Spartans vs. Wolverines - Playoff Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spartans vs. Wolverines - Playoff Edition

By the way, Alaska, when you drop by here, a friend of mine attended her first hockey game tonight which is a major shame but speaking to her afterwards, she said "...but me and my sister were very entertained by 1 crazy spartan fan. We got video!" Since they were a couple sections over from you, i think it's safe to assume who they were talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
      Well done tonight Michigan fans...not only did your team dominate on the ice, your fans owned Munn. I knew it would be empty and I knew there would be no energy, but you proved exactly how pathetic our spartan hockey fanbase is.

I dislike you guys more then I care to type here...but I must give credit where it is due.
      OK. I'll refrain from quoting your earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
        OK. I'll refrain from quoting your earlier post.
        Yes, I know exactly the double standard in my posting here...I had a feeling it was going to be a tough night on and off the ice, but I never expected what we saw tonight. The truth is that I have a lot of respect for the rivalry, but I think the young MSU team was too caught up in the rivalry part of the game tonight and not enough on the sense of urgency that comes with playoff hockey. I can only hope that they show up tomorrow with a new attitude.
        MICHIGAN STATE
        1966:1986:2007

Comment

What's the deal with the horn being blown for UM's 4th goal? And how many times did the announcer get the MSU and MI part wrong? Did Michigan bring over their own folks to run the box???
          "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
            What's the deal with the horn being blown for UM's 4th goal? And how many times did the announcer get the MSU and MI part wrong? Did Michigan bring over their own folks to run the box???
            Everything about the game day production was garbage tonight. However what's the point to putting on a good show when the team sucks and the fans are no better?
            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a team with so much on the line play so poorly. That was easily the most humiliating display of hockey I've seen at any level, and that includes the beer leagues.

We were out-of-shape at best, receiving mass sodomy at worst.

Oh, and Palmisano has, once again, validated himself as the worst breakaway goaltender in the league, and his fiver's still the size of the Grand Canyon. I know it won't happen, but, christ, Jarosz needs to start tomorrow.

We don't deserve to go to the tournament, and we likely won't go now.

Oh, paid attendance was 3,188. Worst draw of the season. Well, if we're not the most apathetic fanbase in collegiate sports, I don't know which one is.
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I'm assuming the horn's linked in with the goal light. Somebody probably forgot to flip a switch, or something.
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                  I don't think I've ever seen a team with so much on the line play so poorly. That was easily the most humiliating display of hockey I've seen at any level, and that includes the beer leagues.

We were out-of-shape at best, receiving mass sodomy at worst.

Oh, and Palmisano has, once again, validated himself as the worst breakaway goaltender in the league, and his fiver's still the size of the Grand Canyon. I know it won't happen, but, christ, Jarosz needs to start tomorrow.

We don't deserve to go to the tournament, and we likely won't go now.

Oh, paid attendance was 3,188. Worst draw of the season. Well, if we're not the most apathetic fanbase in collegiate sports, I don't know which one is.
                  Alaska, do you honestly think basketball did not play a part in the attendance tonight? I know it is an excuse but when I got home and watched the end of the (equally pathetic) basketball game, I couldn't help but be amazed at the number of Spartans in attendance. I know that 99% of them do not care about the hockey program, but I have to believe that a lot of the Spartan Fund crew and season ticket holders for both sports chose Indianapolis over the CCHA playoffs. I expect more students tomorrow, and a draw close to 5,000.
                  MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Alaska, do you honestly think basketball did not play a part in the attendance tonight? I know it is an excuse but when I got home and watched the end of the (equally pathetic) basketball game, I couldn't help but be amazed at the number of Spartans in attendance. I know that 99% of them do not care about the hockey program, but I have to believe that a lot of the Spartan Fund crew and season ticket holders for both sports chose Indianapolis over the CCHA playoffs. I expect more students tomorrow, and a draw close to 5,000.
                    It likely played some factor, but our entire fanbase isn't in Indianapolis right now. Had our athletic department done some degree of new-media promotion outside of the base of university employees and season ticketholders, the crowd would have been better. This I am 100-percent sure of.

