CHA Thoughts and Prognostications: Year 11, The Finale... Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CHA Thoughts and Prognostications: Year 11, The Finale... Part Deux

5hole - Sorry either of us had to lose that one... But I'm glad it was you... just as you would be had the score gone your way. Thanks again for the attempted fan shout out. That's what Burkie meant when he saw me and we talked about him and I being the only ones left that have been here for all 11 years of the CHA and that he was going to do something. I appreciate the thought.

Geof - You may have it and blow it up as large as you want but you may want to wait until I get home and use the high-res version that should blow up as large as you want. I'm writing this from Bowling Green, KY where I stopped for the night. It seems that when I got back to the hotel a bunch of UAH parents were there celebrating and invited me to join in with a brew or two... The INCH reporter that covered the Tourney joined us in the lobby and we didn't hit the rack or rooms until around 3am. Needless to say, since I was driving I slept-in and didn't leave Niagara Falls until nearly Noon.

5hole - I concur that you now have a reason to bi-itch at me either in every email you send me or every time you see me in the future for the next ten years... at least. I saw the infraction and think there is no doubt it would have been called in regulation but am also surprised it was called in OT with a championship on the line.

Complaint - My only real complaint about the tournament was with the scoreboard operator. I always take a shot of the scoreboard on each penalty and score. There were times when the score was not updated until after the clock was started. Also - the real BIGGY that bothered me was they never put up the winning goal on the scoreboard!!! I couldn't get a shot of the final score or a picture with the team in front of the scoreboard because they didn't post the winning score and they went and turned the scoreboard off a very few minutes after the game ended while all the cameras were still on the on-ice celebrations. Sour grapes I'm guessing. Understandable but not very classy. Other than that I thought everything ran just fine and feel we (the team) and I were treated very well and all of our needs were pretty much accommodated. I thank and commend the arena staff.

As for the disallowed scores - I wasn't in the proper position to make a judgment on either of them and can't wait to get home and watch it on the DVR.

Hope this answered the questions posed...
    Doug
    UAH 1974
    Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
    Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
    Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
    Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
    Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
      Geof - You may have it and blow it up as large as you want but you may want to wait until I get home and use the high-res version that should blow up as large as you want. I'm writing this from Bowling Green, KY where I stopped for the night. It seems that when I got back to the hotel a bunch of UAH parents were there celebrating and invited me to join in with a brew or two... The INCH reporter that covered the Tourney joined us in the lobby and we didn't hit the rack or rooms until around 3am. Needless to say, since I was driving I slept-in and didn't leave Niagara Falls until nearly Noon.
      I'll wait until you're home.

GFM <-- may have to buy Douglas a brew or two himself ...
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Geof, I do plan on dropping a note myself to the commish with comments about what I saw as the good and the bad of the Tourney. And I'll definitely take the hosts to task for anything that reflects of sour grapes. It is one thing for me as a fan to comment on an on-ice game occurrence but quite another for game officials not to run things properly (scoreboard final score) or for them as league officials to place a write-up on the league site that does not focus properly.

I'll also note the choice of official host hotel was somewhat dubious, based on a couple comments that I heard from others, concurring with my thoughts at the time I first saw the hotel named (which is why I did not stay there).
        As for coming clean on who I am ... mmm, I think there is a reason that the forum is set up this way, where there is some anonymity. I can think of a couple posters even on this thread that I would rather not divulge to, but that info becomes available to the entire forum! Enough of the regulars know who I am, I'll leave it at that for my part.
        GO PURPS!
        Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Wow, what a tournament! If BSU could have played the whole game against Niagara like they did the final 10 minutes, who knows.... But congrats to Niagara for knocking of the Beavers. I knew that game was going to be tough as BSU has never played well at Dwyer.

BSU is in the dance. I cannot see the NCAA being able to justify leaving the #7 PWR ranked team out of it. If they were below #10, then things would be a little more questionable.

