Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CHA Thoughts and Prognostications: Year 11, The Finale... Part Deux

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    Long story short: Mark Byrne got cross checked in the back. While in the crease. In OT.
    Please read this with a large amount of bitterness for the full effect.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
      Long story short: Mark Byrne got cross checked in the back. While in the crease. In OT.
      But Durbin says he was pushed...

Mike and Geof, do you remember your first UAH game? I now remember mine was actually a 4-3 win over Tennessee in 1981. I distinctly remember one of the Zeek brothers in goal fending off a furious attack in the waning seconds. UT actually got the puck past him, but just after time had expired. As memory has it, they never looked back against the Vols again. Anyway, just curious to know your earliest UAH memory. So many great ones, I actually found my ticket to the Club Hockey Championships of 1984 last night while cleaning out my attic. Quite fond of the Chargers, needless to say.

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
        Mike and Geof, do you remember your first UAH game? I now remember mine was actually a 4-3 win over Tennessee in 1981. I distinctly remember one of the Zeek brothers in goal fending off a furious attack in the waning seconds. UT actually got the puck past him, but just after time had expired. As memory has it, they never looked back against the Vols again. Anyway, just curious to know your earliest UAH memory. So many great ones, I actually found my ticket to the Club Hockey Championships of 1984 last night while cleaning out my attic. Quite fond of the Chargers, needless to say.
        Sometime in 1997. Not really.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

... I remember well Gardner's getting away with the net push; ...
          I solved this one ... went right to the source. I talked to Gardsie about it on Saturday, he immediately said it was all legit the way the net got bumped off. End of story.
          GO PURPS!
          Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
            I solved this one ... went right to the source. I talked to Gardsie about it on Saturday, he immediately said it was all legit the way the net got bumped off. End of story.
            You know, it has occurred to me (as hard as it is to actually type this) that the Niagara victory paved the way for greater CHA respect (well, as much as it has gotten at least) throughout Division I. If Niagara were to have lost that game, it may have resulted in no at-large berth, which would have not led to Niagara's upset over New Hampshire (or, at least, it would have dropped Niagara further in the at-large pecking order to face a "harder" opponent?). By defeating UNH, it could be argued that the NCAA tournament deciders realized the viaibility of the non-Big 4 teams and thus gave credence to expanding the tournament to 16 teams with automatic berths for the "other" conferences. Or, maybe I'm still trying to find a silver lining...

I do remember well the next year's tournament when the von Braun faithful cheered on the Wayne State upstarts over Niagara in the semis. The Durbin goal in OT was monumental as it appeared that the Chargers (after humiliating Air Force 7-0) would reach the naturally assumed precipice of CHA dominance the next evening. That was definitely the worst letdown I ever had watching UAH; the only thing on par was the OT loss to Marquette some 16 years earlier in the conference tournament final. I still can't figure out how Wayne State's third goal was not noticed by the goal judge...

Of course, I think that was also the year Bemidji won just 4 games or so... ah, what sweet memories...

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
              Sure, sure. Actually, when they had to fix the ice at 15:29 of the second on Saturday, one of our fans saw the pegs that they use at the Dwyer to hold the nets in place and said, "Huh ... that looks like it'd work a lot better than what the VBC uses." And they're definitely right: looks like the VBC just has a divot under the net, which makes them pretty easy to dislodge.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

But Durbin says he was pushed...

No, I can honestly say that I do not remember the date or opponent of my first UAH hockey game. The first game I remember watching was when we played Army at home in 2000, the night before the cheerleader got tackled by some cadets, as I recall (wasn't there for that), thus ending the tradition of the running of the flag.

It was not until the 2000-01 season that I became an ardent fan.
                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                2006 Time Person of the Year
                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Yes, I remember our (Joyce and mine) first UAH Hockey games. It was the day after the Miracle on Ice. We saw that UAH was playing a team from Georgia and we went to it. I don't exactly remember the score but I do remember UAH drubbed them and it was exciting so we went again the next night. Same two teams the next night with a similar result. Those were the last two home games of their first season in late February 1980. Yeah, I know, I'm old!!! We have been season ticket holders since then.
                  Doug
                  UAH 1974
                  Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                  Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                  Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                  Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                  Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

My first UAH game was before I actually knew I was attending UAH... back when I was in the Ohio State Athletic Band, UAH came up to Columbus (fall 2005) for a visit... and then took 3 points from the Buckeyes from a weekend series. The next year, I came down to Huntsville, and followed through that year to the NCAAs in 2007... making 3 hockey NCAAs I had attended. Hopefully the pep band goes to a 4th (for me) this year...

