Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who'd of thunk it - 2 CHA teams in the Big Skate

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    Last time I checked Michigan, BU, and Minnesota are all still very much alive for the NCAA tournament. All they need to do is win a few more games, you know, sort of like UAH did the last couple of days.

So much hand-wringing over UAH and I don't get it. I'll forever be more concerned with the games MY team DIDN'T win to get into the tournament than the games UAH (or any other team) DID win to get in.

Was it the best idea to let a 4-team conference retain their auto-bid? Maybe, maybe not. Especially since we all knew that 3 of the teams were joining much larger and/or more established leagues and the other one has every intention of soldiering on and likely re-applying to join one of the "big boys."

As for making the NCAAs more appealing, I think any time you get a head-scratcher team in there, or someone unexpected, it does make things more interesting. If college hockey cannot maintain interest in the sport without the most popular or most traditional teams participating in the tournament every year we're in trouble. If fans of traditional teams like Minnesota, BU, or Michigan drift away and lose interest in college hockey because they miss the tournament once or twice in a generation I say too bad for them, but they obviously aren't real fans of either their team or our sport.

If UAH "ruins" anyone elses season, I'm all for it. After all, my team already ruined their own one.
    My point has nothing to do with UAH, good for them. They won their conference tourney and deserve what they got. My bigger point is the 4 team conference. Now, sure, Michigan, Minnesota, and BU are still alive, but not all three will make it.

I think in the bigger picture, if the NCAA is trying to expand college hockey and make it more mainstream, having Michigan or Minnesota playing does a lot more for the sport than UAH does.

Dont take this as a slight towards the CHA or their teams, but all I heard in Washington DC last year was "what the hell is Bemidji", etc coming off a year when the FF had Notre Dame, Boston College, Michigan and traditional powerhouse North Dakota.

Now that UAH is in it, I wish them the best of luck.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      I think in the bigger picture, if the NCAA is trying to expand college hockey and make it more mainstream, having Michigan or Minnesota playing does a lot more for the sport than UAH does.
      Really? Because having UMinn and UMich for the last however many years has really made this sport mainstream.

Keeping the CHA alive as long as it did was college hockey's way of trying to expand western hockey. AHA has expansion covered in the East, although at this point it doesn't look like anyone but Syracuse is even close to going D-I. And remember ... Quinnipiac started off in the MAAC/AHA before moving up to the ECAC.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I don't think a conference with 4 teams should have an automatic birth to the NCAA tournament. Seems a bit unfair.
        LIFE LONG NMU FAN & ALUMNI.

Comment

Was it the best idea to let a 4-team conference retain their auto-bid? Maybe, maybe not. Especially since we all knew that 3 of the teams were joining much larger and/or more established leagues and the other one has every intention of soldiering on and likely re-applying to join one of the "big boys."
          I love how everyone else thinks this "AQ for the CHA" in it's last year is all about everyone else. What about those four teams? What about the ramifications for BSU, RMU, UAH and Niagara if the AQ isn't maintained? Confused by what I mean? Think about it this way:

Think back a year and a half. BSU, Niagara, UAH and RMU all basically knew that the CHA had a year or two at best left after Wayne State folded and Air Force had left for AHA. RMU and Niagara were seriously persuing AHA affiliation and BSU the WCHA. UAH was pushing CCHA membership, however, there was nothing guaranteed for anyone - in fact, far from it. BSU had a ton of issues getting guarantees that its new rink would get built. Its Frozen Four run just a dream. We all know UAH's issues with the CCHA.

Why do I bring all this up? Imagine being a recruit for any one of these schools a year and a half ago. Imagine Tom Serratore, Dave Burkholder, Derrek Schoolie or Danton Cole sitting in your home and telling you about their program. You ask, "okay coach, but will I be able to compete for a National Championship?" How were any of these schools supposed to recruit kids when they couldn't guarantee kids that they had a shot at making the dance? That's one great equalizer in D-I hockey. Every school can honestly tell recruits that if they play well enough, they can get to the tourney and win.

Now, sure, BSU has proven that and at-large is possible, but that seemed far-fetched out of the CHA (and Atlantic Hockey) before this year. Also, not continuring the AQ would have potentially set-back recruiting one season for these schools as they enter their new conferences. That can be potentially devestatng for a team. A big hole in one class year for a team would take four years to make up for.

