No announcement yet.

If the olympics were still amateur...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If the olympics were still amateur...

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Were the Winter Olympics to use this U-20 model (or U-23?) for hockey, I think the US college coaches would be furious, as players would miss the heart of the schedule and miss a ton of class time,
    Meh.

That's par for the course on the women's side of college hockey. In fact, the top US and Canadian players miss the entire year as both countries centralize their squads.
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      So what else is new, you want pros to play in college, too. Why not just watch the NHL, and then the all-star game?
      The attraction of the Olympics, in my mind, is that it is one of the only places that truly measures world champions head to head - the best athletes in the world in that sport, save for soccer and boxing, which do not send their best athletes to the Games. The Olympics is really many simultaneous world championships where the best players in sports compete for their countries.

The Stanely Cup is a club championship, as is the Super Bowl or the World Series. They may call themselves "world champions" when they win, but they aren't, as those teams represent a city, rather than a country.

Hockey has a world championship each year, but it is a second-rate tourney, as players who are involved in the Stanley Cup playoffs are not included, and many other big star players decline the invitation to play. It's also held primarily in Europe, which reduces its visibility here in the USA.

Hockey's World Cup is a great tourney of best-on-best by country, but it's sporadically held (diminishing its value) and is also held in September, when players often not yet in top form, and it competes with a lot of other sports in full season for visibility. If NHLer don't go to the Olympics, a revamped World Cup is a must.

If the Olympics were only for young athletes or amateur athletes, it reduces the value of an Olympic Medal as the signification of the best, because the best players in that sport aren't there. Olympic Soccer and Boxing medals have been really reduced in meaning without their best athletes competing. Hockey would go backwards in creating a second-tier tourney, much like Olympic Baseball was (and that's why they dropped baseball, because the best weren't coming).

The only reason that people are so fond of the "Miracle on Ice" was that a bunch of young US college players beat "the best" team of Soviet 'amatuers-in-name-only' who had demolished the NHL all stars the year before. If we go to a U-23 or U20 or minor leaguers in the Olympics, the whole tourney is diminished in value because the best players will be in the NHL, including the Russians. Olympic Hockey as a tourney of B and C teams means very little.

Comment

So what else is new, you want pros to play in college, too. Why not just watch the NHL, and then the all-star game?
        For me the Olymipics with NHLs is compelling because they care. What all-star game do you see hitting like the US team dished out. The passion of winning for your country transforms it from exhibition to a real game. I think the days of all-star games are in the past, name one where the players play hard.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          Olympic medals are bought and paid for by wealthy nations vainly pursuing nationalistic ambitions. But hey, its better than going to war or buying weapons.
          It's dick-waving, but it doesn't kill people. And it was good hockey. Enjoy the sports; leave the patriotism to the bumpkins.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            It's dick-waving, but it doesn't kill people.
            Unless they are 40th-ranked lugers

Comment

Unless they are 40th-ranked lugers
              If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                It's dick-waving, but it doesn't kill people. And it was good hockey. Enjoy the sports; leave the patriotism to the bumpkins.
                whaaat r yew talkin bout?
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

The attraction of the Olympics, in my mind, is that it is one of the only places that truly measures world champions head to head - the best athletes in the world in that sport, save for soccer and boxing, which do not send their best athletes to the Games. The Olympics is really many simultaneous world championships where the best players in sports compete for their countries.

The Stanely Cup is a club championship, as is the Super Bowl or the World Series. They may call themselves "world champions" when they win, but they aren't, as those teams represent a city, rather than a country.

Hockey has a world championship each year, but it is a second-rate tourney, as players who are involved in the Stanley Cup playoffs are not included, and many other big star players decline the invitation to play. It's also held primarily in Europe, which reduces its visibility here in the USA.

Hockey's World Cup is a great tourney of best-on-best by country, but it's sporadically held (diminishing its value) and is also held in September, when players often not yet in top form, and it competes with a lot of other sports in full season for visibility. If NHLer don't go to the Olympics, a revamped World Cup is a must.

If the Olympics were only for young athletes or amateur athletes, it reduces the value of an Olympic Medal as the signification of the best, because the best players in that sport aren't there. Olympic Soccer and Boxing medals have been really reduced in meaning without their best athletes competing. Hockey would go backwards in creating a second-tier tourney, much like Olympic Baseball was (and that's why they dropped baseball, because the best weren't coming).

The only reason that people are so fond of the "Miracle on Ice" was that a bunch of young US college players beat "the best" team of Soviet 'amatuers-in-name-only' who had demolished the NHL all stars the year before. If we go to a U-23 or U20 or minor leaguers in the Olympics, the whole tourney is diminished in value because the best players will be in the NHL, including the Russians. Olympic Hockey as a tourney of B and C teams means very little.
                  so, why do you even bother to watch any college hockey, just watch the Avs and forget the WCHA ever existed.
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

so, why do you even bother to watch any college hockey, just watch the Avs and forget the WCHA ever existed.
                    I love college hockey very much. It's entertaining, fun hockey, and connects me to my school and community. But at the Olympics, I just want to see the best possible players represent my country.

Comment

I love college hockey very much. It's entertaining, fun hockey, and connects me to my school and community. But at the Olympics, I just want to see the best possible players represent my country.
                      I can't argue with that. But, it would not bother me at all to go back to amateur, and have the Olympics be the best amateurs players represent my country, and not have many of the players being teammates all from the same league the rest of the year, on a two week break in the NHL season.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I can't argue with that. But, it would not bother me at all to go back to amateur, and have the Olympics be the best amateurs players represent my country, and not have many of the players being teammates all from the same league the rest of the year, on a two week break in the NHL season.
                        Well, you may sort of get your wish, if they keep the N out of Sochi, though I have a real hard time imagining that happens since it will cost somebody a lot of money, and the Olympics has solely been about money ever since this.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Stephane DaCosta (MC) gets to play for France!
                          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

If the NHL opts out of Sochi, it will still be 80% pros. It will just be our best AHL minor leaguers and perhaps a few top college guys against Euro league pros from the KHL, Swiss Elite League, Swedish Ellite league, etc.

In short, the same kind of second tier Olympic tourney we had in 1988, 1992 and 1994.

Good hockey perhaps, but not a showcase for the world's best.

Comment

Working...
                            X