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      ... As for the Durbin/Kingston affair ... http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...ppyInRealWorld has the story, really:

As I was looking off of the play at the time [I was doing color and was looking at what the off-side winger and D-men were doing], I can't vouch for whether Durbin was pushed or just happened to run into Byrnie.

GFM
                      The D-man (David Halliwell - Kevin Ridgeway was covering Kingston) did tap him a little bit before he cross-checked Byrne in the back. The problem was that Durbin entered the cease from the left side going around Halliwell and then going through the crease across the goal mouth before cross-checking Byrne on the right side of the crease. Byrne was obviously shocked afterwards trying to figure-out how someone came out of the net to take him out.
                      I've stored a 7.7M dvr-ms file of it at
                      http://home.hiwaay.net/~plong/*tnl_h...0020316.dvr-ms
                      Maybe someone can retrieve it and post it in a viewable fashion.
                      Last edited by tnlong; 03-18-2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                        The D-man (David Halliwell - Kevin Ridgeway was covering Kingston) did tap him a little bit before he cross-checked Byrne in the back. The problem was that Durbin entered the cease from the left side going around Halliwell and then going through the crease across the goal mouth before cross-checking Byrne on the right side of the crease. Byrne was obviously shocked afterwards trying to figure-out how someone came out of the net to take him out.
                        I've stored a 7.7M dvr-ms file of it at
                        http://home.hiwaay.net/~plong/*tnl_h...0020316.dvr-ms
                        Maybe someone can retrieve it and post it in a viewable fashion.
                        I converted it to mpeg2 and watched it. I saw again what I saw when I was there: 1. Durbin entered the crease and took Byrne out of the play. 2. Durbin was in the crease when the puck arrived and was tipped into the net by Kingston. 3. The refs missed two major calls: 1. Crosscheck on the goalie-a penalty 2. Man in the crease-no goal. My personal opinion - the refs were tired and wanted to go home.

Now, is this going to change anything? No, it's just part of the CHA, UAH, & WSU legacy and history. So be it.
                        Last edited by Douglas; 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM.
                        Doug
                        UAH 1974
                        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

I think the conspiracy theorists should get you guys a copy of the Zapruder film.
                          Fear the Green

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                            I converted it to mpeg2 and watched it. I saw again what I saw when I was there: 1. Durbin entered the crease and took Byrne out of the play. 2. Durbin was in the crease when the puck arrived and was tipped into the net by Kingston. 3. The refs missed two major calls: 1. Crosscheck on the goalie-a penalty 2. Man in the crease-no goal. My personal opinion - the refs were tired and wanted to go home.

Now, is this going to change anything? No, it's just part of the CHA, UAH, & WSU legacy and history. So be it.
                            If you could get it to MPEG-2, so can I ... and I can upload it to Vimeo and we can all see.

As for the Zapruder film ... I'm not a JFK conspiracy guy at all.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

This video is almost painful to watch --- not because of the goal, but because the source is so degraded from multiple conversions. [DVR stream to MPEG-2 to FLV.]

******* width="400" height="300">****** name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />****** name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10263533&server=vimeo.com&sh ow_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fu llscreen=1" />****** src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10263533&server=vimeo.com&sh ow_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fu llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300">

Jason Durbin Checks Mark Byrne from Geoffrey Morris on Vimeo.

Iuorio's waved-off goal coming shortly.
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Here's Iuorio's waved-off goal:

******* width="400" height="300">****** name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />****** name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10263437&server=vimeo.com&sh ow_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fu llscreen=1" />****** src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10263437&server=vimeo.com&sh ow_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fu llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300">

2010 CHA Championship: Giancarlo Iuorio's Overturned Goal from Geoffrey Morris on Vimeo.

5Hole can now complain about it, and I won't say a word.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X