Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
    You are correct, the regular season championship means very little. However, judging by the tone of this thread, we have several BC fans who are bitter that their team failed to take the championship from UNH when it was within their grasp. If I wasnt present at all 3 games, I wouldnt know that BC blew 2, 3 goal leads and squeaked out a 1 goal victory after reading their posts. BC choked bigtime.

I'll say it again, I like UNH's chances against BC at the Garden, if we can get past Vermont!
    Bitter? Disappointed, yes. Not bitter. So now BC choked? LOL. Now that's something to save for a postseason game. Full credit to UNH for winning the title and I really do hope these teams meet again at the Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH
      If I wasnt present at all 3 games, I wouldnt know that BC blew 2, 3 goal leads and squeaked out a 1 goal victory after reading their posts. BC choked bigtime.
      Really? You wouldn't have known that? I was only at one of the games (Friday night) and I knew it Box scores and NESN and internet radio and the like....

If I'm a BC fan, I'm pretty confident that my team will win in the tournament. They're not the top seed, but its hard not to say they're the favorite. I think UNH and BC are the best two teams in the league, a league that from 3rd-9th place was separated by what, 4 points? But Its not a strong league alltogether. Even with UNH winning the championship, I'd have to say BC is the favorite to win the tourney title. If the games were all held on the big sheet, I'd like UNH's chances more, but they're not. It sounded like BC absolutly controled the play on Saturday night and were it not for Foster, the score would have reflected the lopsidedness of play.

I've said before, I think UNH takes pride in this regular season championship much more than any other because there were no expectations this year, the start of the season was a disaster, and they've not given up in any game since early on... I like the character and leadership of this UNH team, I'll say that much, and if its a close game in any of the tourney games, I like their chances to at least make it interesting...

Comment

Look there's nothing to suggest BC can/will blow UNH out or that UNH will fold if they meet again. I just think BC is a better team and would show that again if necessary.

Comment

I think it's interesting that UNH fans have taken note of BC blowing a 3 goal lead twice in Durham and yet seem to forget that UNH blew what... 7 of their 8 point lead for first place over the last few weeks of the season? But that's ok because they held on for that 1 extra point.

Seems like everyone is happy. Guess we should all move on until you guys choke in the tourney(s) again.
          Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

[QUOTE=Greg Ambrose;4677222]
            Originally posted by e.cat View Post

I pointed out correctly that BC has proposed moving the gravesite of one of the most prominent Catholic bishops ever to serve the Boston Diocese in order to pave the way for new construction.
            To correct you, the cardinal asked to be buried at the seminary. Since the seminary has sold the land to BC, BC asked for the tomb to be moved. It is the Archdiocese that is pushing to have it moved as a condition of the sale. Nothing is going to be build where the tomb stands. A parking structure will be built near-by. BC is not in the business of tomb maintenance, simple as that. Had the land been sold to a private developer, they would also have asked for the tomb to be moved.

Glob article

Comment

[QUOTE=AdamBC;4680403]
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

To correct you, the cardinal asked to be buried at the seminary. Since the seminary has sold the land to BC, BC asked for the tomb to be moved. It is the Archdiocese that is pushing to have it moved as a condition of the sale. Nothing is going to be build where the tomb stands. A parking structure will be built near-by. BC is not in the business of tomb maintenance, simple as that. Had the land been sold to a private developer, they would also have asked for the tomb to be moved.

Glob article

Commenting only because this story has interested me. I don't get why a Jesuit university doesn't want the city's most prominent religious figure (arguably) buried on its campus? A private developer wouldn't have that kind of connection. Digging the guy up to put a parking garage nearby? Yikes. Its not going to kill the school to spruce up the place once in awhile. Sounds like BC hired some of Silber's old cronies from BU to do their PR on this one.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Look there's nothing to suggest BC can/will blow UNH out or that UNH will fold if they meet again. I just think BC is a better team and would show that again if necessary.
                a rational statement, time for me to quit reading
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  The regular season does matter (obviously). My point was trying to find out why one particular guy would like UNH's chances against BC in another meeting when they led for a grand total of 45 seconds. Yes, BC blew two big leads, but they were both in Durham. BC thoroughly outplayed UNH on Saturday. UNH can beat BC, was just wondering why he's like their chances.
                  So, you say, "UNH can beat BC," but you're still can't figure out why "he's like their chances"? Could it be because he's a UNH fan? Whew, that was tough.

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                  UNH wins the regular season a lot but wins the HE tourney very seldom and doesn't play in Frozen Fours very much.

