• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    Canada?!?!

Would this mid-season replacement essentially be to replace Lofquit's spot?
    I would assume so. It certainly was an "unexpected" opening and they could use someone.

They don't have an easy schedule after the Holiday Classic, and I don't think Cepis is going to save them so if I'm a betting man it's the road for the first round and no NCAA berth.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    GPotulny was in Canada and Hill was in the USHL hunting for a mid-season defensemen pick up.
    Canada?!?!

Would this mid-season replacement essentially be to replace Lofquit's spot?

Leave a comment:

• HoosierBBall_GopherHockey
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Looking forward to a fun and enjoyable season.
    Still waiting.

Leave a comment:

• gophers79
    replied

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    I asked on GPL and haven't heard anything so I will ask here.

Did anyone else hear Wooger talk about bringing in a D after the break? It caught me by surprise when he brought it up and he didn't go into detail at all.
    Nobody seems to know anything about this on either site, and nobody even seems to want to comment on it. Weird. I hope they bring in another guy, it'd do wonders to the depth at D (7 guys deep for 6 spots isn't too great...)

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Did anyone else hear Wooger talk about bringing in a D after the break? It caught me by surprise when he brought it up and he didn't go into detail at all.
    Read Hammy's blog. GPotulny was in Canada and Hill was in the USHL hunting for a mid-season defensemen pick up.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

I heard it too. I have it on DVR also. Might just be a rumor. Maybe they talked to a USHL or NAHL d-man about it.

Leave a comment:

• Driftryder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Driftryder
    replied

Preview from Gophersports

Minnesota (6-9-1, 4-7-1) at Michigan Tech (3-11, 2-10)
    Date: Friday-Saturday, Dec. 11-12
    Time: 6 p.m. (Central time)
    Series History: Minnesota leads 165-76-15
    Radio: KYCR 1570 AM - Fri. / WCCO 830 AM -Sat. - Wally Shaver and Glen Sonmor
    Television: none
    Live Web Streaming: michigantechhuskies.com

Minnesota concludes the first half of its season with a two-game series at Michigan Tech this weekend. The Gophers have split their past two weekend series and play their final two road games before playing six straight home games after the holiday break. It is the only meetings between the Gophers and the Huskies this season.

Last Time Out
    Minnesota bounced back for a 6-2 win at Minnesota State on Saturday after a 3-1 home loss the previous night. Josh Birkholz scored his first two career goals and Nick Leddy added his first career goal in a three-goal first period. Taylor Matson, Patrick White and Nico Sacchetti also each scored in the victory. Alex Kangas made 20 saves in Saturday's win, while Kent Patterson had a career-high 39 saves in Friday's loss.

Series History
    Minnesota leads the all-time series 165-75-15 and is 9-3-2 in the last 14 meetings. The Gophers are 10-1-3 in their last 14 games at Michigan Tech with the only loss being a 6-5 overtime setback last season. In fact, Don Lucia is 18-3-6 all-time at MacInnes Arena with his only other two losses coming in 1990 as the head coach at Alaska-Fairbanks. Alex Kangas shutout the Huskies twice last year with a 3-0 win at home and a 2-0 win in Houghton.

About the Huskies
    Michigan Tech brings a five-game losing streak into the weekend after losing at Wisconsin 8-2 and 6-0 last weekend. All five of the games during the streak have been on the road as the Huskies are playing their first home games since Nov. 6-7. The Huskies have conference wins over St. Cloud State at home and at Minnesota Duluth, but have scored two goals or less in eight of their last 10 games. They have been outscored 30-7 during their current losing streak and rank last nationally in scoring defense, allowing 4.43 goals per game. Michigan Tech has especially struggled on the penalty kill as opponents have scored at a 37.8 percent rate, which is the highest in the country. The Huskies' opponents have 34 power play goals in 90 chances. Sophomore Brett Olson is off to a strong start with seven goals and eight assists for 15 points. Senior Malcom Gwillam, who missed most of last season, has put up six goals and six assists for 12 points in his return. The Huskies have primarily turned to a freshman goaltender as Kevin Genoe has a 3.86 goals against average and .896 save percentage while playing in 11 of the team's 14 games.

First-Timers
    Three Minnesota players recorded their first goals of the season in Saturday's win at Minnesota State, including two freshmen who notched their first career goals. Josh Birkholz scored twice in the first period and Nick Leddy also tallied a first period goal as the Gophers jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Sophomore Taylor Matson collected his second career goal and first of the year in the third period.

Birkholz Breaks Out
    In addition to his first two goals, freshman forward Josh Birkholz led the Gophers with eight shots on goal in the series with Minnesota State. Not included in that total were two solid chances in the third period of Friday's loss when he put a shot off the side of the cage after splitting two defenders and when he ripped a shot off the crossbar late in the game

Leddy Returns
    Freshman defenseman Nick Leddy's first goal came in his second game back to the lineup after missing the previous nine games with a broken jaw. Leddy also played Friday night and has now appeared in seven games this season. He has not committed a penalty yet this year.

Encore Performance
    Sophomore goaltender Kent Patterson finished with a career high in saves for the second straight game in Friday's 3-1 loss. Patterson totaled 39 saves in the defeat. He had 37 saves in his previous start against Michigan State. Over the past two starts, Patterson has stopped 76 of 79 shots for a .962 save percentage. He allowed four goals on 10 shots in his previous outing in relief against Bemidji State on Nov. 15.

