RIT/Army incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIT/Army incident

This was on Army's web site this morning. I know there was an altercation at the end of Saturday's game. Does anyone know what happened?

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204888604

Re: RIT/Army incident

Not sure what happened, stats show a chippy third period.

Penalty Summary Prd Player Team Min Offense Time
    1st Danny Colvin ARMY 2 TRIPPING 01:21 PP
    1st ALEXIN, Brent RIT 2 INTERFERENCE 07:34 PP
    1st Cody Ikkala ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 13:21 PP
    1st MURPHY, Sean RIT 2 CHARGING 15:56 PP
    1st Cody Ikkala ARMY 2 CT 19:00 PP
    2nd BRENNER, Tyler RIT 2 INTERFERENCE 00:54
    2nd Eric Sefchik ARMY 2 CT 05:12 PP
    2nd Mike Santee ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 06:46
    2nd Owen Meyer ARMY 2 TRIPPING 08:56 PP
    2nd Danny Colvin ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 12:57 PP
    2nd Marcel Alvarez ARMY 2 SLASHING 14:07
    3rd MAZUR, Alan RIT 2 HOOKING 00:00 PP
    3rd JANDA, Mike RIT 2 SLASHING 02:34 PP
    3rd BRENNER, Tyler RIT 2 TRIPPING 04:54 PP
    3rd MURPHY, Sean RIT 2 ROUGHING 14:37 PP
    3rd Jay Clark ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 15:30
    3rd Kyle Maggard ARMY 2 ROUGHING 18:03
    3rd FAVOT, Andrew RIT 2 HITTING AFTER WHISTLE 18:03
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      Not sure what happened, stats show a chippy third period.

Penalty Summary Prd Player Team Min Offense Time
      1st Danny Colvin ARMY 2 TRIPPING 01:21 PP
      1st ALEXIN, Brent RIT 2 INTERFERENCE 07:34 PP
      1st Cody Ikkala ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 13:21 PP
      1st MURPHY, Sean RIT 2 CHARGING 15:56 PP
      1st Cody Ikkala ARMY 2 CT 19:00 PP
      2nd BRENNER, Tyler RIT 2 INTERFERENCE 00:54
      2nd Eric Sefchik ARMY 2 CT 05:12 PP
      2nd Mike Santee ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 06:46
      2nd Owen Meyer ARMY 2 TRIPPING 08:56 PP
      2nd Danny Colvin ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 12:57 PP
      2nd Marcel Alvarez ARMY 2 SLASHING 14:07
      3rd MAZUR, Alan RIT 2 HOOKING 00:00 PP
      3rd JANDA, Mike RIT 2 SLASHING 02:34 PP
      3rd BRENNER, Tyler RIT 2 TRIPPING 04:54 PP
      3rd MURPHY, Sean RIT 2 ROUGHING 14:37 PP
      3rd Jay Clark ARMY 2 INTERFERENCE 15:30
      3rd Kyle Maggard ARMY 2 ROUGHING 18:03
      3rd FAVOT, Andrew RIT 2 HITTING AFTER WHISTLE 18:03
      That's actually not complete. There was also:
      ARM-5 Cody Ikkala (5-Fighting) 20:00
      ARM-6 Cody Ikkala (10-Game Disqualification) 20:00
      RIT-7 Al Mazur (5-Contact to the Head-Elbowing) 20:00
      RIT-8 Jeff Smith (5-Fighting) 20:00
      RIT-9 Jeff Smith (10-Game Disqualification) 20:00
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

From what was posted in the RIT thread and what I have gathered from people that listened to the game on the radio this is how I understand it:

Typical AHA reffing (horrible). They didn't control the game. At the end of the game RIT player hits Army player (elbowing call on Mazur). Another Army player grabs RIT player (Smith) and and there is a "fight". Both teams left benches but I'm not sure if that was before or after the "fight". I'm sure others can provide more detail

As for the language issue, its a hockey game, get over it. I've seen plenty of visiting coaches explode at the Ritter, Wilson is normally one of the more calmer coaches I have seen so I don't put too much stock in that letter.
        RIT Tigers
        Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
        Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
        Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by thunder97 View Post
          This was on Army's web site this morning. I know there was an altercation at the end of Saturday's game. Does anyone know what happened?

