Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by asox2000 View Post
    What's the BU Hockey Showcase?
    You may be familiar with it, it was recently renamed the 'Alex Greer Showcase.'
    Boston University 2009 Champs
    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      What needs to happen above all else next year is Fidel and Pablo need to keep developing in D.
      wait, who is Pablo?

but thanks for the responses...
      Boston University Hockey National Champions: 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

"We shouldn't have to beat BC for the nationals. Hell, we can do that any time." - BU legend Jack O'Callahan after winning NCAA championship

30 Beanpot titles and counting

Comment

Originally posted by BU-Grad View Post
        after reading this, I am not feeling very confident about next season.

can anyone give me some reason for optimism?
        I mind as well finish.

Goalltending: Goalies are a mystery to me, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect here. Obviously we all hope Millan is spectacular (and if he is, he can carry this team a long way), but again I just don't understand the species.

Comment

I am right there with you. I think it will be tougher than this year
          Sean Connery in the Jeopardy sketch. "I'll take Butt Error for 200." "That's B. U. Terror." "That's what you think!"

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hockey x2 View Post
            I mind as well finish.

Goalltending: Goalies are a mystery to me, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect here. Obviously we all hope Millan is spectacular (and if he is, he can carry this team a long way), but again I just don't understand the species.
            I'm going to hope this was a version of the (dubious) year-after affect in baseball with regards to Kieran. He played a lot of minutes last year for a freshman, we all saw the effect it may or may not have had on Muse in 08-09. We will need Kieran to be almost as good as his 08-09 self with a less able defense core in front of him, a very tall task.
            Boston University 2009 Champs
            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hockey x2 View Post

Offensively: I really liked Cohen and Popko...
              Which aspects of Luke's game offensively did you like?
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                Which aspects of Luke's game offensively did you like?
                He did have a sweet one-time finish on a pass from Bonino at the tail-end of one of BU's better games this year. He put that in and I think we all did a double-take, looked at each other, at Popko, then at Saponari, and all just kind of thought the same thing...
                Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

How much optimism did you have for the 08-09 season in the beginning of April, 2008? #1 goaltender removed from the team, our season riding on the shoulders of two freshmen, one of them recruited in a hurry. Same awful defensemen, and a group of forwards who, besides Wilson, Bonino and Higgins, weren't really looking too good. We were looking at having three lines of: completely untested freshmen (including Connolly, who wasn't exactly a big time recruit); Popko, Periera and one of not good Glass, Gilroy, or waste of space Z. Cohen; and offensive juggernauts Lawrence and Yip, and McCarthy. Look how that turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    How much optimism did you have for the 08-09 season in the beginning of April, 2008? #1 goaltender removed from the team, our season riding on the shoulders of two freshmen, one of them recruited in a hurry. Same awful defensemen, and a group of forwards who, besides Wilson, Bonino and Higgins, weren't really looking too good. We were looking at having three lines of: completely untested freshmen (including Connolly, who wasn't exactly a big time recruit); Popko, Periera and one of not good Glass, Gilroy, or waste of space Z. Cohen; and offensive juggernauts Lawrence and Yip, and McCarthy. Look how that turned out.
                    and the underperforming Yip and Lawrence who both couldn't score...
                    time to write new history

Comment

I told my buddy that preseason that if either goalie could play, we were looking at a Frozen Four/National Championship contender...I swear that's true.

I just looked at our defense, Wilson, Bonino and Higgins and thought we had enough possible offensive power and defense to be a monster team.

Man, it felt good to be right about that.
                      I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by 25 N Countin' View Post
                        I told my buddy that preseason that if either goalie could play, we were looking at a Frozen Four/National Championship contender...I swear that's true.

I just looked at our defense, Wilson, Bonino and Higgins and thought we had enough possible offensive power and defense to be a monster team.

Man, it felt good to be right about that.
                        Until I saw them play North Dakota, I figured they'd lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament, typical mediocre BU. That's what I'm thinking about next season, too.

Comment

Until I saw them play North Dakota, I figured they'd lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament, typical mediocre BU. That's what I'm thinking about next season, too.
                          I remember people on here wondering after we thumped Michigan if we would make the tournament or not.
                          time to write new history

Comment

I remember thinking they were a definite NCAA tourney team and a possible Frozen Four team before the season even started. After the Michigan game, I told my friends (and probably even posted it on here) that I thought they were a legitimate national title contender.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

i'll admit it certainly wasn't the first game that i pronounced them the team of destiny and awarded them the NC (it was sometime after that )
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

that has held true for a long time... i guess the 80s was probably the last time we missed the ncaa tourney twice in a row...

i'm usually overly optimistic about BU hockey - i thought before the season that this was a team that would at least win one game in the ncaa tournament and had a good shot at the FF

i just don't see any way the team won't be mediocre next year, unless this year's troubles were solely due to attitude and not the talent drain. i mean, after 09 we lost 5 of the top 6 scorers and the top two defensemen, and looks like we're losing a bunch of underclassmen again this offseason. ugh...
                                Recruiting is always a little speculative but BU has 3 of the top forward recruits in the country committed for next season, Coyle, Nieto, and Gill. I can't remember the last time BU had this many top forwards coming in at once. I think it will be tough to ride to the Frozen Four on the backs of Freshmen. But they are all considered highly skilled and, assuming they all come [a fourth, Cisse, has already deferred to 11'], it is fair to expect that they will contribute right away. That should give you a little optimism ...

Comment

Working...
                                X