X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East: Anyones Tournament

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
    UNH has owned BU this year.
    Yeah. So has Vermont. Which is why I hate that draw.
    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

The Terriers team that we played a couple months ago is NOT the same team skating in the Scarlet and White now. They've improved greatly.

I'm not one for changing picks, but how many people who did their picks early are wishing they could go back and reconsider their choice for the #4 v. #5 matchup? Darling's dismissal is a pretty big deal for Maine -- having seen him play, along with Wilson.

How much will the be in the back of the Black Bears minds? Will that give Lowell something to pounce on?

A quick comment to NP's post: their postseason resume speaks for itself, and the consistent lack of success over the years points to coaching, and I won't argue that point with you. However, this year as opposed to year's past, I think there is a mentality in the UNH team from both Coaches and players (including a Hobey Baker candidate captain, see butlerforhobey.com ) that is making up for the lesser talent.

It's no guarantee that they'd beat anybody else, but it makes them fun to watch. It's why I won't pick against them in this tournament (yup, bias). Hopefully the ghost of collapses past won't affect them too much moving forward . . . (and okay that wasn't as quick as I thought it would be.
      I haven't been on here in a year...
      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
        This matrix seems to indicate that BC-UNH could only meet in the Final:

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/6...y/heast_10.htm

Same with BC-BU.
        i was talking about a BC-BU matchup in the semis...........which will happen if the top 4 seeds win...........and actually if the top 3 do.........

Comment

That's great but UNH owns no one in the postseason so it's very irrelevant, especially for UNH.

Parker vs. Umile and York vs. Umile are not good matchups for UNH. On any given night if Parker were to coach against Umile in the postseason, Umile's probability of winning might be close to Jack Parker's BAC.

And York probably owns him even worse.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            On any given night if Parker were to coach against Umile in the postseason, Umile's probability of winning might be close to Jack Parker's BAC.
            UNH has had some pretty good success vs. BU in the post season (2-1 in the NCAA's, including upsetting them as the #1 team in the nation and almost doing it again last year). They also won their 2nd HEA title vs. BU, and again upset them in... maybe 2005? as a lower seed in the HEA semis... Good try though.

BC, obviously, owns UNH in the post season, and Maine does in the NCAA's... other than that, I like UNH's chances against any other team in HEA based on history (which, of course, is what BC fans base everything on regarding UNH)
            Last edited by WildShawn; 03-10-2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
              This matrix seems to indicate that BC-UNH could only meet in the Final:

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/6...y/heast_10.htm

Same with BC-BU.
              That 'matrix' doesn't make any sense from the standpoint of any tournament bracket ever made with seedings. 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, pretty simple stuff... not sure why they lined it up that way. Not even taking into account that they re-seed after the QF, thats just dumb. (not shocking from INCH though)

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                UNH has had some pretty good success vs. BU in the post season (2-1 in the NCAA's, including upsetting them as the #1 team in the nation and almost doing it again last year). They also won their 2nd HEA title vs. BU, and again upset them in... maybe 2005? as a lower seed in the HEA semis... Good try though.
                Good point on the NCAAs. Didn't even realize it, just was going on generalization (hearing that Parker is better than York from the fanboys you'd think he'd do better vs. Umile in the postseason). That 98 tourney win in OT was sweet. Goes to show you how much Jack Parker has lost his fastball (I know, last year, yada yada yada). Does Umile get credit for a moral victory last year?

For the record, BU was the #1 seed in the East but ranked 4th in the country in 1998 in the March 16th final poll on USCHO (the final USA Today poll was March 9th before they got bounced by 8th seed Merrimack in the HE QFs). Good try though.

Parker is 3-2 vs. Umile in the HE tourney I believe. Knowing that Parker's BAC is really really high, I stand by my statement at least for the HE tourney!
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                  That 'matrix' doesn't make any sense from the standpoint of any tournament bracket ever made with seedings. 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, pretty simple stuff... not sure why they lined it up that way. Not even taking into account that they re-seed after the QF, thats just dumb. (not shocking from INCH though)
                  It says right above the "matrix" (it's more of a table in my opinion)

NOTE: Teams are re-seeded following the Quarterfinals, so the highest remaining seed will play the lowest remaining seed in the Semifinals.
                  #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Good point on the NCAAs. Didn't even realize it, just was going on generalization (hearing that Parker is better than York from the fanboys you'd think he'd do better vs. Umile in the postseason). That 98 tourney win in OT was sweet. Goes to show you how much Jack Parker has lost his fastball (I know, last year, yada yada yada). Does Umile get credit for a moral victory last year?

For the record, BU was the #1 seed in the East but ranked 4th in the country in 1998 in the March 16th final poll on USCHO (the final USA Today poll was March 9th before they got bounced by 8th seed Merrimack in the HE QFs). Good try though.

Parker is 3-2 vs. Umile in the HE tourney I believe. Knowing that Parker's BAC is really really high, I stand by my statement at least for the HE tourney!
                    I can't remember prior to BU's win vs. UNH in the HEA finals in 1997, but including that one and through the last meeting, I think its 2-2... but either way my post stands... I thought Bu was still the top overall seed heading into that tourney (if they were 4th, they would have been a 2 seed as they had the 6 team regionals... so they were either 1 or 2 in the PWR, no?) And it'd be sweet to see a repeat performance (though not as shocking) by MC this weekend

As far as moral victories, there's no such thing, but you can't say UNH didn't overperform (for a change) in the NCAA's last year based on the team they had and the teams they played.... (sure it tooked a miracle finish, but still, I thought UND would have no trouble with UNH...)

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                      It says right above the "matrix" (it's more of a table in my opinion)

NOTE: Teams are re-seeded following the Quarterfinals, so the highest remaining seed will play the lowest remaining seed in the Semifinals.
                      yes I realize that, the original poster didn't take that into account when he made his predictions, and I was saying that the layout was dumb even not taking into the fact that they reseed.. sorry if my wording was confusing... its a bad layout not having the 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 brackets lining up...

Comment

I have no idea who will win in the end.

However I love the fact this is a dogfight in every matchup. Makes the coming weekend interesting.

Comment

Anyone know how they decide what QF game will be televised on NESN. I just thought it was random they decided to show BU vs MC. Why do you think they decided this game should be on T.V.? I guess it is MC's first time in the playoffs for a while and BU has a big fan base but I do not see this match up as particularly intriguing in anyway to warrant a T.V. appearance.

Comment

Carter Hutton - 1st Team Hockey East - All American

#1 UNH beats #8 UVM in three
                            #2 BC beats #7 UMA in two
                            #6 MC beats #3 BU in two
                            #5 UML beats #4 UM in two

#1 UNH over #6 MC, 5-4
                            #5 UML over #2 BC, 3-1

#5 UML over #1 UNH, 2-0

Comment

Originally posted by adidasjerry View Post
                              Anyone know how they decide what QF game will be televised on NESN. I just thought it was random they decided to show BU vs MC. Why do you think they decided this game should be on T.V.? I guess it is MC's first time in the playoffs for a while and BU has a big fan base but I do not see this match up as particularly intriguing in anyway to warrant a T.V. appearance.
                              Location, Location, Location.

Comment

Originally posted by adidasjerry View Post
                                1. Technically still the defending national champions
                                2. Short drive from NESN studios.
                                3. Probably doesn't hurt that BU pays NESN to show some of their games.
                                4. Agganis is a good broadcasting facility.
                                Last edited by Tater; 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X