RIT/Army incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIT/Army incident

What I love about hockey is the passion on both sides. I realized when I posted that, that it would fire some people up, but I mainly wanted to know what caused the flare up in the first place.

First, let me say that I may be the only Army supporter on here, so I knew there wouldn't be any friendly discussion. Cody Ikkila cost himself some games by throwing punches, but he came to the aid of a player who was elbowed from behind. The reason there was a reaction is this player just returned from missing over 2 months with a concussion. The odds of that player being involved in any chippyness are remote. He simply must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Every player knows the risk involved in playing, so outside of potentially costing this player another concussion, it's boys being boys. Look at what happens in the NHL all of the time. Somebody gets hit and there is retribution.

I love the team that RIT has, and I hope you win it all. I also have met Kevin Anderson, and he is class just like most of the staff at West Point. They didn't make it there by being thin skinned. I bet somebody complained or maybe he was there.

Take care and beat Air Force!

Comment

Originally posted by sunylong View Post
      Stay classy RIT. The Army AD felt it was necessary to apologize for your behavior publicly.
      And yet did not apologize for the behavior of his own team.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I was at the game Saturday night and first let me say that the elbow was likely one of the worst intent to injure plays that I've seen in college hockey. The kid from RIT deserves at the very least to be suspended for the remainder of the season.

Given such a hit, especially on a kid who just returned from a concussion (yes, I know the RIT player likely didn't know that), I can see the game breaking down into a melee. The Army player was wrong for dropping the gloves and deserves whatever suspension he gets.

As far as the crowd is concerned, anyone who hasn't been to a game at West Point has to realize that it's a different experience than any other arena in college hockey. There is NO profanity from the crowd. It's a family environment and even when a good number of cadets show up, there is a strict conduct code in place. Occasionally you'll hear an off-color comment from a hockey dad but that's about it. I'm not an Army "fan" as I'm a Clarkson graduate, but I go to several games a year since it's right down the road from me.

I was seated near the RIT bench but not close enough to be within earshot of the players. There were no comments that I heard made by the fans other than boos and a couple of comments about goon hockey and surprisingly no profanity given the events. I did notice a few gestures being made by the players as they cleared the ice, particularly one that a WCHA coach or NY Jets head coach may be familiar with.

I have never seen anything but respect shown for the opponents from the crowd at West Point. This incident Saturday night, clearly fueled by RIT, was embarrassing to a program that prides itself on the family experience.
        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
        12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Why does RIT hate America?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

baby killers.

FLY HIGH FORCE!
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
              And yet did not apologize for the behavior of his own team.
              did they (players and coaches) yell profanities that could be heard by the fans?!?

that's all he apologized for, not general behavior (badness). as i read it vulgar words and behavior (flipping fingers?).

i'd guess if a Cadet did that, he'd be in big trouble....
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                Why does RIT hate America?
                if you lived that close to buffalo, you'd hate everything too (just ask shrader).
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                  I was at the game Saturday night and first let me say that the elbow was likely one of the worst intent to injure plays that I've seen in college hockey. The kid from RIT deserves at the very least to be suspended for the remainder of the season.

Given such a hit, especially on a kid who just returned from a concussion (yes, I know the RIT player likely didn't know that), I can see the game breaking down into a melee. The Army player was wrong for dropping the gloves and deserves whatever suspension he gets.

As far as the crowd is concerned, anyone who hasn't been to a game at West Point has to realize that it's a different experience than any other arena in college hockey. There is NO profanity from the crowd. It's a family environment and even when a good number of cadets show up, there is a strict conduct code in place. Occasionally you'll hear an off-color comment from a hockey dad but that's about it. I'm not an Army "fan" as I'm a Clarkson graduate, but I go to several games a year since it's right down the road from me.

I was seated near the RIT bench but not close enough to be within earshot of the players. There were no comments that I heard made by the fans other than boos and a couple of comments about goon hockey and surprisingly no profanity given the events. I did notice a few gestures being made by the players as they cleared the ice, particularly one that a WCHA coach or NY Jets head coach may be familiar with.

