Spartans vs. Wolverines - Playoff Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spartans vs. Wolverines - Playoff Edition

Hey, any of you locals have any suggestions for an out of towner that is coming in for tonight's game?

Never been to Munn and the last time I was in East Lansing was to catch the Amtrak train to Chicago. Never been on the campus itself. Will be coming in off of 127 using Trowbridge Road.

Any suggestions for the best place to park to get back out to the freeway, best place to go before the game for food and drink, is there anything close enough where you can park your car near Munn, walk and get some food and drink, then walk back to Munn?

Thanks!

Comment

Will you Michigan fans start listening to me now? Dangerous team here.
      Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by JD Doe View Post
        Hey, any of you locals have any suggestions for an out of towner that is coming in for tonight's game?

Never been to Munn and the last time I was in East Lansing was to catch the Amtrak train to Chicago. Never been on the campus itself. Will be coming in off of 127 using Trowbridge Road.

Any suggestions for the best place to park to get back out to the freeway, best place to go before the game for food and drink, is there anything close enough where you can park your car near Munn, walk and get some food and drink, then walk back to Munn?

Thanks!
        The regular pregame hockey spots are Crunchy's and the Harrison Road House. Both places are walking distance to the arena and both have excellent food and drinks. As for where to park...lots nearby are a waste of money as meters and employee spots (appropriately marked) are free today in most areas around the athletics complex.
        MICHIGAN STATE
        1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
          Not yet.

Couple of things- if you asked me 6 months ago if we could do that, I would say- yes, without a doubt. Two weeks ago- no way.

The core question now is if they can repeat the performance, or fall on their face. If they keep playing like that, I'll fully agree, and would even suggest that the Miami semi-final would be a really good game.

But that's a huge way from where we are now. Have they learned how to really play, use the team speed on O and D? Forgive us in Ann Arbor to wait until we see it happen. State is a very talented team, too- and while they got a small amount of momentum when they scored that goal- they blew it when they took a penalty when on the PP just after the goal. The goal at the end of the period was just confirmation of that.

Didn't see the third period...

Last night was last night- tonight is tonight.

Of course, I would love a repeat performance of game one, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
            The regular pregame hockey spots are Crunchy's and the Harrison Road House. Both places are walking distance to the arena and both have excellent food and drinks. As for where to park...lots nearby are a waste of money as meters and employee spots (appropriately marked) are free today in most areas around the athletics complex.
            Thanks for that info.

Looking at a google map of that area, it seems like there are lots of little roads between Munn and Grand River Ave.

So I take it there are sidewalks that lead from Munn up to Grand River Ave?

Does not too bad to get up to Grand River Ave, but just trying to avoid going the "long" way!

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by JD Doe View Post
              Thanks for that info.

Looking at a google map of that area, it seems like there are lots of little roads between Munn and Grand River Ave.

So I take it there are sidewalks that lead from Munn up to Grand River Ave?

Does not too bad to get up to Grand River Ave, but just trying to avoid going the "long" way!

Thanks again.
              There are a lot of roads, but they are not busy roads by any means. Once you are on campus there will be little traffic as students are on break. There are plenty of sidewalks that cross open areas that make it a shorter walk than the map shows.
              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

There are a lot of roads, but they are not busy roads by any means. Once you are on campus there will be little traffic as students are on break. There are plenty of sidewalks that cross open areas that make it a shorter walk than the map shows.
                Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
                  They've put together a few good games, but also had the benefit of a depleted Lake State roster and a Spartan team that had played 4 games in 33 days.

That said, if they can continue to take advantage of scoring opportunities, and be responsible defensively, they stand a chance. Key scorers have awoken at the perfect time, conservative defensive play in front of a previously untested netminder has proven very effective, aggressive forechecking has finally been creating opportunities, and a solid backcheck has negated the same at the other end of the ice.

If they can find a way to win this series, then maybe we'll talk about dangerous. There's been signs of it, but again, I think that's aided by the factors I mentioned in the opening. Last night Michigan put the hammer down in the first period, capitalizing on a rusty Spartan team. After that, it was 2-1 Michigan. Still good enough for a win, but not nearly as decisive.

We'll see what happens tonight.

Comment

Did anyone else notice how much the puck was bouncing around last night? Munn usually has good ice but the heat and humidity of the last few days really hurt the quality of the ice. The building was unusually warm yesterday.

Note: this was just an observation..in no way did it affect the outcome of the game. I am not LLLLoyd Carr complaining about the crown on the field.
                    MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Did anyone else notice how much the puck was bouncing around last night? Munn usually has good ice but the heat and humidity of the last few days really hurt the quality of the ice. The building was unusually warm yesterday.
                      The ice was a little sticky, too.

The new Zamboni is nice, but we obviously have no clue how to use it yet.
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        The ice was a little sticky, too.

The new Zamboni is nice, but we obviously have no clue how to use it yet.
                        That is exactly why they only used it before the games for the last month and used the old Olympia during the game itself. A friend of mine on the munn staff has said they were not been planning to use it full-time until the summer when they had everything fine tuned, but there was too much pressure to get it out there immediately.
                        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

That is exactly why they only used it before the games for the last month and used the old Olympia during the game itself. A friend of mine on the munn staff has said they were not been planning to use it full-time until the summer when they had everything fine tuned, but there was too much pressure to get it out there immediately.
                          Why the pressure? And why the change? Was the old one worn out or doing a substandard job? And why was ? (Gary) wearing a shirt and tie with tennis shoes when he was driving it last night.
                          maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

I thought Lou was driving last night? Anyway from what I gather there are people that wanted it pushed into service quickly because it is all electric and therefore good exposure for the University's aggressive push to be more environmentally friendly.
                            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Note: this was just an observation..in no way did it affect the outcome of the game. I am not LLLLoyd Carr complaining about the crown on the field.
                              What was up with all the water left on the ice between the 1st and 2nd intermission? I get the fact that it is not like growing grass at an Ag school, but just the same...

I'll see you LLLLoyd and raise you a WWWoodshed WWWWWilliams. Or WWWaters or who was that clown after them? Either way, they don't have a WWWWWWWWWWWWW-0 season like Carr did, crown or not.

Comment

Un
                                be
                                live
                                able.

Where was this team all season????

Ok, NMU- I'll give it to you now. The Miami game on Friday will be quite good.

Comment

Working...
                                X