Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who'd of thunk it - 2 CHA teams in the Big Skate

Originally posted by nudgy_olsen View Post
    This is pretty disgusting, and if UAH gets in, it will be downright absurd. Imagine if the equivalent of this cakewalk in the CCHA:
    Team goes 10-20 all year long, winning no real meaningful games, among barely winning at all.
    Recieves a free ride straight to the conference semi-finals, bypassing the first round seeding of having to play a top ranked team, and bypassing the quarterfinals of having to play another top ranked team.
    Then in the semi-final, plays Western Michigan, and in the title game plays Bowling Green.

Absolute absurdity, they knew the conference was folding and that 3 of the teams found homes, yet they still allowed them to keep the autobid. In this case their reasoning of "preserving hockey teams" no longer applies, yet it still happened, and now the nightmare scenario has come to life. What a joke. At large bids reward the teams that are good all year long, and auto bids reward the teams that say despite our record, we can play ball with the good teams, and also rewards teams that are hot at the end of the year. This fails completely here. UAH is none of these. Thankfully, this will all go away after this year, so theres no chance of drama repeating.

After all the rules are the rules, and we can't change them now, so no use complaining further. However, the most alarming thing to me is that one of the #1 seeds is going to get to play a .400 garbage team first round in the NCAA tournament, and another one of those just as deserving #1 seeds is going to have to play someone like UMD. There is no shuffling of locations and seedings that can make up for this complete collapse and failure of fairness. Winning your regular season title? Nope, doesn't guarantee. Winning 3 out of 4 conference tournament games against the top teams? Nope, not that either. Have 3 Hobey finalists on your roster? Not a chance. Being unconcious all year long for 5 months, and showing up at the end to play a single weekend of hockey against two .400 equally unconcious teams? Yup, you're in.

At least if Niagara wins they will have kind of earned it(?)... but not really. I hope the NCAA is ashamed of dropping the ball this round. My deepest empathy to the #17 bubble team.

Making the NCAA is a huge honor and an incredible amount of work and pressure, whichever path they qualify. I hope all 15 teams are proud and play well. What a possibly disgraceful and tarnishing end to UAH's hockey athletic.
    Oh Cheese and Rice, the exact same thing could happen in any conference. MTU could easily start scoring 10 goals a game and win the WCHA conference tourament and the autobid there. They've only won 5 games this year, and don't think you wouldn't howl about a team that lousy of a record knocking out another team that played well enough to almost be there.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

playoff hockey is playoff hockey. to me it seems very similar to the Vikings losing to New Orleans. any team on any given day can win. thats why we don't follow the preseason polls and just give them the first 16 positions from October on out. Good luck UAH.

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
        playoff hockey is playoff hockey. to me it seems very similar to the Vikings losing to New Orleans. any team on any given day can win. thats why we don't follow the preseason polls and just give them the first 16 positions from October on out. Good luck UAH.

Well said.
        Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
        THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

This is pretty disgusting, and if UAH gets in, it will be downright absurd. Imagine if the equivalent of this cakewalk in the CCHA:
          Team goes 10-20 all year long, winning no real meaningful games, among barely winning at all.
          Recieves a free ride straight to the conference semi-finals, bypassing the first round seeding of having to play a top ranked team, and bypassing the quarterfinals of having to play another top ranked team.
          Then in the semi-final, plays Western Michigan, and in the title game plays Bowling Green.

Absolute absurdity, they knew the conference was folding and that 3 of the teams found homes, yet they still allowed them to keep the autobid. In this case their reasoning of "preserving hockey teams" no longer applies, yet it still happened, and now the nightmare scenario has come to life. What a joke. At large bids reward the teams that are good all year long, and auto bids reward the teams that say despite our record, we can play ball with the good teams, and also rewards teams that are hot at the end of the year. This fails completely here. UAH is none of these. Thankfully, this will all go away after this year, so theres no chance of drama repeating.

