Michigan State 2009-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Johnston

Here is what's been pieced together, here's what happened Friday night.

Senior forward Justin Johnston - a healthy scratch for every game this season - quit the team on the morning of Senior Night at Munn. He cleaned out his locker without talking to anyone associated with the team.

It is reported that he arrived at that decision when he looked at the lineup for the night's game and saw he was not included.

That night a few copies of an anonymous letter were circulated through the arena. Here is the text of the letter.

Apparently, coach Comley was to have allowed him to dress with the team and skate the ceremony.

Here is what Comley said on the situation:
    “Today, when I came into the rink, he cleared out his locker,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said. “I was going to dress him for the warm up and have him go through (the ceremony). That’s all I can tell you. He didn’t talk to any players or staff.”

What do you think Comley should have done, if his was not the correct course of action? Anybody who's not necessarily a Spartan fan feel free to respond.

Comment

• Re: Michigan State 2009-2010

IMO Comley did what he was supposed to do it. Put the best lineup on the ice in a game that had serious implications. This is a major D1 program not house hockey anymore.

I can understand the parents/kid being upset but what they did is utterly classless. They should be embarrassed for themselves and apologize to the coaches and (ex)teammates.

I remember watching senior in 2001 I think it was. The Spartans had an amazing year with very few losses and had everything wrapped up. Other than the fact is was against UM, the game result would have not changed anything. Joe Blackburn (the former starter and All-American) was a senior that night and never touched the ice. Everyone in the entire rink expected him to play. His parents did not write a letter nor did he quit the team. As a matter of fact, he went on to be the GA for the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by JTWRJW View Post
        IMO Comley did what he was supposed to do it. Put the best lineup on the ice in a game that had serious implications. This is a major D1 program not house hockey anymore.

I can understand the parents/kid being upset but what they did is utterly classless. They should be embarrassed for themselves and apologize to the coaches and (ex)teammates.

I remember watching senior in 2001 I think it was. The Spartans had an amazing year with very few losses and had everything wrapped up. Other than the fact is was against UM, the game result would have not changed anything. Joe Blackburn (the former starter and All-American) was a senior that night and never touched the ice. Everyone in the entire rink expected him to play. His parents did not write a letter nor did he quit the team. As a matter of fact, he went on to be the GA for the next two years.
        Thank you for drawing on a similar situation involving a different coach. The fact that, unlike Senior night 2001, the Spartans had NOTHING wrapped up, makes what RC did (to me) even more appropriate.
        I suppose if there were one thing I would change if I were in RC's shoes, I would have told Johnston ahead of time (perhaps after the last practice) my intention. I would not have left it up to Johnston to come in, see the lineup and have the resulting misunderstanding.
        Last edited by owslachief; 03-01-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

The fact that any player from the hoby candidate to the 1st year walk-on would assume they have the right to dress bothers me. When asked why he played so hard in a blowout loss Anson Carter once said "because i'm afraid to lose my spot in the lineup." I'm sure Johnston's attitude prevented him from getting more looks.
          MICHIGAN STATE
          1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
            The fact that any player from the hoby candidate to the 1st year walk-on would assume they have the right to dress bothers me. When asked why he played so hard in a blowout loss Anson Carter once said "because i'm afraid to lose my spot in the lineup." I'm sure Johnston's attitude prevented him from getting more looks.
            Winner
            Pronunciation: \ˈwi-nər\
            Function: noun
            a: one that wins; b: Anson Carter

Comment

I find it interesting that the letter was signed "The Freshman Class of 2006." I am assuming that Jarosz and Sprague were unaware of the situation, so does that mean Turek and Ratchuk were bitter about Johnston not dressing as well?
              No trees were harmed in the making of this post. A few electrons got excited though.

Comment

Originally posted by SpartyTAD View Post
                I find it interesting that the letter was signed "The Freshman Class of 2006." I am assuming that Jarosz and Sprague were unaware of the situation, so does that mean Turek and Ratchuk were bitter about Johnston not dressing as well?
                Ding! Ding! Ding!
                MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

So, who of the student persuasion is going to be at Munn next weekend during break?

I'd like to know whether the "student section" that the recent e-mail from athletics makes note of next weekend will consist of... um... well... just me, or me and others that aren't me.
                  Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Hey if the student section isn't there me and my brother will do some cheer starting as I have brought my new cow bell to the recent games... We sit right across from you guys Alan and always do most of the cheers... There are usually open seats so if you really wanted some back up just come over and sit by us as we are big fans of yours.

Comment

I would hope that if the series ends up being against Michigan, that MSU would be smart enough to set aside some tickets for students...but they wont becaue all their care about is making the most money possible and they will sell them for $20 and there will be no atmosphere.

/rant
                      MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

I hope they do finally get some sense and work hard to get that place sold out and full of hockey fans.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                          I hope they do finally get some sense and work hard to get that place sold out and full of hockey fans.
                          I have been very pleased with the crowds since the new year...i feel like people are starting to use their expendable income on trips to Munn. I am seeing a lot the same people more frequently which means people are liking what they see and coming back. I have been in section O literally since before I was born...aside from 4 season ticket holders in the row in front of us the entire area is all available. These seats have finally been filling up lately.

Now dont get me started on when they force us to move next season...
                          MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

My grandpa has had ten season tickets since before I was born.. Now my Dad, Mom, Brother, and his wife all sit in section F. Next year i will hopefully have my own season ticket/s. I have been fortunate enough to make it to all the home games this year and would like to continue.

On the fact that it is filling up this year..I agree but as section F and G are usually the tickets for the opposing team it is hard to tell around us because the only game where my section was truely full was the first U of M game.

Comment

My parents have had their seats for 27 years. 2 years ago we decided to start splitting the cost of them even though I usually attend all but a couple of the games. When we approached the ticket office about transferring the package to my name they told me they could not reassign those seats to me. What a friggin joke...it's not like people are lining up to sit in section O.

As a fan of hockey, and not just MSU hockey I have an appreciation for watching the play move up and down the ice from the end. It allows me to watch passing lanes open and close and follow developing neutral zone attacks. It is a great perspective of the game inside the game.

I am dead serious...if they try to tell me I have to move from Section O I will not be back next season. I have attended 75% of the home games over the last 20 years, and for them to try and control me like that is just stupid.It would be one thing if there was a demand for tickets, but there is none at this time.
                              Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM.
                              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

I couldn't agree more about the seat change... what a joke.. I would be mad if we had to move because i thoroughly enjoy yelling at the other team's fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X