Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

    Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    i would agree bc likely will make it to the garden. all the pressure would be on bc to win it all though.
    Not really. Both these teams are likely already in the NCAA tourney. If they were to meet at the Garden for a championship, there's no more pressure on BC than there is on UNH. If one team had to win to get in, that'd be different.

    Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
    What is the deal with BC this year? What are UNH's odds? Can the BC Defensive game shut UNH down if UNH falls behind? I have always loved how wide open these series are, but it seems UNH has been coming from behind a few too many times this year, and it might not work against the eagles this close to playoffs.
    Defense has been a pleasant surprise for BC this year considering they lost four guys from last year. They are 9th nationally and did a pretty good job against Maine (3rd nationally in offense) this year. Since a 5-4 loss to BU (not counting ENGs), BC's gone 11 games without giving up more than three goals in a game. Can they shutdown UNH? I don't know if that's the right term, but BC is playing pretty well in all areas right now.

    The big question is who's the #1 goalie...

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

      Originally posted by e.cat View Post

      i would agree bc likely will make it to the garden. all the pressure would be on bc to win it all though.
      Seeing how they have handled pressure in the recent past, I hope you are right. Although, I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. BC will have no added pressure than any other team playing at the Garden for the conference tournament title. That said, I do hope you are right, for both the conference title as well as the national title. Jerry's teams have historically responded very well to pressure.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

        If BC were to make the Garden, their two wins in the QFs would be more than enough to secure an NCAA bid (even in a worst case scenario of getting swept by UNH and losing a semifinal). Historically BC has the most Lamoriello Trophies as well. So there really would be no pressure on them at all. Would there be pressure for the #1 seed in the league (assuming UNH gets it) to bring back some hardware that they rarely win? Probably. More than BC would be facing.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          If BC were to make the Garden, their two wins in the QFs would be more than enough to secure an NCAA bid (even in a worst case scenario of getting swept by UNH and losing a semifinal). Historically BC has the most Lamoriello Trophies as well. So there really would be no pressure on them at all. Would there be pressure for the #1 seed in the league (assuming UNH gets it) to bring back some hardware that they rarely win? Probably. More than BC would be facing.
          The pressure is always on UNH to bring hardware home. The incoming recruits are just as aware of it as the fans; ask jerry pollastrone or james van riemsdyk, both of whom likely selected UNH in hopes of getting them their first title. The more time goes on though without taking hockey east or going deep into the tourny come april, the more I think 1999-2003 was "unusual".

          I talked to a kid who played in tournaments with Colby Cohen of BU and asked him what the appeal of BU and BC were. What I was told was that those are the colleges you go to if you want to play in the NHL. UNH is widely respected in the hockey community, but is not generally accepted as an NHL route like the aforementioned schools are. C'est la vie.
          "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

          -Herodotus

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

            Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
            looks like he had an assist on the empty net goal last night but he's been scoring consistently all year long, just a dry spell in october when the whole team started off slowly

            Seeing your post made me look at the box score...Bobby Butler will have to be a serious contender for the Hobey....he is now getting assists while not even on the ice.

            I thought only Darren Haydar could do that

            http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...m.htm#GAME.BOX
            Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

              Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
              Seeing your post made me look at the box score...Bobby Butler will have to be a serious contender for the Hobey....he is now getting assists while not even on the ice.

              I thought only Darren Haydar could do that

              http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...m.htm#GAME.BOX
              well, i wasn't there so i don't know but they did credit him with an assist, strange
              *****

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
                Seeing your post made me look at the box score...Bobby Butler will have to be a serious contender for the Hobey....he is now getting assists while not even on the ice.

                I thought only Darren Haydar could do that

                http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...m.htm#GAME.BOX
                I'd go look at the archive of the web video, but would only get motion sickness from that awfulness

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                  Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
                  Seeing your post made me look at the box score...Bobby Butler will have to be a serious contender for the Hobey....he is now getting assists while not even on the ice.