See, sometimes it's not about Michigan, BU or Minnesota (and all the rest of "college hockey"). It's about Bemidji State, Alabama-Huntsville, Niagara and Robert Morris...
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

My point has nothing to do with UAH, good for them. They won their conference tourney and deserve what they got. My bigger point is the 4 team conference. Now, sure, Michigan, Minnesota, and BU are still alive, but not all three will make it.

Dont take this as a slight towards the CHA or their teams, but all I heard in Washington DC last year was "what the hell is Bemidji", etc coming off a year when the FF had Notre Dame, Boston College, Michigan and traditional powerhouse North Dakota.

Now that UAH is in it, I wish them the best of luck.
            I think Michigan and Boston College may have a bone to pick with you leaving them out of the "traditional powerhouse" tag...

And I cannot imagine who you were speaking with in DC. In Denver nearly every fan I ran into was a huge fan of college hockey and their knowledge of college hockey was both broad and deep. Every Frozen F is attended by 1000s of fans who go every year regardless of which teams are participating. It seems to me a much better mix of people than those who will attend that other Final Four, most of them being corporate types or people there because it is the place to be, as opposed to being fans of college basketball or one of the four teams.

Comment

2 bids out of a 4 team conference is a complete joke, but UAH won out so they deserve it. I think there should be a minimum of teams in a conference if they are giving an autobid, though.

UAH and Bemidji are in, while teams like Michigan, BU, Minnesota, etc are going to be out. I dont think this makes the NCAAs more appealing to anyone to be honest.
              Originally posted by profoster View Post
              I don't think a conference with 4 teams should have an automatic birth to the NCAA tournament. Seems a bit unfair.
              Ok then, how about we have Brown and Northern Michigan go and join the CHA then if a conference needs to have a minimum number of teams in order to maintain their autobid. The four remaining schools of the CHA have had a long hard road here in order for them to continue the dream of D1 hockey, and its not exactly like they the big name teams coming to their barns every year to help them out with drawing paying eyeballs. If you think they have it too easy, then go beat down the door to your AD and tell em that you want your school to join up, then all you gotta do is just win the tournament right?? wait, isn't that what anybody can do in their own conference???
              Last time I checked Michigan, BU, and Minnesota are all still very much alive for the NCAA tournament. All they need to do is win a few more games, you know, sort of like UAH did the last couple of days.

So much hand-wringing over UAH and I don't get it. I'll forever be more concerned with the games MY team DIDN'T win to get into the tournament than the games UAH (or any other team) DID win to get in.

As for making the NCAAs more appealing, I think any time you get a head-scratcher team in there, or someone unexpected, it does make things more interesting. If college hockey cannot maintain interest in the sport without the most popular or most traditional teams participating in the tournament every year we're in trouble. If fans of traditional teams like Minnesota, BU, or Michigan drift away and lose interest in college hockey because they miss the tournament once or twice in a generation I say too bad for them, but they obviously aren't real fans of either their team or our sport.

If UAH "ruins" anyone elses season, I'm all for it. After all, my team already ruined their own one.
              Well said, This time of year, you should have had more wins somewhere else along the way. It really shouldn't be that hard to look at your teams results and see where they let a few games that would have had them in a far more comfortable position to make the NCAA's get away from them.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

You wouldn't have this problem had the presidents done the right thing.
                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                2006 Time Person of the Year
                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                  You wouldn't have this problem had the presidents done the right thing.
                  What the Hell does Obama have to do wit... oh wait you said presidentS...

Congrats to your Chargers, sir.

Comment

I detect sarcasm.

Minnesota still alive? Not really. Here's a likely list of consecutive wins they would have needed.

North Dakota, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Denver, Wisconsin.

I'm sure CHA players would crap their pants just reading that list of teams out loud.

Much easier to run the table in the NCAA's if you ask me. That's why I had to laugh when a previous poster suggested Michigan Tech was still in it and all they had to do was win the conference tournament like Alabama did. Here's the difference. It could never happen in the WCHA. I don't even think a 4 or 5 (Final Five) seed has ever won the Broadmoor Trophy. Except for Duluth.

I do like to look at the human side of this as well so congratulations to UAB. To say they're excited surely must be an understatement.
                    Last edited by Golden Tuuk; 03-14-2010, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                      I detect sarcasm.