After all the rules are the rules, and we can't change them now, so no use complaining further. However, the most alarming thing to me is that one of the #1 seeds is going to get to play a .400 garbage team first round in the NCAA tournament, and another one of those just as deserving #1 seeds is going to have to play someone like UMD. There is no shuffling of locations and seedings that can make up for this complete collapse and failure of fairness. Winning your regular season title? Nope, doesn't guarantee. Winning 3 out of 4 conference tournament games against the top teams? Nope, not that either. Have 3 Hobey finalists on your roster? Not a chance. Being unconcious all year long for 5 months, and showing up at the end to play a single weekend of hockey against two .400 equally unconcious teams? Yup, you're in.

At least if Niagara wins they will have kind of earned it(?)... but not really. I hope the NCAA is ashamed of dropping the ball this round. My deepest empathy to the #17 bubble team.

Making the NCAA is a huge honor and an incredible amount of work and pressure, whichever path they qualify. I hope all 15 teams are proud and play well. What a possibly disgraceful and tarnishing end to UAH's hockey athletic.
          Get over it...Everybody else on here has...

Comment

Is this Rick Comley writing on the Fan Forum?

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              The boys still have to beat Niagara. UAH may have gone 4-2 on them this year, but they're bound to be super amped after knocking Bemidji off.

GFMß
              And there you have it! (congrats Geof! )

Comment

Beavers and Chargers in the National Championship game....Just like the old days...

Comment

Go Chargers! Just desserts if there ever was such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    And there you have it! (congrats Geof! )
                    It was VERY loud in my house about five minutes ago. We're re-watching overtime for the awesome factor.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

And if the karma works as it is advertised, a CCHA team will be 15th in the PWR just about 7 days from now.

Oh and if anyone doesn't realize it by now, watch out for those CHA teams in the NCAAs. They're a b !tch to beat...

Comment

Normally, I wouldn't waste time responding to a comment like this. Not sure who you root for, don't really care, but likely a bubble team???? Doesn't really matter...... UAH has had a dedicated program for as long as several teams in the Big Four conferences. They have battled huge disadvantages in recruiting based atleast partly on the fact that they are not in a Big Four conference and yet still have put a competitive team on the ice. Many of the traditionally "less successful" Big Four conference teams would not even survive if faced with the same situation. The success that those teams have is in no small part due to the fact that they have guaranteed home games vs. many of the traditional powerhouses every year. I am pretty confident in saying that if UAH was in one of those conferences, and had the traditional big name schools in to play, attendance would grow further, funding for the program would increase and their recruiting could not help but strengthen. But, they are not in a Big Four conference, were snubbed in their application to join one and have done nothing but put their heads down, play by the rules and earn their right to the tournament thru the current rules. Which, sadly for some of us, and clearly happily for you, will end this year! If the only price the fans and members schools of the elitist programs and conferences have to pay is having once school bumped from the tourney for one year....... you won't get any sympathy from me!!!!! UAH still has to face all the hurdles that are thrown in front of them..... which I certainly hope they continue to jump!

Comment

****, I should have bought a lotto ticket for tonight, I've been pretty dang lucky today!!!
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Who hates Huntsville?

ANASTOS HATES HUNTSVILLE!
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              Who hates Huntsville?

ANASTOS HATES HUNTSVILLE!
                              Heh. I think Anastos wanted us in ... I am pretty sure it was about six schools that kept us out.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

nudgy_olsen

Settle down, nudgy. You do realize you're arguing over who gets Miami or Denver in the first round, don't you? In the grand scheme of things, the way those two teams have played this season, they probably deserve games against teams out of the Pairwise, instead of a team #15 or #16 in the nation and on a roll from their conference tournament.

Do you get this upset about who plays in the 64/65 play-in game in the hoops tournament?
                                2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                                2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                                Air Force Falcons
                                2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                                2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                                2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                                2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                                2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Working...
                                X