And a big congrats to UAH!! Yes, gmann and myself watched the game while our wives conversed and kids played. It was a GREAT game, I thought. Both teams would have been worthy reps for the CHA, and even though I HATE HUNTSVILLE I am glad to see them make the dance and have a chance to stick it to the NCAA and hopefully make a case for a home. Best of luck in the dance, unless you meet BSU!

Wouldn't that be sweet, BSU vs UAH somewhere in the NCAA tournament. It would have to be for a berth in the Frozen Four or maybe even in the Frozen Four!!!! The CHA sticking it to the NCAA!!!

It has been a great run for the CHA. Lets hope it continues until April!
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

BSU is in the dance. I cannot see the NCAA being able to justify leaving the #7 PWR ranked team out of it. If they were below #10, then things would be a little more questionable.
            The only subjectivity the NCAA selection committee has is what region/location (St. Paul, etc) they place the seeds. There's no smoke filled room (anymore) - it's all by RPI, etc. Pairwise rankings mimic the NCAA's criteria and the teams are selected by their rating. Traditionally, teams want to be higher than 12th on Pairwise because of upsets in conference tourneys (i.e. UAH) knock out at-large bids. This year, I would want to be 10th or better.
            Fear the Green

Comment

The CHA sticking it to the NCAA!!!
              Sticking it to the NCAA? You guys should be thanking the NCAA for bending the rules so that the CHA teams had something to play for. The CHA should be thankful the NCAA was so understanding or UAH would be staying home.

Comment

Originally posted by Upper Deck View Post
                The only subjectivity the NCAA selection committee has is what region/location (St. Paul, etc) they place the seeds. There's no smoke filled room (anymore) - it's all by RPI, etc. Pairwise rankings mimic the NCAA's criteria and the teams are selected by their rating. Traditionally, teams want to be higher than 12th on Pairwise because of upsets in conference tourneys (i.e. UAH) knock out at-large bids. This year, I would want to be 10th or better.
                I'll post this one more time for those who haven't been paying attention.
                There is a selection process defined in a handbook (page 10 of handbook) and implemented by a committee.
                http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ..._icehockey.pdf
                There is definitely room for subjectivity, especially with "The committee reserves the right to evaluate each team based on the relative strength of its respective conference using the overall conference RPI and conference comparisons (e.g., Conference A’s won-lost record versus Conference B, etc.) in determining competitive equity."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                  Sticking it to the NCAA? You guys should be thanking the NCAA for bending the rules so that the CHA teams had something to play for. The CHA should be thankful the NCAA was so understanding or UAH would be staying home.
                  Everyone should be thankful the NCAA was so understanding or UAH AND THREE OTHER TEAMS would be staying home with a twelve team tournament.

Comment

All the whining about a league in its last year of existence getting two teams in by following the rules voted on by all the college hockey conferences and EARNING the two bids is absolutely ridiculous. Thanks for all the intelligent non-whiners contributing to the discussions on this board. Glad to see the CHA is going out with a bang. Hope the Chargers and Beavers both make some noise in the tournament, and that the Chargers have many, many more years of D1 hockey ahead of them.

Comment

Given that RMU beat Miami twice this year, the selection committee might find it entertaining to put both UAH and BSU in same region with Miami. If BSU, UAH, and Miami are all sent to Fort Wayne, we may have to make that trip. Yes, a BSU/UAH matchup anywhere in the tournament would just be too cool!

Comment

Hell, I'm going no matter where we are.

GFM <-- probably to broadcast.
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I really hope that they both end up in Fort Wayne, as thats the closest one to me and easiest for me to get to.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Here is a nice bracket for CHA Fans:

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...y-3142010.html

Denver vs. UAH
                            Bemidji State vs. Cornell

Both games in ST. PAUL! I would be so there!!!!!
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Denver vs. UAH

I would be there!
                              Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
                              THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

Denver vs. UAH

Sure, man! Split a hotel room?

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X