Wisconsin Hockey 2024 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
    As fans we have been through 15 seasons of disastrous results with lackluster performance from top draft picks. Right now we are desperate for wins and are willing to see what Hastings can do after experiencing this year. Maybe this is Hastings high point at UW and everything collapses, maybe the team takes a step back or treads water, maybe they reach new heights. I have no idea what will happen, but for the first time in years I’m actually excited, draft picks or not.
    I’m happy about the direction of the program. I’m just hoping that we can build on this previous year next season. It would be nice to get an NCAA tournament win for the first time in 15 years. I’m feeling less certain about it with the transfers, but there is still time to fill holes.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post

Agreed 100%. My view is very similar, but you worded it so much nicer than I did lol. I am amongst Minnesota fans (Wild and gophers) on another hockey forum every single day. So I'm used to fighting tooth and nail and ribbing to defend any sort of position I hold. I apologize if I come off as extra confrontational to those posting here.

I do think the league difference is a valid point that hasn't been discussed yet. A lot harder to get a .600+ win% when you're in the big ten. I fully believe he can do it, but next year might be a bumpy transition year.

Projecting the lineup for next year:

Mosley-Fitzgerald-Tassy
      Finley-Lindmark-????
      Botterill-????-Kukkonen
      Morrissey-Dyck-Mehlenbacher
      (Scholl, Bantle?)

Palodichuk-Dexheimer
      Laatsch-Kehrer
      Schulz-Hensler
      (Phelan)

Scarfone
      Gramme
      Castro

Notes:
      -Not sure if Hensler is 24-25 or 25-26. Elite prospects says 25-26, but I came across an article saying he was part of the 2024 incoming class. He excites me as a prospect.
      -Scarfone seems like a rock solid goaltender. Nothing below a .918 sv% in three years at RIT. 25-9-2 last year.

We are still missing two important cogs in the forward group as demonstrated by the mock lineup. Interesting portal targets include Artem Schlaine, Bennett Schimek, Luigi Benincasa, Harrison Israels (20 goal scorer), Ross Mitton (30+ points). (bold = more than 1 year of eligibility left)

Digitalbooya you asked about people sharing their expectations for the rest of the offseason and next season and then offered up a look at next year’s roster, here’s my take on those questions.

Roster for 2024-2025 season – feel free to correct anything I have wrong.
      (Name, “G” for Granato recruit and “H” for Hastings recruit, Age, Grade, Draft Round)

Goalies: (3)
      Tommy Scarfone, H, 23, Grad, Undrafted
      William Gramme, G, 21, Soph, Undrafted
      Anton Castro, G, 21, Fr, Undrafted

Defensemen: (7)
      Anthony Kehrer, G, 21, Grad, Undrafted
      Daniel Laatsch, G, 22, Senior, 7th Round
      Ben Dexheimer, G, 21, Junior, Undrafted
      Zach Schulz, G, 19, Soph, 6th Round
      Joe Palodichuk, G, 21, Soph, Undrafted
      Logan Hensler, H, 17, Fr, Undrafted
      Jack Phelan, H, 19, Fr, 5th Round

Forwards: (13)
      Owen Lindmark, Eves, 23, 6th Year, 5th Round
      Carson Bantle, G, 22, Grad, 5th Round
      Ryland Mosley, H, 24, Grad, Undrafted
      Simon Tassy, H, 23, Jr, Undrafted
      Christian Fitzgerald, H, 21, Jr, Undrafted
      Tyson Dyck, H, 20, Jr, 7th Round
      Jack Horbach, G, 22, Jr, Undrafted
      Kyle Kukkonen, H, 21, Jr, 6th Round
      Owen Mehlenbacher, G, 20, Soph, 7th Round
      Quinn Finley, G, 19, Soph, 3rd Round
      Sawyer Scholl, G, 22, Soph, Undrafted
      Ryan Botterill, H, 20, Fr, Undrafted
      Gavin Morrissey, H, 21, Fr, Undrafted

I went to the Mankato site to see how many players Hastings usually has on his roster and here’s what I found (last year he had 8 D and 15 F):
      22-23 – 8 D, 17 F
      21-22 – 9 D, 16 F
      20-21 – 8 D, 18 F
      19-20 – 9 D, 17 F

If we figure he’s going to try to get to 8 or 9 D and at least 15 Forwards, then he’s still going to try to add 1 or 2 D and 2 or 3 Forwards. I have no idea who he will try to bring in. Hopefully a couple of lads who can score the puck.

