This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

[QUOTE=FlagDUDE08;4679472]Heck, I only heard your postgame, and it sounded pretty good.

Me, too, and I thought it was quite professional. I would add that I have listened to a lot of the games on the radio this year while in the car, and I never heard anything resembling what is claimed to have gone on, much less a hint of it.

Comment

I appreicate that Mike. WRPI is probably one of the least homer-iffic college broadcasts around. Obviously there's going to be a pro-RPI lean, but some of the stuff being mentioned in that thread is going well above and beyond anything that was said and is obnoxious.

Perhaps those fans complaining will realize that not everything said on here is said in a vacuum.
      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

So is Chase Polacek an NHL Free Agent, or has he been drafted by a team? Thanks. Is there any interest from pro team(s) right now?

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
          So is Chase Polacek an NHL Free Agent, or has he been drafted by a team? Thanks. Is there any interest from pro team(s) right now?
          He wasn't drafted. I assume that he has garnered interest by the NHL.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI joins the 04-05 Union Dutchmen as the only home teams to lose Game 3 of the ECAC First Round playoffs since 2002-03.

This pushes RPI's record in Game 3s (again, since 02-03) to 0-3.

As I stated on the Pick the Playoffs thread, this was the first year that three different series of the first round went to three games.
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
              Undrafted free agent but with one more year of college to go.
              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Today is 8 March 2010. There are 215 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 9 October for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  If either one of them jumps this year, they should never have been admitted to RPI because they'd be exposing vast stupidity.

They both seem pretty smart.

Sorry.
                  I agree completely. Only players who never should have gone to college in the first place, which neither of these are, leave after one year. Two years could be another story, but we should see indications during next season if either will leave then.

They both benefit from more seasoning at this leave, and to be honest, Pirri still has to add weight/muscle, which he can do better at the college level then in the minors where much more time is spent at actual games.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI is losing five players from this year's team, two on O (Kerins, Vassel) and three on D (Merth, Burgdoerfer, and Jensen). That is, assuming no one leaves early, which I said will be the case in my previous post. Yes, I don't expect any of our other draft choices (Foss, York, Bergin) or Polacek to leave either.

IMHO, continued improvement by the returning players and incoming freshmen (whether or not Laliberte and Quinn show up), should make next year's team significantly better. I will truly be disappointed if next year's team doesn't make it to Albany Atlantic City, and there is an excellent chance for an NCAA bid.

Kerins truly came into his own this season, but Laliberte, if he shows up, will be an improvement. If he doesn't, then Higgs probably won't be as good next season as Kerins was, but he has more potential, and we will rely more on improvement of other players to take Kerins' place. Vassel was an important role player for four years, but IMHO, any of many players can take his place -- Smith, Burgdoerfer II, Tinordi.

On defense, IMHO, Burgdoerfer will be the biggest loss. Merth's best positive trait is probably his leadership. Jensen, like Kerins, saved his best for his senior season. It isn't exactly clear who will take any of their places. Bailen and Leboeuf are likely to be two of the players. The third isn't clear. Zarbo only played one game this year. I don't know how he fits into SA's plans. Quinn and Curadi may or may not show up next season, but probably one will. It wouldn't surprise me if we still sign another dman this spring/summer.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Altough I'm sad the season for RPI is over, I think it was a good lesson for the boys to learn. They will come back stronger and better in the fall. This team has so much talent, but is still not at it's full potential. I was hoping it would come together in the playoffs, but the imaturity of the team still shows. I guess it takes time, and we just ran out of it. I think we sometimes forget that this is a very young team. I'm looking forward to next fall, and I'm excited for the new recuits.
                      I wish the ECAC could get some new refs as well, or at least change the rule so you don't get stuck with the same refs for the whole weekend. Nothing worse than having 4 refs with "Power Egos". What a shame for the game of hockey.
                      Last edited by Go Puckman; 03-08-2010, 06:56 AM. Reason: being an airhead

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                        The Engineers far exceeded my expectations this season. I thought .500 in conference play would be a stretch. They played fantastic! I can't wait til October.
                        I'm sure that the expectations of the powers that be at RPI were and are expecting more. They have made a substantial investment in the program. .500 or one game over is probably not what they thought they were going to get. I like SA, but it's time to check the whole body of work. Out of 152 games, the boys from Troy have won 49 times, less than 1/3 of the time. Sure the win total jumped this year, but it couldn't get much lower, could it? This topic was bandied about on this site last year, and the consensus was, in my opinion, Albany or bust. Well, we're still on the wrong side of the river, and a meteoric rise to mediocrity should not be enough to maintain this job. I realize that SA has supposedly brought in studs, but what's happening when they get here? ND football had supposedly high rated recruiting classes, and well, we know what happened there. Is this much different?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          IMHO, continued improvement by the returning players and incoming freshmen (whether or not Laliberte and Quinn show up), should make next year's team significantly better. I will truly be disappointed if next year's team doesn't make it to Albany Atlantic City, and there is an excellent chance for an NCAA bid.
                          Completely agree with everything here. I mentioned a few months ago that I felt this years team was a .500 level team and before the season started I did have my doubts. If you take a look back at the teams who have had recent success in the league (Princeton, Yale an Clarkson come to mind), they all had one .500 season and the following year boom 20+ win season and an NCAA appearance. Needless to say, I will also be disappointed if next years team doesnt make it to AC or get a NCAA bid. October cant come soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            By the way, this all just confirms for me that WRPI is still a high quality operation. Well done, Tim and Joe.
                            Completely agree. I admit I haven't listened to WRPI too much since the Jayson Moy & Kurt Stutt days, but I thought Tim & Joe are as good as anyone I've heard. You're always going to get some homer-ism from a specific team's broadcast...you just need the maturity to look past it and let it go.

As for the team, they will only be getting better. It's too bad they couldn't reach Albany, even though they probably would have had to go through Union to get there this year. I don't look forward to another year of Polacek, nor do I look forward to seeing at least a couple more years of D'Amigo & Pirri.
                            Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                              Appert might need to go his systems aren't working the d is slow I can't wait for fresh d next yeAr
                              Rvd, I'd like to invite you to my North Country trip next year. Bring a decent amount of personal belongings when we go to Potsdam, because I will be leaving you there. You'll fit in well.

Comment

Originally posted by crossbar View Post
                                I'm sure that the expectations of the powers that be at RPI were and are expecting more. They have made a substantial investment in the program. .500 or one game over is probably not what they thought they were going to get. I like SA, but it's time to check the whole body of work. Out of 152 games, the boys from Troy have won 49 times, less than 1/3 of the time. Sure the win total jumped this year, but it couldn't get much lower, could it? This topic was bandied about on this site last year, and the consensus was, in my opinion, Albany or bust. Well, we're still on the wrong side of the river, and a meteoric rise to mediocrity should not be enough to maintain this job. I realize that SA has supposedly brought in studs, but what's happening when they get here? ND football had supposedly high rated recruiting classes, and well, we know what happened there. Is this much different?
                                This is much different. It is all about perspective. See Providence College who just finished year five with a "new" coach, a school legend. He has had four straight losing seasons, the last two with 20 losses. His teams have 9 league wins in the last 54 league games and finished 10 points behind the next team and 11 points out of the playoffs in Hockey East. His teams regularly quit come January and players leave left and right. That coach got a three year contract extension in his second year.

A rise to mediocrity has to happen before reaching the top echelon. It takes at least five years to turn a program around. I have watched Providence fall into the depths of irrelevancy in Army's five years and RPI make a steady rise in Appert's four. I like what I see at RPI.

Comment

Working...
                                X