Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by Sect8RowESeat15 View Post
    Credit Ducks Website:

Ducks Sign Nick Bonino
    Sunday, 03.21.2010 / 6:25 PM / News
    ^*%^@
    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
    Boston University '06/'08
    Yale University '13

Comment

• Re: B.U. Season Thread 4. From a weekend that will determine playoff seedings on....

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
      I asked this earlier but no one seems to know, exactly what does Buddy Powers do?

Bavis worked with the forwards before and during Quinn's tenure. You'd assume that Powers worked with the defense. Everyone besides Gryba and Warsofsky seemed to regress on defense this year.
      Not having Quinn or a CREDIBLE d-coach was a huge problem. Quinn could dissect the plays and come up with viable suggestions. Buddy was like a fill-in and really was well out of his league. I think Quinn leaving, left Parker in a desperate situation and this ultimately affected the growth of the D. That being said the boys should have been able to up their game.

Warsofsky had a good year and was very consistent. He just needs to make sure to not play in his own rink all the time. Sometimes he just tries to do too much.

Gryba technically sat out two full games for penalties. Tough is good to a point but he may have gone over the edge this year.

The power play spent too much time up top and needed to cycle low to free up the point and weakside shot. The problem may be the fact that the forwards for most part were not terribly tough on the boards. They simply lost too many battles.

C Cohen is worse defensively than last year. He will need to develop much more than an NHL shot. I hope that he can pick it up in his senior year as I can't believe that he will sign in the off season.

Shattenkirk seemed to struggle and it may well be the pressure associated with leadership. He certainly showed positive flashes but not as consistently as one would expect. I think he will go pro.

Nicastro and Escobedo came a long way, but with the proper coaching may have come farther sooner.

Overall, what happened was predictable. They didn't have the forwards that could bury the puck in the net on a regular basis. They generally were not tough enough to win the battles when they needed to win them. But most of all the forwards did not meet their defensive responsibilities in all three zones.

Another huge problem that I saw this year were turnovers in the neutral zone. HORRIBLE. This put a lot of pressure on the D because these usually created odd man rushes. More often than not the d men made the first pass but the next pass just seemed to get picked off. Maybe they were too predictable.

Hopefully the team learns from this year and comes back strong in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
        -
        - Assuming Bonino and Shattenkirk are both gone, I wonder if C. Cohen will have any interest or be a good influence in the locker room. So maybe it's best if he goes too.

- Nieto, Coyle and Gill are all skilled players who are not well-suited to the 4th line. If I'm not mistaken, Cisse, if he comes next year, is a little more of a power forward.

- Some uncommited D-men out there: Austin Coldwell, Des Moines (USHL); Dan Furlong, Sioux Falls (USHL); Nick Amies, Cowichan Valley (BCHL) [#135 on mid-term rankings]; John Caldwell, Belmont Hill (MA) [#204 on mid-term rankings]; Logan Roe, Kent (CT) [#103 on mid-term rankings but listed by Heisenberg as an 11' recruit]; Jared Wiedemann, Dexter (MA) [#161 on Mid-term rankings]; Craig Boekenfohr, Camrose (AJHL). Disclaimer: this is not an exhaustive list and not an original one either - most have been mentioned by College Hockey Recruit Exchange, among others.
        I expect BU will add another D-man to its recruit class, but Colby's decision will influence whether he's a scholarship player or a walk-on. Either way, BU needs a defensive-minded guy with size. There are a few other uncommitted Ds in Canadian Junior A, including Garrett Noonan, a CM grad playing in Vernon with Gill, who fit that bill.

Speaking of Gill, who is more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer, he had a strong night on Saturday in Vernon's 3-2 win in the BCHL playoffs.

However, the Vipers got that goal back on a superb three-way passing play by the Jones twins and Sahir Gill. Displaying the magic that often sparked the Vipers in last year’s playoff run, they exchanged passes at high speed with Gill the trigger man at 11:03. Gill swept by the goal and beat Sean Bonar with a backhander.

That line struck again at 18:20. Gill flattened big defender Isaac MacLeod in the left corner, to free the puck for Kellen Jones. Connor Jones snapped Kellen’s quick pass into the top corner over Bonar’s left shoulder, and the Vipers took a 2-1 lead into the first intermission.
        MacLeod is a 6'4" defenseman who picked BC over BU. Putting Gill on a line with a finisher--perhaps Gaudet and Coyle--would maximize his effectiveness.