Kangas Comes Back
    Junior goaltender Alex Kangas also bounced back from a tough outing against Michigan with 20 saves in Saturday's 6-2 win at Minnesota State. Kangas now has a 2.75 goals against average and .911 save percentage for the season. It marked the first time Kangas did not play in consecutive games since Dec. 1 and 7, 2007 against Michigan Tech and North Dakota

Strength of Schedule
    Minnesota's first eight opponents this season have a combined record of 76-47-11 for an impressive .608 winning percentage. Six of the eight teams are ranked in this week's national poll and three of them are among the nation's top four teams. The schedule does lighten up, however. Starting last weekend, Minnesota's opponents over and eight-game span (including all three teams in the Dodge Holiday Classic) have a combined record of 23-54-11 for a .324 winning percentage. Prior to last week's series with Minnesota State, the Gophers' only opponent with a losing record was Alaska Anchorage

Limited Chances
    Minnesota has not scored on the power play over the past four games, but the Gophers' chances have been limited. The Gophers have had just five power play chances over the past three games. They had only one power play opportunity in consecutive games against Michigan State and Minnesota State with each coming in the first three minutes of the game. Minnesota is 0-for-12 on the power play over the past two weekends after scoring on the man-advantage in six of its previous seven games. The Gophers were 8-for-29 (27.6 percent) over that span. Their 66 power play chances for the season are the fewest of any WCHA team.

Late Game Lockdown
    Entering the third period of Saturday's game with a one-goal lead, the Gophers held Minnesota State to just three shots on goal in the final period, matching the lowest they've held an opponent in a period this season. Alaska Anchorage had three shots in the first period on Oct. 30. Minnesota also added three goals of its own to finish off the victory.

Hansen Heating Up
    Sophomore Jake Hansen notched his third goal in a six-game span with his first period score on Friday. With an assist during that stretch, Hansen scored points in four of the six games. Oddly, all four games that Hansen has scored have resulted in Gopher losses. Minnesota has been shutout in four of its other five defeats.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Can someone help me to understand why Lucia needs to continually emphasize this? They're not walk-ons. He recruited them, so who's at fault? Frustrating.
    I don't have the problem with Lucia's statements that you seem to have. First, different players have different ways to be motivated and I think more of that is taking place in practice and at games than Lucia is hoping to accomplish with an occasional statement in the paper. Second, most players at this level will have a pretty good ego. Some will be more motivated by being told they aren't playing good than by just saying 'you are great but just need to play a little harder'. You seem to have implied a concern for how these statements would affect team confidence. I would argue that the only way to improve team confidence is by improving the play of enough players that the team starts getting wins, holding leads, and coming from behind (playing consistent hockey for 60 minutes) not from what a coach says. I agree this team lacks confidence. But the coach has to work at the individual player level to get them to play harder. To do this, he needs to tell each one to work harder. If the player races an opponent into the corner for a loose puck and lacks confidence, he might take a defensive posture to set himself up to defend against the opposing player once he grabs the puck, figuring, he has to at least stop that player from doing anything. (But isn't confident enough to think he can take it beat the player to the puck and come out in control.) If he keeps hearing that he needs to hustle more and try harder and good things will come, he might just be thinking about that message going into the corner and just push himself despite his lack of confidence. If that keeps happening all over the ice, the team will do better. (Ok, so I don't know if I am clearly expressing what I am thinking or not.)

I guess what I am trying to say is that the focus of a coaches message should be to get the team to work harder, rather than try to make them more confident. Confidence will only come with the results of harder work. And confidence will help to get them working harder in turn, but I think you need to start with the work ethic. (Bemidji State wasn't more talented than some of those teams they beat in the NCAA in my mind, but they were the better team because of how hard they worked. This is often the difference between the NC and the rest.)

Leave a comment:

• HoosierBBall_GopherHockey
    replied

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    You could name the new thread,

"Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 Last in the old WCHA"
    If we get swept by Michigan Tech this weekend, I'll consider it.

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

Originally posted by Yager View Post
    Close this thread or the dog gets it

*****http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/kill%20this%20dog.jpg******
    You could name the new thread,

"Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 Last in the old WCHA"

Leave a comment:

• Yager
    replied

Close this thread or the dog gets it

*****http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/kill%20this%20dog.jpg******

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Can someone help me to understand why Lucia needs to continually emphasize this? They're not walk-ons. He recruited them, so who's at fault? Frustrating.
    Lucia is starting to feel the heat.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Lucia said. "We are not scoring enough. We are not loaded with a bunch of all-league players."

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Schroeder was supposed to be the best forward. MIA.
    Fairchild was supposed to be the best offensive defensemen. MIA.

The seniors were supposed to carry the team. MIA.

Frankly the freshmen class might be the best group on the ice right now. That bodes well for the future (if they stick around, which lately isn't likely) but does nothing for this year.
    Check out the caption under the pic on the Trib article on the game last night. Birkholz is himself and Schroeder combined!

EDIT:

"This group has to be a lunchpail group," Gophers coach Don Lucia said.
    Translation: We need to pack more than Twinkies.
    Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X