items is really pretty childish.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      The automatic response for anyone who complains about UAH making the tournament (or any derivative of 2 teams from College Hockey America) is:

*****http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-016.gif******

There are larger problems you should all be getting your panties in a jumble for, like healthcare, taxes, whether or not your Prius is going to stop before you hit that giant tree or why the hell can't I fry a decent egg...

Maybe not the best situation for college hockey to be in, but I have grown sort of fond of the 16 team tournament. Without teams like UAH or more conferences like the CHA we'd still be at 12 and wondering if we were going to go back to 8.
      Yeah, I can see your point, there is nothing quite like a Fried Egg Sandwich with some Bacon on it.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        I think Michigan and Boston College may have a bone to pick with you leaving them out of the "traditional powerhouse" tag...

And I cannot imagine who you were speaking with in DC. In Denver nearly every fan I ran into was a huge fan of college hockey and their knowledge of college hockey was both broad and deep. Every Frozen F is attended by 1000s of fans who go every year regardless of which teams are participating. It seems to me a much better mix of people than those who will attend that other Final Four, most of them being corporate types or people there because it is the place to be, as opposed to being fans of college basketball or one of the four teams.
        I'm not talking about the folks there, I'm talking about people who actually watched it on TV because "name" teams were in it, especially Notre Dame. Last year's Frozen Four field was a TV nightmare as far as I'm concerned.
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          Ok then, how about we have Brown and Northern Michigan go and join the CHA then if a conference needs to have a minimum number of teams in order to maintain their autobid. The four remaining schools of the CHA have had a long hard road here in order for them to continue the dream of D1 hockey, and its not exactly like they the big name teams coming to their barns every year to help them out with drawing paying eyeballs. If you think they have it too easy, then go beat down the door to your AD and tell em that you want your school to join up, then all you gotta do is just win the tournament right?? wait, isn't that what anybody can do in their own conference???

Why would Brown leave a set of schools academically on par with them and join the CHA? That is idiotic. I realize Brown is a doormat for the most part on the ice, but at least we are recruiting against schools that academically are on par with eachother. That's idiotic. I agree a few more teams should join the CHA or just disband it and disperse the teams to other conferences. Im pretty sure I would beat the AD's door down if they tried to get Brown into the CHA with UAH and Niagara.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            Yeah, I can see your point, there is nothing quite like a Fried Egg Sandwich with some Bacon on it.
            breakfast.lunch.and dinner.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              I'm not talking about the folks there, I'm talking about people who actually watched it on TV because "name" teams were in it, especially Notre Dame. Last year's Frozen Four field was a TV nightmare as far as I'm concerned.
              No one watches hockey on television. The only reason the Frozen Four is even aired is because ESPN got stuck showing all the piddly little tournaments as part of their deal to pick up other stuff.

The games are usually a black hole of ratings suck surrounded by higher rated NHRA racing, rodeo, and poker reruns. They could have Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Boston College in a final, and the ratings will still suck.

Just quit now while you're way behind.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                No one watches hockey on television. The only reason the Frozen Four is even aired is because ESPN got stuck showing all the piddly little tournaments as part of their deal to pick up other stuff.

The games are usually a black hole of ratings suck surrounded by higher rated NHRA racing, rodeo, and poker reruns. They could have Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Boston College in a final, and the ratings will still suck.

I had plenty of friends who watched the Final when Notre Dame and BC were in it because they recognized the schools from their football games. When BU played Miami, no one cared. I dont think any specific college matchup is going to make someone in the middle of Oklahoma watch, but I know a lot of people would watch the Frozen Four if big time schools were in it.

I guess if you don't think a Notre Dame vs. Boston College is more appealing to an average sports fan than BU vs. Miami, I"m not sure what I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

This is the Western Michigan way, I assume?

Comment

The goal is to determine the best team in the country on 10 April. Teams improve and teams regress over the course of a season. Regardless of records, every team deserves the opportunity to prove that they are the best on 10 April through the tournament route. The sad thing is that UAH has alone been denied that opportunity by the hockey elite in 2011 and onward.

If you look in the handbook (handbook page 10),
                    http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ..._icehockey.pdf
                    you can see that the selection committee still has enough "wiggle room" to deny Bemidji an opportunity to make a return trip to the final four if they decide that there are 16 better teams than Bemidji.
                    "The committee reserves the right to evaluate each team based on the relative strength of its respective conference using the overall conference RPI and conference comparisons (e.g., Conference A’s won-lost record versus Conference B, etc.) in determining competitive equity."

