Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont @ UNH - Cat Fight @ the Whit

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
    UNH has been without the services of Dalton Speelman and Greg Burke for the past two weeks. Both have been out with shoulder injuries. Speelman will probably be back in action this weekend, but Burke is still unlikely.
    See, I was told that Speelman had a broken collarbone; I never heard when he was coming back, but this weekend seems pretty quick. Another report I read said that Burke had as separated shouler, and could have played v. Providence, but . . . well, it was against Providence.
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
      Yes. For a while. Then they found out that it cost too much money to turn the lights on, and pay the change over crew. It's much better for the ice where it isn't covered constantly.
      And now, instead of having anything except hockey there, they have Home & Garden Shows on weekends when the UNH Gymnastics team is hosting the EAGL Conference Championship, so we have to squeeze 8 teams into the Field House. Awesome.
      I haven't been on here in a year...
      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by 5IslandsWildcat View Post
        After post below, looked at latest PWR. UNH and UVM are in a 4-way tie for 9th. Still think UNH has more skill, and is at home, but, stating the obvious, both teams will have much to play for. Should be a great weekend!!!

The pairwise is so crazy, how do we take only 1 point from Merrimack and move up?

Making my first road trip this year for these 2 games and was more optimistic 3 days ago about the Cats chances of points.

The bright spot is Vermont has been better this year at holding leads on the road that keep disappearing at home.
        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
          And now, instead of having anything except hockey there, they have Home & Garden Shows on weekends when the UNH Gymnastics team is hosting the EAGL Conference Championship, so we have to squeeze 8 teams into the Field House. Awesome.
          Did you ever notice how the whitt has about a million windows in it that we have to keep covered for games. Those windows were put in with garden shows in mind.
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
            See, I was told that Speelman had a broken collarbone; I never heard when he was coming back, but this weekend seems pretty quick. Another report I read said that Burke had as separated shouler, and could have played v. Providence, but . . . well, it was against Providence.
            Neither one is in a sling right now which is good news. On Saturday, Speelman practiced on the 4th line with Manz and Pavelski while Burke is still not practicing. It is a separated shoulder, but he's separated this shoulder like three times now, so I think that's why it will take longer.
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

After post below, looked at latest PWR. UNH and UVM are in a 4-way tie for 9th. Still think UNH has more skill, and is at home, but, stating the obvious, both teams will have much to play for. Should be a great weekend!!!
              SiouxSports has UVM at 12th, and UNH at 10th.

Either way, UVM has had a rough go of it. The meltdown against MC is a tough pill to swallow. UVM will give UNH all they want if they take it as a wake up call, if they continue to sleep UNH should be able to pad their stats. I hate to say it, but I'm predicting sweep for UNH. Anything can happen but unless Madore, who has played well, can step up and pitch a shutout the Catamounts are a sinking ship.

Gray repped for "If UNH doesnt sweep its because UNH is sleeping, not UVM. *******."
              Not sure where this came from regarding my post? But apparently someone has some reading comprehension issues.......
              Last edited by jcarter7669; 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                Wow, so UNH will get either 1,2,3 or 4 points this weekend. At least Darci made an actual prediction .
                Ok, so if you want an ACTUAL prediction: we won't get swept...THERE!
                A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

When I was active on USCHO threads last fall, I put IrishWildcat on my ignore list. Thanks, Rock, for quoting him; I’ll keep him there. But I’m then hypocritical if I don’t make a prediction, even if not worth much. I’m no doubt over-influenced by wanting so badly for the Wildcats to do well.

Expect UNH to take 4 points this weekend. It won’t be easy, despite UVM injuries. The “Other Cats” should come into the Whitt hungry for points, and should provide determined opposition. If UNH is going anywhere in post season tourneys, now is the time to stabilize the team defense, improve the PP and PK, and get more goals from the 2nd and 3rd lines. UVM is a test for those advancements, and an opportunity to show they can beat opposing players to loose pucks.

Most of all, looking forward to a weekend of excellent hockey, from both teams.
                  PP will be the key......last 2 weekends, Maine and PC the games coulds have been put away with timely PPs goals.....time for a change in the PP
                  PSW
                  watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

I liked what I saw out of UNH late in the game on Friday. If they keep up that effort consistently this weekend, I think they'll do well against the "other" Cats.

Originally posted by PSW View Post
                    PP will be the key......last 2 weekends, Maine and PC the games coulds have been put away with timely PPs goals.....time for a change in the PP
                    UNH may not have scored on the PP against Providence, but they generated pretty solid pressure, kept the puck on the zone, and got some chances. They keep that up, and the puck will start going in. I only really get frustrated with the power play when they can't keep the puck in, don't control the play, and give up short-handed opportunities.

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                    The pairwise is so crazy, how do we take only 1 point from Merrimack and move up?
                    Because it's not solely dependent on how your team does.
                    Last edited by thecomicbookguy; 02-16-2010, 10:34 PM.
                    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

This will be an interesting weekend for the UVM Cats. Lots happening within the team. Wahs Stacey (9 goals and 9 assists in 19 games) out with high ankle sprain as indicated on team thread; Chris McCarthy has to sit out Friday game with a DQ; Justin Milo, 2nd leading scorer on team is released earlier today from the team by coaching staff; Jay Anctil, a 4th liner was injured on Saturday with probably a serious upper body injury (he left game early and did not return).

Not sure they have enough players to dress 4 lines unless one of the D is moved to a forward slot.

I just hope they show some pride and make the weekend series a respectable showing.
                      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by WILD E WOLVERINE View Post
                        Back when the whit was under construction I had heard the bball team may play some games there - has this ever happened?
                        The last time the squeakball team played in the Whitt was in 2001. It was for a game vs Florida, where over 7200 came to see former Concord High star Matt Bonner, who played for the Gators.

UNH lost (duh) 108-56, with a Gator racing down the court in the final seconds for one last basket.
                        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Link to a bit more news on the Justin Milo dismissal:

http://uvmsports.wordpress.com/2010/...o-hockey-cats/
                          GaryH - UVM Class of '73
                          "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by GaryH View Post
                            Link to a bit more news on the Justin Milo dismissal:

http://uvmsports.wordpress.com/2010/...o-hockey-cats/
                            This sounds like there was something else going on. Pretty drastic move to boot someone off the team for "inconsistent effort and play". However, "a lack of commitment to the team" seems to indicate off-ice troubles. I don't know much about Sneddon, though, so maybe that's really all it is. Perhaps he viewed Milo's attitude as detrimental to the rest of the team, so getting rid of him helps the locker room, and maybe even wakes/fires up a team teetering on the brink of the basement steps.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                              Perhaps he viewed Milo's attitude as detrimental to the rest of the team, so getting rid of him helps the locker room, and maybe even wakes/fires up a team teetering on the brink of the basement steps.
                              we can only hope because losing your second leading scorer off of an offensively challenged team sure doesn't sit well in my Gutt. I hope Sneddon is right on this one....Milo seemed like a good kid and hockey player.
                              Originally posted by Hokydad
                              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Sidenote: Red Sox play by play announcer Don Orsillo will be calling Fridays game on NESN with former Bruin Craig Janney.

Carry on

Comment

Working...
                                X