I have never seen anything but respect shown for the opponents from the crowd at West Point. This incident Saturday night, clearly fueled by RIT, was embarrassing to a program that prides itself on the family experience.
                  Having been to a pair of games at Tate Rink, I can confirm that Army offers easily the most family friendly atmosphere I've yet seen in college hockey and that is thanks in no small part to the code of conduct that cadets are expected to live by. That, in turn, tends to soften the visiting fans as well.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

This incident Saturday night, clearly fueled by RIT, was embarrassing to a program that prides itself on the family experience.
                    Clearly fueled by RIT? You mean the elbow? I wasn't there, but how does Mazur throwing an elbow justify Smith getting gooned by Ikkala and a DQ from the refs?

Let the refs handle the elbowing call.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      did they (players and coaches) yell profanities that could be heard by the fans?!?
                      If you really think that during that altercation that the Army players did not have any choice words about the "weather" then your as naive as the Army AD. Not to mention it did not take a professional lip reader to know that several fans in the arena were yelling profanities and I did not see one Usher do anything.

They should be embarassed byt the actions of Ikkala, but O man, get off your high horse. Your fans are not “holier than thou”. I’ve heard a couple of stories about West Point that makes them look like NY City fans. Does this reflect on all of the Army fans, no, but not all of them are angels. There actually were a few good trash talking stories I heard when RIT first visited Tate Rink and Army was one of the better teams in the Atlantic.

I will give you some slack on that I missed the Al Muzar hit at the end. He is a great player who hardly gets involved in altercations like that and we will just skip the charge that could have been a major that was not called when an Army guy crushed Alexin with the puck nowhere near him....

But hey guys, boys will be boys. And you making stuff up, I watched the RIT players leave the ice. There were some dismissive waves at the crowd but that’s about it, I did not see any birds get flashed. Riley and Wilson sure did not react like what was going on was so terrible. They both shock hands like, well hey boys will be boys.

I am just in shocked by this entire controversy, I’ve seen a lot more profanity thrown around High School games I have umpired. I am going out on a limb here and thinking this is not the general opinion of many of those enlisted in the Army. If I am wrong then I am certainly thankful that we still have the Marines for when the enemy throw profanity at us…
                      Last edited by Tom Naeger; 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM.
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        Clearly fueled by RIT? You mean the elbow? I wasn't there, but how does Mazur throwing an elbow justify Smith getting gooned by Ikkala and a DQ from the refs?

Let the refs handle the elbowing call.

Powers &8^]
                        The problem is that the refs, and the AHA, haven't handled the elbowing issues. RIT has been throwing vicious elbows all year long. This is obviously the brand of hockey they choose to play.

RIT is the best barn to visit in the AHA, and one of the best in college hockey. You RIT fans are passionate and exciting. But the cheap shots thrown by your hockey team are a problem. They are classless, and need to be addressed before someone ends up like Mikael Tam.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                          The problem is that the refs, and the AHA, haven't handled the elbowing issues. RIT has been throwing vicious elbows all year long. This is obviously the brand of hockey they choose to play.

RIT is the best barn to visit in the AHA, and one of the best in college hockey. You RIT fans are passionate and exciting. But the cheap shots thrown by your hockey team are a problem. They are classless, and need to be addressed before someone ends up like Mikael Tam.
                          That's a pretty big accusation to toss out there without anything to back it up. You go through and compile all the elbowing penalties for all the teams in the AHA and see who comes out on top?
                          RIT Tigers
                          Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                          Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                          Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                            That's a pretty big accusation to toss out there without anything to back it up. You go through and compile all the elbowing penalties for all the teams in the AHA and see who comes out on top?
                            Hooray for righteous indignation!
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

You've seen every RIT game where they've thrown elbows? Not to mention you've seen enough of the rest of the league to see that they aren't the only team who gets called for elbowing?
                              2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion

Comment

Besides the elbow by Mazur would you care to point out some specifics please?
                                KBranch

Comment

Working...
                                X