It's still possible that the Beaver's inability to beat any of the other three CHA teams in its last three games may cause the selection committee to look closely. Regardless, UAH's ability to go undefeated against the other three CHA teams in its last three games gives them a tournament route opportunity that every team in the country deserves and that they alone will be denied after this year.

Comment

• Re: Who'd of thunk it - 2 CHA teams in the Big Skate

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                      It's still possible that the Beaver's inability to beat any of the other three CHA teams in its last three games may cause the selection committee to look closely.
                      It's still possible that I might be acclaimed King of the world too, it's just not overly likely.

Take one good look at Bemidji's non-conference and overall records and tell me they haven't earned an at-large bid. Go ahead. I need a good laugh.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

The goal is to determine the best team in the country on 10 April. Teams improve and teams regress over the course of a season. Regardless of records, every team deserves the opportunity to prove that they are the best on 10 April through the tournament route. The sad thing is that UAH has alone been denied that opportunity by the hockey elite in 2011 and onward.

you can see that the selection committee still has enough "wiggle room" to deny Bemidji an opportunity to make a return trip to the final four if they decide that there are 16 better teams than Bemidji.
                        "The committee reserves the right to evaluate each team based on the relative strength of its respective conference using the overall conference RPI and conference comparisons (e.g., Conference A’s won-lost record versus Conference B, etc.) in determining competitive equity."

It's still possible that the Beaver's inability to beat any of the other three CHA teams in its last three games may cause the selection committee to look closely. Regardless, UAH's ability to go undefeated against the other three CHA teams in its last three games gives them a tournament route opportunity that every team in the country deserves and that they alone will be denied after this year.
                        Won't happen and it shouldn't happen

Comment

Oh come on, they had a Cinderella Story right there with Bemidji State going to DC. ESPN loves a Cinderella Story and BSU made use of the fact that a previous local Cinderella Story from the year before that in D1 Hoops, George Mason, wasn't busy and could borrow their band for the weekend.

I had plenty of friends who watched the Final when Notre Dame and BC were in it because they recognized the schools from their football games. When BU played Miami, no one cared. I dont think any specific college matchup is going to make someone in the middle of Oklahoma watch, but I know a lot of people would watch the Frozen Four if big time schools were in it.

I guess if you don't think a Notre Dame vs. Boston College is more appealing to an average sports fan than BU vs. Miami, I"m not sure what I can say.
                          Its a College Championship, I don't care what you got going on there, if its Women's Softball, Men's Division 2 football, Men's D3 Hockey, or College Equesterian. If you're going to call yourself any sort of a college sports fan, you come across that on the TV, you're watching it. If not, then you're just not Hardcore enough.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Terry, I know you hate Bemidji, but ... come on, man.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

The sad thing is that UAH has alone been denied that opportunity by the hockey elite in 2011 and onward.
                              I'll call bs on that one. If we are going to circle back to this argument, it wasn't the "hockey elite" schools that had concerns about letting UAH in the CCHA. It was the smaller schools with tighter budgets that voiced concerns about entry. Keep propagating the bitter nonsense, especially since the door isn't closed. Instead, blame the body of institutions that make up the NCAA for their indifference towards what is right for college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Terry, I know you hate Bemidji, but ... come on, man.

GFM
                                No, no, no, you should know better than that. Unlike a lot of people here, I don't take it seriously enough to hate anyone. My comments may be better summarized in the following five points since I truly had no intention of implying that the Beavers don't deserve an invite:
                                1. Every team should have a tournament route to the final game of the year so that teams who have improved after a slow start have an opportunity to prove that they are the best in the country on 10 April.
                                2. The Beavers should be invited if they are one of the top 10 "at-large" teams in the country.
                                3. There is a selection process defined in a handbook and implemented by a committee.
                                4. The selection process is flexible enough though to omit Bemidji if the selection committee thinks that there are 10 "at-large" teams better than the Beavers.
                                5. The whining here is sort of silly given points 1-4 and would only make sense if someone could propose 10 possible "at-large" teams better than the Beavers.

Comment

Working...
                                X