FORE! WCHA First Round - Michigan Tech at Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FORE! WCHA First Round - Michigan Tech at Denver

Gwoz with huge props to MTU and Jamie for playing hard all weekend and never giving up. He said most teams in their position, with their top players out, would throw in the towel. He said that MTU played well in the last third of the season and should use this series as springboard to early season success next year. He knows they have good recruits coming in and he expects them to be a much better team over the whole season.

He said DU didn't show up for the 1st period and finally got it going in the 2nd. DU made mistakes again which cost them goals especially MTU's 3rd goal when DU coughed up the puck on their goal line by trying to be too fancy and not getting the puck out of the zone. He is looking forward to the Final Five as it is a great tournament.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Tech played us very tough the last four games of the season. Held our strong PP to 0-12 in the last three. I thought it was very professional of Gwoz to talk about how well they carried themselves at the end of the season and how they'll use that as a springboard next year.

OMG! The officiating was awful tonight, Campion and that other clown were just pitiful. I heard the commissioner on the pre-game driving in and he sounded like a complete idiot. It's no wonder the WCHA refs suck so bad.

It was an exciting weekend of CH around the country. I so hope the Gophers can knock off the girls tomorrow night.
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

thank you all for passing on Gwoz's comments. little things (a kind word) mean alot when you've been down as long as we have. Good Luck in the playoffs. With Chevy in net I think your going to get along just fine.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

For long stretches this weekend it was difficult to figure out who was the #1 seed and who was #10. The Huskies played well and as usual Chevy made some big saves to keep DU in the games. It's got to hurt for a program with the proud traditions of MTU to be in this position. Believe me when I say I know how Tech fans feel. For the most part, the '80's and 90's were a tutorial on failure for us. Heck, we almost lost the university during that period, never mind the hockey team.

Younger Tech fans may not realize that John McInnes had a goalie rotation with Tony Esposito--the guy didn't play every night! So one Saturday night I interviewed Tony between periods after he'd lost the night before. A complete gentleman, funny and informative. Anyway, IMO, college hockey needs for Tech to be competitive and I hope it happens sooner rather than later. Good luck down the road.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            For long stretches this weekend it was difficult to figure out who was the #1 seed and who was #10. The Huskies played well and as usual Chevy made some big saves to keep DU in the games. It's got to hurt for a program with the proud traditions of MTU to be in this position. Believe me when I say I know how Tech fans feel. For the most part, the '80's and 90's were a tutorial on failure for us. Heck, we almost lost the university during that period, never mind the hockey team.

Younger Tech fans may not realize that John McInnes had a goalie rotation with Tony Esposito--the guy didn't play every night! So one Saturday night I interviewed Tony between periods after he'd lost the night before. A complete gentleman, funny and informative. Anyway, IMO, college hockey needs for Tech to be competitive and I hope it happens sooner rather than later. Good luck down the road.
            Thanks for the kind words Old Pio, and I do apologize for early (sort of). I certainly felt like MTU was turning the corner with the playoff win against CC a few years back but since then the curve has gone the wrong way...hopefully the positives seen in 2010 will continue into next season and this team can catch some breaks, stay healthy for once and compete for home ice sooner, rather than later.

As much as I have appreciated Russell and his efforts over his 7 years, his leash must be pretty short after the last 2 years. I don't see him being fired this offseason but If next year starts very poorly or goes as bad as this year, he is more than likely done with 2 years left on his current deal.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Thanks for the kind words Old Pio, and I do apologize for early (sort of). I certainly felt like MTU was turning the corner with the playoff win against CC a few years back but since then the curve has gone the wrong way...hopefully the positives seen in 2010 will continue into next season and this team can catch some breaks, stay healthy for once and compete for home ice sooner, rather than later.

As much as I have appreciated Russell and his efforts over his 7 years, his leash must be pretty short after the last 2 years. I don't see him being fired this offseason but If next year starts very poorly or goes as bad as this year, he is more than likely done with 2 years left on his current deal.
              Thanks, but no need to apologize (even half way ) I occasionally get pretty obnoxious. Tech has a tough row to hoe, but I think home ice is not an unrealistic goal. The toughest call for an AD to make in any sport is when to pull the plug on an under performing coach. What frequently happens is a series of "resets" where there's no real improvement. And once in a while a coach will be fired and a school institutes changes (academic and otherwise) designed to help the new guy--which is hugely unfair to the old guy.

Look what happened at Texas Tech. The most successful coach in the history of the school by a mile and he's out because a whiney prima donna with a well connected daddy b****ed. That doesn't have anything to do with Michigan Tech, of course, it just reflects the craziness that's out there. I'm almost always the guy arguing to give a coach enough time to get the job done and to make whatever institutional changes being contemplated before the guy is fired. Give him a chance.

I think Gwoz was sincere in his comments but was also lobbying for a coaching compatriot who's in a tough situation, no matter what.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
              X