Minnesota still alive? Not really. Here's a likely list of consecutive wins they would have needed.

North Dakota, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Denver, Wisconsin.

I'm sure CHA players would crap their pants just reading that list of teams out loud.

Much easier to run the table in the NCAA's if you ask me. That's why I had to laugh when a previous poster suggested Michigan Tech was still in it and all they had to do was win the conference tournament like Alabama did. Here's the difference. It could never happen in the WCHA. I don't even think a 4 or 5 (Final Five) seed has ever won the Broadmoor Trophy.

I do like to look at the human side of this as well so congratulations to UAB. To say they're excited surely must be an understatement.
                      Never say Never. All it takes is one goalie getting HOT and a team finding their scoring touch. And the worst team in any of the leagues can be in the NCAA tournament. That's the power of the Autobid.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Look, fans of big time schools who make the NCAAs regularly, shut up. You can make it next year if you are on the bubble. Be glad for huntsville, because this maybe the last time EVER that they make it. Let me phrase that again, this program might not survive another ten years, think about if that was happening to your team. Stop being selfish and be happy for huntsville. Be happy that your program is strong enough to have ensured longevity.
                        Arenas Attended
                        Matthews Arena
                        Agganis Arena
                        Tsongas Arena
                        Lawler Arena
                        Schneider Arena
                        Mullins Center
                        TD Banknorth Garden
                        Conte Forum
                        Whittemore Center
                        Gutterson Fieldhouse
                        Alfond Arena
                        Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                          I don't even think a 4 or 5 (Final Five) seed has ever won the Broadmoor Trophy.
                          Well, it did happen last year.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            For everyone whining about the CHA autobid: whine all you want, because the conference is dead today.

1. The conference would have been dead sooner without it. With the WCHA having a moratorium on expansion in the past, BSU would likely have been shut out. All indications were that BSU would fold their program if they didn't get picked up by the WCHA.

2. UAH would still have been likely go it alone as an independent.

3. Atlantic Hockey was less receptive to expanding earlier, which puts Niagara and Robert Morris both in jeopardy.

The reason that the league lived as long as it did was the autobid. Did you want four fewer schools in D-I? Remember, the CHA getting an AQ is the main reason we went from 12 to 16 teams making the postseason.

Now, you can argue that the CHA dying two years ago would still see the same situation we're seeing now: the WCHA picking up BSU, UAH going indie, and AHA picking up NU and RMU. I'm just positing that it was far less likely a couple years back than it was last spring and summer, when everything moved. [Except, you know, the idea that everyone had that a CCHA team would leave for the WCHA and be backfilled by UAH.]

Bemidji absolutely deserves its at-large bid. UAH is no more deserving of its AQ than any past CHA AQ, and the CHA has represented itself fairly well in the NCAAs.

Of course, not that any of the haters care. They're too busy pouting that bubble team #14 got knocked out, forgetting that there were only eight at-large spots just a few years ago.

Suck it up and grow a pair.

GFM
                            Congrats UAH.

FTR- Michigan fans know that the only reason that their team may not make it to the NCAA tourney is because their team waited until March to play like they are capable, even if their schedule or their conference may be a little more difficult than the CHA. The way I look at it, UAH, RIT and any other 4th seed is just as worthy of respect as any other large conference team. Notre Dame was minutes from being out of the 2008 tournament, squeaked in and made it to the NC game. Anything can happen and those teams that qualify earned their way in.

Comment

I'm just going to bask in the amusing glow that Western Michigan swept a team in the NCAA's.

The last time that happened? February 16-17 2007 vs. Michigan State.

2 months later, Michigan State won the National title.

*runs off to bet the house on the Chargers*
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by profoster View Post
                                The automatic response for anyone who complains about UAH making the tournament (or any derivative of 2 teams from College Hockey America) is:

*****http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-016.gif******

There are larger problems you should all be getting your panties in a jumble for, like healthcare, taxes, whether or not your Prius is going to stop before you hit that giant tree or why the hell can't I fry a decent egg...

Maybe not the best situation for college hockey to be in, but I have grown sort of fond of the 16 team tournament. Without teams like UAH or more conferences like the CHA we'd still be at 12 and wondering if we were going to go back to 8.

Comment

Working...
                                X