And, playing around with the ticketing website right now, the draw for tomorrow doesn't look like it's going to be much better. I'm certain we'll have more students in the building, but, from what I saw tonight, and judging from where the biggest blocks of empty seats are right now, I'd be surprised if we brought in a crowd of better than 4,000 for tomorrow.
                    Last edited by aallenpollreisz; 03-12-2010, 11:57 PM.
                    66 - 86 - 07

Comment

No idea on what happened with the goal horn. I _think_ that the PA announcer was saying "Michigan skating at full strength" but that the "skating" sounded like "State".

The entire game was surreal. As a Michigan fan I enjoyed it, but I never would have expected that, and certainly don't think it's likely to go like that on Saturday.
                      Hail! Hail! to Michigan, the champions of the CCHA (2010-11 regular season)!

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        It likely played some factor, but our entire fanbase isn't in Indianapolis right now. Had our athletic department done some degree of new-media promotion outside of university employees and season ticketholders, the crowd would have been better. This I am 100-percent sure of.

And, playing around with the ticketing website right now, the draw for tomorrow doesn't look like it's going to be much better. I'm certain we'll have more students in the building, but, from what I saw tonight, and judging from where the biggest blocks of empty seats are right now, I'd be surprised if we brought in a crowd of better than 4,000 for tomorrow.
                        Yeah I hear ya. I was just talking to my father about the attendance issues. He has been a season ticket holder for 28 years. We both recognized that attendance has been great the past couple months compared with the last couple seasons. It really seemed like the community was interested in Spartan Hockey again. Free tickets or not, people were willing to come to Munn Arena. In contrast it was amazing how dead the arena was tonight.

Now my mother, who was with me at the game tonight said it was the most "pathetic" feeling she has ever had as a Spartan. She has worked for MSU for 32 years and has tickets in all 4 of the big sports...to say this is the lowest of the low is really saying a lot. Our cheers were drowned out by the "we cant hear you" chant of the Michigan fans. At first I thought "pathetic" was a little bit dramatic but the more I think about it that is exactly what it was...pathetic.
                        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Yeah I hear ya. I was just talking to my father about the attendance issues. He has been a season ticket holder for 28 years. We both recognized that attendance has been great the past couple months compared with the last couple seasons. It really seemed like the community was interested in Spartan Hockey again. Free tickets or not, people were willing to come to Munn Arena. In contrast it was amazing how dead the arena was tonight.
                          And honestly, I still think there's a large group of casual fans that still want to come to the rink. I mean, there's jack-squat to do around town right now, and we're essentially running unopposed for the local entertainment dollar.

Thing is, there was one common denominator which, I think, led to each of our 6,000+ draws this season: E-mail promotion to non-base fans. Literally, the day after a mass e-mail was sent out promoting a hockey event at Munn, only scattered seats behind the end-boards and deep in the corners would remain. Every single time.

This is why I sent a 500-some-odd word e-mail to Hollis on Sunday (and anybody else in the athletic department that would listen to me), pleading for aggressive e-mail marketing to non-base fans throughout the week. The athletic department didn't do that, and consequently, I think it hurt our gate tonight (and will likely hurt our gate tomorrow and Sunday, too).
                          Last edited by aallenpollreisz; 03-13-2010, 12:18 AM.
                          66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Yes, I know exactly the double standard in my posting here...I had a feeling it was going to be a tough night on and off the ice, but I never expected what we saw tonight. The truth is that I have a lot of respect for the rivalry, but I think the young MSU team was too caught up in the rivalry part of the game tonight and not enough on the sense of urgency that comes with playoff hockey. I can only hope that they show up tomorrow with a new attitude.
                            I hope the "Hey! We're 16th in the Pairwise right now! We lose tonight and our season is done!" pitch will be enough.
                            66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Our cheers were drowned out by the "we cant hear you" chant of the Michigan fans.

I heard that chant loud and clear on the CBS internet feed that had the sparty homer announcers. That was absolutely priceless!
                              Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think we will play much better on saturday night but if that will be enough for a win,i don't know.

Also, the goal horn miscue was like the cap on a miserable night. I was already upset at the attendance before the game even started and it was just a terrible, hopeless feeling for the rest of the night once we got down by a couple.

Also, Palmisano should just stay in his net.

Comment

Working...
                                X