Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    This will be an eagerly anticipated update for a select subset of the Boston sports scene.

Perhaps a book about this season's team would be even more interesting than "Burn the Boats".
    yeah... i hope that by "running next week" he means monday, monday, and monday
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      This will be an eagerly anticipated update for a select subset of the Boston sports scene.

Perhaps a book about this season's team would be even more interesting than "Burn the Boats".
      Don't get your sights set too high. They weren't exactly robbing banks and stealing TVs.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
        Don't get your sights set too high. They weren't exactly robbing banks and stealing TVs.
        of course not.... that would require effort.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I know most people thought it was '10 (we even had it as that on the blog), but it was never '10. The plan from the start was Cisse in '10, Coyle in '11. It wasn't until Cisse's injury that Coyle became a possibility for '10. I'm not really sure who was responsible for first saying it was '10, but I think the rest of us just ran with that.
          http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/20...g-to-2010.html

USHR reported last summer that he was accelerating, so he had planned to do so before Cisse's injury (maybe when Megan was accelerated to this year). Perhaps Parker would have told him around now to wait another year if Cisse hadn't gone down, but considering the prospect hype Coyle has gotten we likely wouldn't be able to ask that and expect him not to go MJ.
          Last edited by candycanes99; 03-31-2010, 08:17 PM.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

He may have accelerated his graduation, but the plan was never to have him come straight to BU. This according to more than one person close to the team.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I see what you did here...Good foreshadowing my friend.
              Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                I see what you did here...Good foreshadowing my friend.
                They robbed CityCo and stole chicken from Cane's?
                time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                  http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/20...g-to-2010.html

USHR reported last summer that he was accelerating, so he had planned to do so before Cisse's injury (maybe when Megan was accelerated to this year). Perhaps Parker would have told him around now to wait another year if Cisse hadn't gone down, but considering the prospect hype Coyle has gotten we likely wouldn't be able to ask that and expect him not to go MJ.
                  For the Terrier Hockey Fan Blog, Coyle was originally reported as 2011. It was switched last fall, probably following the report candycanes mentions. Coyle is among the 100 draft-eligible prospects invited to the NHL combine in May http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523416

Federal League's article indicates that BU has someone lined up to take Shattenkirk's place and some other possibilities if Colby leaves. Who might these possibilities be? Just speculation, but three prep defensemen who were ranked in the NHL midterm rankings all attended last summer's BU Hockey Showcase. Both Wade Megan and Sean Escobedo committed to BU after attending the 2008 Showcase. The three D-men are: Jack Caldwell, Belmont Hill, Ellitot Bostrom, Taft, and Logan Roe, Kent. All have good size which BU would need if Cohen leaves and with Gryba gone.

Following Gill's progress at Vernon, I've noticed the Vipers have big D-man who was an All-Scholastic at Catholic Memorial a year ago, Garrett Noonan. Again, no idea if he's even on BU's radar. There are a few other names in both the US and Canada that srs terrier pointed out. But I'd imagine we'll find out who gets Shattenkirk's scholly, as soon as he signs with the Avs.
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Bonino didn't stand out to me amongst the other NHLers during the Anaheim-Colorado game. Granted, his whole line was pretty much a non-factor in Ryan-Bonino-Perry. Bonino definitely needs work on his skating when compared to his peers out there, but one thing that already stands out this early in his career is his puck poise. He is very patient with the puck and looks for the right play. He should definitely get a great look at camp next season.
                    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
                    Boston University '06/'08
                    Yale University '13

Comment

after reading this, I am not feeling very confident about next season.

can anyone give me some reason for optimism?
                      Boston University Hockey National Champions: 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

"We shouldn't have to beat BC for the nationals. Hell, we can do that any time." - BU legend Jack O'Callahan after winning NCAA championship

30 Beanpot titles and counting

Comment

Originally posted by Stories View Post
                        Bonino didn't stand out to me amongst the other NHLers during the Anaheim-Colorado game. Granted, his whole line was pretty much a non-factor in Ryan-Bonino-Perry. Bonino definitely needs work on his skating when compared to his peers out there, but one thing that already stands out this early in his career is his puck poise. He is very patient with the puck and looks for the right play. He should definitely get a great look at camp next season.
                        Yeah, in his 3rd professional game, even without outstanding linemates like that, I wouldn't look for him to be doing all that much, but still trying to get used to the pace and flow of the NHL. The fact that he's still getting ice time and doesn't look that out of place is really good.