Nieto--with a U18-leading 26 goals--is a finisher, too, and if he makes a quick transition to D1, could end up on BU's second line with Megan and possibly Chiasson.

Coyle stock continues to rise. ISS ranked him #27 overall for the draft. Central Scouting had him at 19 for N. Americans in the midterms. It will be interesting to see if he joins the U18s again for the Worlds as he did in the Fall.
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

All at the same time! We'll dominate 1 x 6!
          "Attention! Attention, please! We have a slight change in the Terriers lineup. Now pitching: Alex Greer; 1st base: Alex Greer; 3rd base: Alex Greer; Centerfield: Alex Greer; Catching: Alex Greer; Right field Alex Greer 2nd base Alex Greer LeftfieldAlexGreerShortstopAlexGreer!"

Anyone? Anyone?

*****http://i703.***********.com/albums/ww31/DSPHK/BaseballBugs1946-18.jpg******
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by stripes99 View Post

Buddy was like a fill-in and really was well out of his league. I think Quinn leaving, left Parker in a desperate situation ...
            Do you know this for a fact? If so, what's your source? Or is this merely opinion and speculation?
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

So now that the season is over, I'd think the Sens will be giving Gryba a look, at least in the AHL. Think Popko or ZCohen get ATOs anywhere?
              "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
                So now that the season is over, I'd think the Sens will be giving Gryba a look, at least in the AHL. Think Popko or ZCohen get ATOs anywhere?
                Cohen mentioned a couple weeks ago that he'd been in touch with a few teams, but nothing definite. Seemed like taking a stab at pro hockey was on his to-do list, though. Haven't heard anything on Popko.
                Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Popko...he was good at face-offs. He was good on the penalty kill.

Besides that, I'm not feeling his career being all that long.
                  Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

How strange is it that the 1st, 2nd, and 8th place team (one point away from not making the HE tournament. ) in Hockey East are in the big skate?

Who would you rather go to battle with? Maine or UVM?

Question on Vinny: He played like a man possessed in the post season. Where was that all year?

Another question: Have you ever seen a team miss the net more than this year's Terriers?

BU Hockey: Go Redhawks!
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Popko...he was good at face-offs. He was good on the penalty kill.

Besides that, I'm not feeling his career being all that long.
                      For the right team, that's not a bad role. I'm not thinking he could get past the AHL, but he might play a limited but effective role on an AHL or ECHL team.

Photography

Comment

Asked Popko about his future last week (shameless plus: I'll have a feature on him in Thursday's Freep). As is the case with everything else in his life, he was pretty relaxed about it. Said he'd see what's out there after the season was over, which it obviously now is. He definitely plans to play somewhere, though.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          How strange is it that the 1st, 2nd, and 8th place team (one point away from not making the HE tournament. ) in Hockey East are in the big skate?
                          Very strange. Hockey East was a very strange conference this year. Still good to see 3 Hockey East teams make it. A shame Maine was not able to make it.

Another question: Have you ever seen a team miss the net more than this year's Terriers?
                          The 07-08 team.

BU Hockey: Go Redhawks!
                          I would love to see the Redhawks win. I would also like to see BSU go far again this year. However, and I know it is blasphemy, I will still be hoping BC wins it. Not just for hockey east but to have the city of Boston take home the national championship three times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                            I would love to see the Redhawks win. I would also like to see BSU go far again this year. However, and I know it is blasphemy, I will still be hoping BC wins it. Not just for hockey east but to have the city of Boston take home the national championship three times in a row.
                            No way in hell. I'd be content to see them be another pipe away from a national title though.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                              Yeah... blasphemy.

The Redhawks are definitely the feel-good story of the year, I think it's pretty hard to root against them, especially considering Brendan Burke.

I wouldn't mind seeing UNH finally get somewhere, though I'm not convinced they have the team to do it.
                              Last edited by BUT09; 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM.

Photography

Comment

No way in hell. I'd be content to see them be another pipe away from a national title though.
                                You're right, that 1991 National Title game was awesome, thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Working...
                                X