X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeeterman
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Last year of the old WCHA, and most likely the last year of old Don Lou Chia Pet.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSiouxFan
    replied

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Make the NHL team promise you that you'll be invited to camp with a real shot at making the big club or stay in college (Bozak, Stastny & Carle). So far its working pretty well.
    Also I suspect at those camps players have a chance to talk to other players that were upperclassmen in college, to find out how the pros compares to college as far as player development.

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    So, you kind of lucked out with Ruegs and Rakshani then. Great college players that don't necessarily translate to the pro game well so they stay. Gopher players that have stayed haven't turned out to be great college players and the ones that are great float right into the NHL right away. Kind of a tight rope you have to walk as a coach nowadays.
    DU has worked hard to show players that leaving college early to go to the AHL is no bargain. Guys who left early for the AHL never it made the NHL (Skinner, Dingle, Paukovich).

Make the NHL team promise you that you'll be invited to camp with a real shot at making the big club or stay in college (Bozak, Stastny & Carle). So far its working pretty well.

And I suspect that DU has convinced the NHL teams that their prospects are getting great coaching, strength training and development at DU at no cost to the team.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 10-28-2009, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Then of course there is the year they lost to UND out in Denver cause Frazee can't cover a wrap around to save his life.
    Don't forget about Erik Johnson being lazy as hell on that play as well.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    I realize it seems like ancient history now, but Leopold was one to stay another year. And while it didn't pay off the way we are talking and he was only a Soph (but played like a Senior), Vanek could have left a year earlier than he did. So it isn't like Gophers have never benefited from guys staying longer than they had to (just not in the past few years). Getting lucky in which recruits (often signed a couple years before they'll even play) continue to develop and which blue-chippers stay longer has such a big part in how a team turns out these days, I don't see how people can put it all on the coaches. Luck in these areas seems to play a bigger part than it did just 10 years ago.
    Well, I think that's what I was saying to Puck Swami is Denver is lined up pretty well for this year based on a little luck.

Vanek did stay another year and that NCAA tourney was disappointing cause I thought they had the horses to go all the way but they ran into a pretty darn good tUMD team. The other year they screwed up was the infamous Holy Cross year as they had it lined up pretty well that year too, although if they had won that they would have met UND in their own barn.

Then of course there is the year they lost to UND out in Denver cause Frazee can't cover a wrap around to save his life.

{sigh} Now I'm depressed again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X