BC (although having the most RS titles) hasn't won many recently, but wins the HE tourney a lot and is in the Frozen Four very often.

BC has more Frozen Four appearances in the last ten years than Regular Season crowns.

Do the math and explain to me why BC fans should take the RS crown very seriously.
                  You missed my point. I wasn't talking about the RS title, I was merely using a tidbit of BC "wisdom":
                  RS results aren't always indicative of Postseason match-up results.

Note how long BC led UNH in any of those games (re: JD's constant "UNH only led for 45 seconds" commentary).

I'm pretty sure the BC "party line" heading into that game was "Sure, UNH swept us, but that's just the regular season..." (etc). This year, though, it's reversed (UNH hasn't beat BC this year), but even though it was just the regular season, that's supposed to imply that UNH won't win if they met in the HE finals.

And spare me the "you won't win because you're UNH" bull*. Other teams that have heard that in the past decade: Saints, Colts, Red Sox, Yankees (with/because of ARod), and even *gasp* BC hockey (see: 2001).
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                    So, you say, "UNH can beat BC," but you're still can't figure out why "he's like their chances"? Could it be because he's a UNH fan? Whew, that was tough.
                    So it's solely based on him being a UNH fan? Silly me, I thought it might come down to the two teams on the ice against each other. I was looking for specifics as to why he'd like UNH's chances in another meeting and he's yet to give me any reason why. Not very tough at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post

You missed my point. I wasn't talking about the RS title, I was merely using a tidbit of BC "wisdom":
                      RS results aren't always indicative of Postseason match-up results.

Note how long BC led UNH in any of those games (re: JD's constant "UNH only led for 45 seconds" commentary).

I'm pretty sure the BC "party line" heading into that game was "Sure, UNH swept us, but that's just the regular season..." (etc). This year, though, it's reversed (UNH hasn't beat BC this year), but even though it was just the regular season, that's supposed to imply that UNH won't win if they met in the HE finals.

And spare me the "you won't win because you're UNH" bull*. Other teams that have heard that in the past decade: Saints, Colts, Red Sox, Yankees (with/because of ARod), and even *gasp* BC hockey (see: 2001).
                      Jerry York knows how to beat UNH in the postseason. There is no proof that Dick Umile knows how to beat BC in the postseason. Look as recently as last year. BC has never won consistently at the Whitt during the regular season.
                      York rolls into Durham in the postseason and promptly sweeps the Wildcats in two when I think they won two games up there the previous 8 years or something.

Deny it all you want, but Boston College has UNH's number in the postseason. If it was like BC's recent run over the Sioux, I'd agree it could be anomoly, but BC has beaten UNH when the your Cats clearly should have won. 1999 certainly comes to mind. Until UNH beats BC in the postseason, your bravado is just bravado and really is based on hope more than fact.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post

Glob article
                        :"BC asked for the tomb to be move." "The Archdiocese is pushing to have it moved." So which is it? From what I read in the Globe (just that could make it garbled), BC is going to develop the seminary land, including dorms and a garage, and the tomb/grave was in the way. I also read that Cardinal O'Connell's family is against the move. So is it the school, the church, or both that are ignoring the family's wishes? Whoever it is, it does not make either iinstitution look good

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          Until UNH beats BC in the postseason, your bravado is just bravado and really is based on hope more than fact.
                          Not sure where I've exhibited "bravado". I haven't even said that I think UNH would beat BC in the postseason. You would be right in saying that I hope they would, but I don't know that they would. At this point in this season, I don't know that they wouldn't. I'm certainly not going to use past seasons' results (particularly anything more than a couple of years back) to make predictions on this year.

Bravado would be arguing that even though my team should have swept the season series, but blew two third-period leads and only won the third by a goal*, I think it's a slam-dunk that my team would win a rematch in the HE final. Who does that sound like?

(*Yes, I know, BC would have won that game 156-2 had Foster not stood on his head. Somehow, saying that the goalie UNH will be relying upon is capable of keeping the team in a game doesn't exactly fill me with dread.)
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            So which is it? From what I read in the Globe (just that could make it garbled), BC is going to develop the seminary land, including dorms and a garage, and the tomb/grave was in the way. I also read that Cardinal O'Connell's family is against the move. So is it the school, the church, or both that are ignoring the family's wishes?
                            Boy, for a guy that was an expert last night, you sure do ask a lot of questions.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Just keep posting... just keep posting, just keep posting, posting, posting.
                              What do we do we post, post.
                              Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

It's perpetual groundhog day!
                                AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Working...
                                X