                  I thought only Darren Haydar could do that

                  http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...m.htm#GAME.BOX
                  He was on the ice, and did get a legit assist on that eng, btw

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                    I'm glad that's cleared up
                    *****

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                      Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                      He was on the ice, and did get a legit assist on that eng, btw
                      I was just going from the box score.....I know he was paired with Leblanc for some shifts in the 3rd period.
                      Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                        I love how we have an enormous series in just a few days and the entire discussion is about the hypothetical matchup in the HEA Semi's/ Finals, and who would be facing more "pressure."
                        There is so much to be decided in the coming weekend, including the regular season title and matchups in the quarters based upon placement. Coach York has made no secret of wanting a share (or more) of that regular season title, and I'm sure the coaches and players are focused on that.
                        So I'd love to hear from UNH fans and viewers (not having had a chance to see them much myself); how do you like your team THIS weekend? Strengths/ Weaknesses?
                        And BC folks (in which I count myself); Who starts in net? How does our D look (that question below got interrupted by the "pressure" tangent)? What are the pairings? Offense is our stronger suit, but what did UMass do to stem that, and can UNH replicate it?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                          Originally posted by Bryan MacAvoy View Post
                          I love how we have an enormous series in just a few days and the entire discussion is about the hypothetical matchup in the HEA Semi's/ Finals, and who would be facing more "pressure."
                          There is so much to be decided in the coming weekend, including the regular season title and matchups in the quarters based upon placement. Coach York has made no secret of wanting a share (or more) of that regular season title, and I'm sure the coaches and players are focused on that.
                          So I'd love to hear from UNH fans and viewers (not having had a chance to see them much myself); how do you like your team THIS weekend? Strengths/ Weaknesses?
                          And BC folks (in which I count myself); Who starts in net? How does our D look (that question below got interrupted by the "pressure" tangent)? What are the pairings? Offense is our stronger suit, but what did UMass do to stem that, and can UNH replicate it?

                          For UNH:

                          Last couple weeks they have played incomplete games. Example 1) allow 22 NU shots through 2 periods and 3 in the 3rd, Example 2) dominating UVM in the Sat night game in the 1st and then looking like garbage in the 2nd before comming back to just squeek out a tie in the 3rd.

                          Foster has been standing on his head when the D has been lack luster. Keeping UNH in games until they have there 1 good period.

                          Lazy play with the puck and poor turn overs against 1-2-2 trapping teams, this has the offense off track.

                          But hey they took 6 of the last 8 points up for grabs (2-0-2) against a hot NU and a UVM team that looks like they might miss the H.E. playoffs but be a bubble NCAA team?!?.

                          Lastly two year long constants. 1) This UNH team does not quit. 2) No lead is safe (for either team).
                          Last edited by JB; 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM.
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                            Originally posted by JB View Post
                            Lastly two year long constants. 1) This UNH team does quit. 2) No lead is safe (for either team).
                            Did you mean this UNH team does not quit? I hope so . . .

                            I'll only add that UNH has not yet lost in league play at the Whitt, a trend I feel moderately confident will continue Friday night. BC's good, but I think UNH's offense will work better against them than it has in recent weeks. I haven't seen them this year, but the Eagles are typically a team that can really skate with UNH, one of few who consistently can on the big ice; in turn I believe that'll lead to UNH's quick transition game actually working, as opposed to being stymied.

                            I'd rather not face BC again in the tournament, if we make it beyond QF's.
                            I haven't been on here in a year...
                            Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                              Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                              The more time goes on though without taking hockey east or going deep into the tourny come april, the more I think 1999-2003 was "unusual".
                              Do not forget 1998 at the Garden FF, which I believe was our best shot at a title.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: New Hampshire vs. Boston College - March 5/6

                                Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                                Did you mean this UNH team does not quit? I hope so . . .
                                Yup sorry about that - fixed it.

                                That is a big difference over some past UNH teams that would just toss in the towel. I think it was coming back again UND last year in the NCAAs that did it. I hope that becomes some level for program knowledge because it is nice to see.

                                Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                                I'll only add that UNH has not yet lost in league play at the Whitt, a trend I feel moderately confident will continue Friday night. BC's good, but I think UNH's offense will work better against them than it has in recent weeks. I haven't seen them this year, but the Eagles are typically a team that can really skate with UNH, one of few who consistently can on the big ice; in turn I believe that'll lead to UNH's quick transition game actually working, as opposed to being stymied.

                                I'd rather not face BC again in the tournament, if we make it beyond QF's.
                                I really like the games against BC. I had to be away for the November game so I missed it. Bummer! BC in general does not trap. So the game is up a down and fun to watch.

                                The lone exception I can think of was a H.E. game in Boston UNH up 4-0 (maybe 4-1) B.C. clearly couldn't skate with UNH. BC switched to the trap against a UNH team that was clueless about beating a trap. BC wins, it worked so well BC doesn't come out of the trap the rest of the year and wins it all, 2 years ago.

                                This years UNH team can beat a basic trap. There are somethings UVM did 2 weeks ago that caused UNH fits, NU picked up on it and did the same (helped that one of UNH better puck moving D was out). My hunch is UNH has been working on fixing this hole and seemed to get it worked out in the 3rd Saturday night.

                                Does B.C. trap this year?
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X