Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denver comes to Mankato - 2/26-27

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Well, I thought the Mavericks played pretty darn well tonight, and it wasn't good enough. Congratulations Pioneers. See you tomorrow night.
    It was a very good effort by MSU tonight. Nice to see, I guess, but it's incredibly frustrating that a couple guys waited until they started seeing the end of the road with their college careers to do that rather than playing like that when the games actually mattered.

Each team got an extra two powerplays on really soft penalty calls. DU was good enough to execute on two on them, and MSU couldn't do much with their chances. I'm the last guy to yell "Shoot out" on a powerplay, but the guys at the top of the powerplay are way too tentative to fire a puck low and hope something good comes out of it. Too often they get the puck up there, and try to take a quick look around and by that time, the guy on the PK has closed out on him and taken away that option. Their best powerplay chance of the night came in the third period when Youds fired a low wrister and a rebound popped onto Galiardi's stick for a great chance. I don't know if guys are tentative because they're afraid to make a mistake and turn the puck over or what, but I've seen enough of this team to know that relying on tape-to-tape passing isn't an option.

We'll see what Saturday's effort is like. After DU's third goal, they may as well have gone to a running clock to just get the game over with. Everyone knew there was no chance of MSU scoring two more goals. The team quit playing and most of the fans left. It was a really depressing atmosphere.

Also, random, but why would a restaurant whose only location is in the MSU Student Union hand out free sandwiches everywhere BUT the student section. Genius marketing.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      After DU's third goal, they may as well have gone to a running clock to just get the game over with. Everyone knew there was no chance of MSU scoring two more goals. The team quit playing and most of the fans left. It was a really depressing atmosphere.
      The moment it went in, I turned to my friend next to me and said "game over." There was no way in hell the Mavs were going to score two to tie, much less three to win.

Also, random, but why would a restaurant whose only location is in the MSU Student Union hand out free sandwiches everywhere BUT the student section. Genius marketing.
      Since you misused the term "random," I'll point out that perhaps they select the sections in the correct sense of the term random.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
        Joe Colborne. Jumbo is his nickname on the team.
        Thank you, I hadn't heard that one!
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Does Denver clinch the McNaughton if they win or tie tonight? According to my calculations, they do. C'mon, MSU. Win one for the gipper.
          Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
            Does Denver clinch the McNaughton if they win or tie tonight? According to my calculations, they do. C'mon, MSU. Win one for the gipper.
            Confirmed. 40 points will bring home the regular season crown this year. If DU wins tonight, they will have those 40 points.
            Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
            Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Speaking of 'STUDENT SECTION'... Anybody else getting sick and tired of watching that end of the ice empty out of the arena every time we're behind in the third period???

Worst overall attendance numbers in four years, and the students are sucking the life out of the place like I have never seen before.

Sad.

Maybe we can win a big game tonite... I'll be there... from START TO FINISH.
              "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month."
              - Herb Brooks (1937-2003)

Minnesota State University. "You Betcha"!

Comment

Congratulations, DU Pioneers for your MacNaughton cup victory!

I didn't see any of the game and haven't read a journalistic recap (only some updates via text and a brief scoring update skim). I hope it was a [relatively] clean game. I see the Mavs took it to the last possible second, as they should in Mankato , but good on you for making it happen.

I really like the program that Gwozdecky has put together there. Great guy, too, with the limited time I've met him (~5 minutes in the Holiday Inn Mankato).

I'll be at the F5 in St. Paul, see you there!
                Last edited by redheadzeb; 02-27-2010, 10:29 PM.
                Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
                Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

This "close, but not quite enough" is just starting to suck the life out of me. I predict we're going to start seeing a decline in the average attendance next year, after a steady increase to fairly respectable numbers.

Good luck the rest of the way, Denver.
                  My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

You need to win to put people in the seats. I enjoyed the game tonight and thought that the student section would empty out when it was 3-1 but the Mavs tied it before the third and kept that from happening. When I was a student you had to get to the game an hour early to get a good seat and we would stay till the end. Now it's fashionably late and they take off if we're not winning in the third. Maybe I just haven't noticed but is it often that the Mavs three stars don't come out if we lose? If that's the case why bother to pick any stars. Those of us that stay applaud the effort but I don't like clapping for the cheerleaders standing out of the ice. And I must say the senior salute was all kinds of weak, two guys! Come on, this year has unraveled to its end. hopefully next year will be something different.

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                      You need to win to put people in the seats. I enjoyed the game tonight and thought that the student section would empty out when it was 3-1 but the Mavs tied it before the third and kept that from happening. When I was a student you had to get to the game an hour early to get a good seat and we would stay till the end. Now it's fashionably late and they take off if we're not winning in the third. Maybe I just haven't noticed but is it often that the Mavs three stars don't come out if we lose? If that's the case why bother to pick any stars. Those of us that stay applaud the effort but I don't like clapping for the cheerleaders standing out of the ice. And I must say the senior salute was all kinds of weak, two guys! Come on, this year has unraveled to its end. hopefully next year will be something different.
                      You guys aren't the only one with the late arrival problem. We understand your plight.
                      University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                      Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                        Maybe I just haven't noticed but is it often that the Mavs three stars don't come out if we lose?
                        No, I've never seen that happen that I can remember. But I can understand it. I always stay for the three stars, and tonight I was just too depressed, and left immediately, so I didn't know they didn't come out. I imagine they felt way worse than I did.

Comment

We say this every year, but the WCHA is the toughest conference in all of major college sports. Gwoz said "you couldn't tell the difference between team #1 and team #9", and that's a high compliment to the Mavs and the way they played this weekend.

I'd like to say that Denver was lucky to win both games, and in some ways, they were. But at the end of the day, Denver had a few difference-makers on the ice that were able to push the Pioneers into victories, and that's why Denver escaped with a sweep, and for that matter, the MacNaughton Cup.

Comment

Thanks to everyone we met....It was a great time in Mankato this weekend.....
                            Yearly College Hockey Trips
                            St. Cloud - Best Bar (Red Carpet)
                            North Dakota - First Jägerbomb
                            Northern Michigan - Friendliest Hockey Fans (tink-tink-ta-tink)
                            Michigan Tech - Best Ice Sculptures
                            Mankato - Denver wins the cup in OT
                            Nebraska-Omaha - Biggest Weiner
                            Bemidji State - Best Beaver Tour
                            Duluth - Sandman KO'd but wins on a DQ
                            St. Cloud - Great Band
                            Northern Michigan - She gave my beads back

Comment

Originally posted by UnWanted22 View Post
                              Thanks to everyone we met....It was a great time in Mankato this weekend.....
                              Talked to you in the concourse between periods.

You are welcome.

PS: You should make an effort to find a Maverick to join your bunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X