This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

I liked the implication that Eidsness wears bigger skibbies myself.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      So, what changed then from freshmen to sophmore year with Kangas? Or was his positioning always the same and he just got lucky (was more athletic) his freshmen year?

Pixie Dust? That's a new one.

Players play over there ability all the time. Also, players screw there season by getting in their own heads. I think this year will be a good indicator if it was the former or latter. I wouldn't say I was blown away by his game (I was blown away by his performance) his freshman year, but it was a heck of a lot better then last year. Just too many times where he was playing the pass and out of position, or off balance and on his heels. Numerous short side goals through the year are a great indicator on where a goal is mentally, and that's the biggest layman's indicator right there. I don't care if it's Wayne Gretzky, T.J. Oshie, or Bobby freakin' Orre. It is physically impossible if you are a) over three feet tall and b) in the correct position to score a short side goal--and that's a fact.
      Last edited by 61ache; 09-23-2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 61ache View Post
        Players play over there ability all the time. I think this year will be a good indicator if that's the case or if last year was just a struggle. I wouldn't say I was blown away by his game (I was blown away by his performance) his freshman year, but it was a heck of a lot better then last year.
        I guess we'll have to see then. He was pretty highly touted coming in and certainly has shown more than Frazee did.

Mike Lee better live up to the hype.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It’s a weird (uneducated?) analysis of Kangas considering he was never known for making the spectacular save his freshman year and iirc, the discussion of his play revolved around the belief that he was typically in position.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            It’s a weird (uneducated?) analysis of Kangas considering he was never known for making the spectacular save his freshman year and iirc, the discussion of his play revolved around the belief that he was typically in position.
            Now that you mention it that's what I remember as well. Seems to me that a lot of goaltending comes down to how often your defense hangs you out to dry. Many a time last year I remember Kangas making the first save and there was no one clearing out the rebound.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Well it's my opinion take it for what it's worth. I'm not going to label myself as "the expert"--I'll let other guys do that. I've worked with some guys and picked up a thing or two and that's the extent of that

Comment

Mike Lee better live up to the hype.
                Indeed.

He's supposed to bring SCSU their first national title, isn't he?
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                  Indeed.

Well, I thought BOBBY!!@#$#@@!@!!!! was supposed to win them an NCAA game but that has been poo-pooed by the fans with the "he didn't have the horses in front of him excuse". So......................who the heck knows?

All I do know is Mike Lee is hyped to the max.

Comment

Well, I thought BOBBY!!@#$#@@!@!!!! was supposed to win them an NCAA game but that has been poo-pooed by the fans with the "he didn't have the horses in front of him excuse". So......................who the heck knows?

I've seen this kid play many times and he's the real deal. Cool customer that never tries to do too much. Steady Eddie.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by 61ache View Post
                      Here's my opinion on Kangas. The only thing I have to credit my opinion is having played the position and learning from some of the best. You can brake down SV% and GA all you want, and in a large enough sample it might actually mean something. Between the pipes, every game is different, every bounce is different, and SV% might as well be underwear size for all it matters in 36 appearances over a single season--this isn't baseball this is hockey.

The big knock I've had against Kangas over the years and why I absolutely love Mike Lee is positioning. You can't stop the shot if you're not in a position to make the play. Stand on your head all day long, turn the lights out, put up the brick wall, but sooner or later that foundation will fall apart if you're not in a position to make the play. Last year I heard Woog and that other idiot on FSN (don't even want to utter his name...rhymes with either nepotism or miss taco, can't remember) kept talking about a return to the form Kangas had a year ago, like some sort of magically pixie dust could be sprinkled on him and viola playoff Kangas. Meanwhile, fundamentally, not much changed in his game over the year--Kangas found himself out of position, on his heals, over committed, off balance, etc. Sure, diving, rolling, upside down saves are great, but if you play your position with your head you don't really ever need to do that very often.

But then again, my opinion's not worth much, so there you go.
                      I don't remember Kangas as having a positioning problem freshman year. I don't feel like he positioned himself as well last year, and I credit that to perhaps a reduced confidence, probably due to exceptional expectations placed on him. He did seem to be on his heels more last year (which is can also be from less confidence in the D corp in front of you so you think you have to cover all possibilities) than his freshman year. His freshman year, especially in the playoff run, I remember him sitting tight several times and minimizing the rebound allowed, only making an occasional acrobatic save when there was a breakdown somewhere on defense (failure to clear puck, etc.). I don't claim to have a perfect memory, but my memory is one of feeling confident in Kangas over Frazee because he was so much better positionally.

And the implication you seemed to be making in the second post that he way overplayed his ability in his freshman year is something I disagree on. I don't think a drop in performance in the next season is necessarily an indication that a goalies isn't as good as they are touted to be. Sure, things went well for him at the end of the year with the Gopher's defensive play solidifying and getting some bounces to help his numbers. I think many things went equally wrong last year to give him numbers below his ability (as opposed to last year's numbers being the "real Kangas"). I guess I would also have to ask, are Bachman and Muse just run-of-the-mill goalies too, who just way overplayed their abilities in their freshman year?

I'm not expecting Kangas to be the next Stauber. I just think you aren't giving him enough credit. Only time will tell. (Oh yeah, and I don't remember Kangas playing a viola in the playoffs!?)

Comment

Indeed.

How about starting with first NCAA win?

Comment

It was nice of Weslosky to leave SCSU to give Lee the chance to shine early, breaking him in as a frosh.

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          How about starting with first NCAA win?
                          Yes, baby steps.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Indeed.

I am no expert, but Dean Blais sure seems to be one. It should be a fun season finding out how good this kid really is.
                            I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

There are great college goalies and there a very small number of special goalies - anywhere, but certainly coming through the college ranks.

Jon Casey was a special goalie coming into college and turned out to be kind of special all the way. Karl Goehring was considered a special goalie coming into college and he turned out to be special in college and, I believe, as a pro in that all he does is stop pucks and win games. Alex Stalock had a special unique quality to his game, namely puckhandling, and was pretty darn good at stopping pucks, too. He was pretty special in college and we'll see how far his unique abilities take him.

Bobby Geopfert was a great college goalie. I thought Brian Leitza, from right here in Chicagoland, was a great college goalie.

Mike Lee has been special every step of the way so far. On a mighty big stage, he was pretty darn good at the recent WJC camp. He might just take St. Cloud State places it hasn't gone before, maybe even a game-winners' celebration following an NCAA Tournament game.

Comment

Mike Lee is going to be terrible this year. I guarantee it. Because he is my goalie in a fantasy league.
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X