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204888604
          This guy is apologizing for what RIT players and coaches did. So the Army players and coaches were totally innocent. Where did this idiot come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
            This guy is apologizing for what RIT players and coaches did. So the Army players and coaches were totally innocent. Where did this idiot come from.
            Yeah, that letter kinda makes it sound like the RIT players and coaches were yelling at the fans... for no reason. OK, buddy. I'm sure the fans weren't saying or throwing anything.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

No matter what happened. No matter what fans may or may not have done, visiting players and coaches should not respond. Any altercation or negative interaction with fans taken by a visiting team WILL be blamed on them, and will reflect badly on the institution. Simply the fact that the AD from Army felt it necessary to post this, puts the Tigers in a bad light. When you are the guest in somebody elses barn, you will be blamed if something happens, so you need to be on your absolute best behavior.

I've seen enough RIT games over the years, both home and away to know that the boys on the ice aren't saints. Then again, no hockey team (or fans) I've ever seen have been pure and innocent.

Keep in mind that the guy on your team that you love because he's aggressive and plays with intensity is likely considered to be a goon by the opposition.
              John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
              AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
              AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
              NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
              NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
              NCAA DII - 1983
              NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Good news. The AD is also apologizing for the Vietnam War...

Dear People of North Vietnam,

Today many of your relatives are among our hardest working citizens here in the United States and I wanted to take this opportunity to apologize for what you were forced to endure during the Vietnam War.

The bombing and burning of villages by the Army personnel is something we will not tolerate in the future.

Our goal is for you to have a peaceful existence in Vietnam and to be forced to deal with our Agent Orange, flamethrowers and anti-personnel mines during the '60s is unacceptable.

We strive to provide the best atmosphere in wartime and I want to personally apologize to those women and children that were accidentally slaughtered.

Please know that we will continue to do our best to provide a first-rate warfare in the future, but without the killing of innocent citizens.

Again, my apologies for the Vietnam War. Thank you for your continued loyal support.

Go Army!

Kevin Anderson
                Director of Athletics
                United States Military Academy
                Last edited by dggoddard; 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

What an a**hole. And, no, I'm not talking about the AD.

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  Good news. The AD is also apologizing for the Vietnam War...

Comment

I’ve seen some major cry babies in my time, but this may just take the cake. I was at the game; I was not far from the RIT bench. Now I am sure there was profanity from RIT during the altercation, and I am sure there was profanity on Army’s part to. But I am the only one being honest here, Kevin it was so loud no one could hear anything being said on the ice.

Kevin, do you want to also apologies for a great show of sportsmanship from Cody Ikkala dropping his gloves and firing punches are Jeff Smith who never dropped his gloves, but the brain trust that are Atlantic refs gave him a DQ anyways.

There was no RIT action directed at the crowd, there was some yelling and sticks banging in the direction of Ikkala for his goon actions. The crowd did react to that, I saw some players laughing at the Boos that were coming down, I mean come on, your player gets Goon by a player and you get booed, that laughable. Not to mention Kevin that I heard plenty of Profanity from your fans directed at RIT, which your ushers did nothing about. How about an apology for your staff’s inactions there?

I will have to say I did not see Mazur elbow, I caught the start of the altercation out of the corner of my eye and did not see the Elbow. But it was hardly the only cheap shot that was thrown all night.

The Army AD’s e-mail address is listed underneath the staff directory, I think we should all write him and thank him for bad mouthing our team…
                    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule
                    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Stay classy RIT. The Army AD felt it was necessary to apologize for your behavior publicly.
                      The Niagara University

2008 NCAA Tournament
                      2004 NCAA Tournament
                      2000 NCAA Tournament - Elite Eight

2008 CHA Champion
                      2006 CHA RS Champion
                      2005 CHA RS Champion
                      2004 CHA Champion

Comment

Originally posted by sunylong View Post
                        Stay classy RIT. The Army AD felt it was necessary to apologize for your behavior publicly.
                        Brought to you by the classy SUNYAC where we have had 3 times end up with NCAA probation, one of which had to vacate a NCAA Championship. The Oswego and Plattsburgh fans who both cost their teams games by throwing object on the ice, and oh yeah the classic fans in D-III from Plattsburgh...

BTW...The Joke about Vietnam is not very funny, the guys an idiot but that letter is in bad taste...

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Response from RIT Coach Wayne Wilson:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, used profanity, or took a few liberties with the females in the stands - we did.
                          [winks at Army AD Anderson]
                          But you can't hold a whole college responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame all of college hockey? And if all of college hockey is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Kevin - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

Comment

Here's a some more WCHA apologies...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...14_penalty.php

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                              Response from RIT Coach Wayne Wilson:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, used profanity, or took a few liberties with the females in the stands - we did.
                              [winks at Army AD Anderson]
                              But you can't hold a whole college responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame all of college hockey? And if all of college hockey is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Kevin - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!
                              Ok, that was funny, but Wilson would have referenced a poem...

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

Working...
                              X