Originally posted by BU-Grad View Post

When's the last time we had two poor seasons in a row?
                        Boston University 2009 Champs
                        Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post

When's the last time we had two poor seasons in a row?
                          that has held true for a long time... i guess the 80s was probably the last time we missed the ncaa tourney twice in a row...

i'm usually overly optimistic about BU hockey - i thought before the season that this was a team that would at least win one game in the ncaa tournament and had a good shot at the FF

i just don't see any way the team won't be mediocre next year, unless this year's troubles were solely due to attitude and not the talent drain. i mean, after 09 we lost 5 of the top 6 scorers and the top two defensemen, and looks like we're losing a bunch of underclassmen again this offseason. ugh...
                          Boston University Hockey National Champions: 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

"We shouldn't have to beat BC for the nationals. Hell, we can do that any time." - BU legend Jack O'Callahan after winning NCAA championship

30 Beanpot titles and counting

Comment

[QUOTE=Rogie21;4732932] "BU Hockey Showcase. Both Wade Megan and Sean Escobedo committed to BU after attending the 2008 Showcase. The three D-men are: Jack Caldwell, Belmont Hill, Ellitot Bostrom, Taft, and Logan Roe, Kent. All have good size which BU would need if Cohen leaves and with Gryba gone."

What's the BU Hockey Showcase?

Comment

We all knew Bonino was gone after this season, and good for him. Didn't realize he'd put up 38 points this year even with some missed games and playing with teammates that missed wide open nets at an unprecedented clip.

To that end, the offense should be fine if they get it together. Saponari should have scored 40 points and 20 goals last year if he could shoot straight. Chiasson, Connolly, Periera, etc. These guys can generate some offense, and will need to in order to keep play in the other team's zone. Because...

The D is going to be the biggest concern. What needs to happen above all else next year is Fidel and Pablo need to keep developing in D. Last year they looked good but made the usual rookie mistakes. This year they both need to step up. If there's one good recruit of the D coming in, they're not in bad shape (and to the team's credit they do regularly bring in good defensemen).
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'll give it a shot:

On defense: Despite the fact that they were consistently praised by Parker throughout the year, I don't think most realize exactly how good Escobedo and Nicastro were. Worsofsky is obviously a gifted player. Clendening will come in ready to play. So if Ruikka can survive the preseason and Rosen can be solid in his defensive end we might just be ok. We'll obviously need one more, but I feel like we've had some luck with the last minute pickups. Gilroy and Santana come to mind. With the loss of two offensive minded D'men can an argument be made that it will free up the forwards a little be more aggressive offensively?

Offensively: I really liked Cohen and Popko, but I'm not really sure anyone would call them difference makers? We lost Bonino, which obviously hurts. Maybe the fact that we don't have a "super star" offensively will actually help this team. I have no doubt Gaudet will be a significant offensive threat, he'll be the biggest upside surprise. Trivino had a great year, Vinny found some fire at the end of the season and I expect more scoring out of Periera, Connolly and Chiasson. Nieto will contribute, he was first or second in scoring at USNDTP and I don't remember too many of those guys being a bust. Throw in Coyle as a potential impact player and we've got three solid lines, with about 6 guys competing for playing time (and because of who they are I expect them to compete hard). If nothing else they have depth at offense, just need someone to put the puck in the net.
                                Last edited by BU Hockey x2; 04-01-2010, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X