I guess my only concern, and I’m not that worried about it, is if he brings in 3 forwards who are 21+ and fit the Hastings-mold, will that scare off Quinn? I doubt it, but he is the only teenage forward on the team and he’s the highest drafted player still on the team. The other two teenage forwards who were high draft picks left in the portal. Quinn staying will be a good early indicator that young, talented forwards can/will play for Hastings.

As far as line combos for next year:
      I really liked seeing Horbach, Lindmark, Bantle together, so I hope that is one line combo.
      Finley/Fitzgerald/Botterill might be a fun skill line (who would be center?).
      Tassy/Mehlenbacher/Scholl might be a good-grind-and-****-off-the-other-team line.
      I don’t really know anything about Mosley/Kukkonen/Morrissey. I didṉt see much out of Dyck last year.

For the Defensemen:
      Laatsch – Dexheimer
      Palodichuk – Kehrer
      Schulz – Hensler
      Phelan
      I like these first two pairings a lot.

Goalies:
      If you take Hastings at his word last year, Gramme and McClellan were neck-and-neck at the beginning of the year and he rode Kyle for the entire season. So I guess if they are close again next year, he will go with the more experienced goalie? Scarfone will be the starter.

Comment

• Those forward counts from Mankato are crazy when 12 play, plus one extra skater.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Dang - Owen Lindmark was a holdover commitment from Eaves?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlindBucky View Post
            Dang - Owen Lindmark was a holdover commitment from Eaves?!?
            At first I wrote it as an attempt to make a joke about how long he's been at Madison, but then I started wondering if that might be true. According to this Neutral Zone article ( Owen Lindmark Becomes a Badger - Neutral Zone ) it was almost true. He was recruited by Eaves and did his first visit when Eaves was still coach, but ultimately he committed once Granato arrived. Still crazy his involvement with Madison has spanned 3 coaches.

Comment

• I’m going to revise my frozen four thoughts. I want Denver to beat Michigan for the title.

”the West, is the best!” Morrison
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                I’m going to revise my frozen four thoughts. I want Denver to beat Michigan for the title.

”the West, is the best!” Morrison
                The more these announcers whine about how unfairly BU is being treated, the more I want DU to win.

Comment

The more these announcers whine about how unfairly BU is being treated, the more I want DU to win.
                  Down goes BU!!

To your point …yeah, the east coast bias is so grating and tiresome.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• While I have absolutely no love for BC, I hate Michigan and they are already too close. I hope that Michigan gets shelled, then Go Denver. BC goes up 3-0.

Comment

• The talent at the frozen four is just insane. Absolutely loaded teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

You want a coach who had 26 wins fired after one season? A coach who previously guided Mankato to 2 Frozen Four’s in the last few years? A coach who has NEVER had a losing season anywhere as coach?

you cannot be serious.
                        Yes, the man is a dork. He needs to go.
                        UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

• McClellan wins the 2024 Richter Award

https://www.uscho.com/2024/04/12/wis...adgers-goalie/

Comment

McClellan wins the 2024 Richter Award

Heck yeah! Congrats to McClellan!

Comment

• Terry Switzer is upset. Bummer dude.

Although I must give credit to solovsfet for the JM quote...righteous stuff right there!

Comment

McClellan wins the 2024 Richter Award

What a credit to Kyle and to Coaches Murdock and Hastings for being able to elevate his game to the absolute height of his profession. Perhaps Wisconsin can become goalie U again. The certainly has to get the attention of goalie prospects.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X