Comment

Re: ECAC Pick the Playoffs 2010

St. Lawrence 2-1
            RPI 2-0
            Quinnipiac 2-0
            Princeton 2-1

Cornell
            Cornell University '06

"I've been to football games in Texas when there are 100,000 people and they're not as loud as the people that fit in this rink." - Dave McKee

Comment

Brian Sullivan USCHO

SLU 2-1
              RPI 2-0
              Quinny 2-0
              Prinny 2-1
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

13 hours to go:

Winner 2-0 2-1
                SLU 61 22 39
                Clark 13 0 13

RPI 70 57 13
                Brown 4 0 4

Quinni 52 17 35
                Dartm 22 4 18

Prince 60 24 36
                Harvard 14 2 12
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Finally got around to doing some tallying.

Since 1983, when the ECAC first introduced multi-game series for the playoffs, there have been 137 total series. Of those, 98 (72%) have been decided in two games, but this does include several of those ghastly first-to-three-points series, which clearly made "sweeps" much more likely. That means that only 39 series (28%) have gone past game 2, either to the (even stupider) mini-game or to a full game 3.

The trend has distinctly changed, though. 21 of those 39 extended series have occurred since 2003, when the first two rounds became 3-game series. That's 38% of the 56 series that have occurred since 2003. This makes sense, because in the first round the teams are more evenly matched now (all in the bottom 8) while in the 2nd round even if the lower-seeded team isn't that good, at least it has some momentum going for it from the first round. Still, in a typical year, we're only seeing ~3 game 3's, spread between the rounds. 2008 was an anomaly, with 5 of the 8 series going to a game 3.

And yet, of with 74 people picking 4 series (296 total picks), we've collectively made 170 picks (57%) for game 3's!
                  Last edited by LynahFan; 03-05-2010, 05:43 AM.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

SLU 2-0 Team Gate
                    RPI 2-0
                    Q-Pac 2-1
                    Princeton 2-1
                    Last edited by sshablak; 03-05-2010, 06:11 AM.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Re: ECAC Pick the Playoffs 2010

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      And yet, of with 74 people picking 4 series (296 total picks), we've collectively made 170 picks (57%) for game 3's!
                      Subconsciously, some of my thought process is that you're guaranteed a point if you pick the series to go to three games. Can't talk about anyone else's thought process, but I know that at least creeps into mine. I guess I'm just hedging my bets trying to get more points than I got last year (a dismal 2).
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Clarkson 2-1
                        RPI 2-1
                        Dartmouth 2-1
                        Princeton 2-1

The North Country Teams. OK SLU

Comment

St. Lawrence 2-0
                          RPI 2-1
                          Dartmouth 2-1
                          Harvard 2-1
                          RPI Class of 2012
                          Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            Subconsciously, some of my thought process is that you're guaranteed a point if you pick the series to go to three games.
                            Heh. I never really paid attention to the scoring system before. I'm not sure your hedging strategy really works, though. Given the historical unlikelihood of game 3s, you're going to end up losing more points by turning potential 4-pointers into 3s than you're going to gain by turning 0s into 1s.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

vicb said, "1 contestant Ltsatch did not put down a team"

Pretty sure he is Yale.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Heh. I never really paid attention to the scoring system before. I'm not sure your hedging strategy really works, though. Given the historical unlikelihood of game 3s, you're going to end up losing more points by turning potential 4-pointers into 3s than you're going to gain by turning 0s into 1s.
                                There are 4 possible outcomes to every series, and each is equally likely to happen, assuming random outcomes. The long run situation will be that you pick the same option for all four games (home in 2, visitor in 3, etc.), and all 4 possibilities happen (home wins in 2, home wins in 3, visitor wins in 2, visitor wins in 3). If you pick a sweep in the long run, you will receive 8 points, or an average of 2 points per series (you'd get 4, 3, 1, and 0). If you pick a 3-game series in the long run, you will receive 10 points, or an average of 2.5 points per series (you'd get 4, 3, 2, and 1). Therefore statistically, burgie12's hedging strategy is more profittable. Now obviously the beauty of betting is we are playing the short run, and anything can happen. If this were a 5,000 series tournament, I'd take burgie's strategy any day. But with only 8 series, play your heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X