No announcement yet.

University of Maine Off-season 2024: Insert Pun Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough loss for Michigan State. *** was their coach thinking not challenging that possible major then the game turned.

Comment

I think we could all agree that Maine could use a little more size, especially up front. Since I was curious, I did some research on our incoming freshmen and their height and weight, since it wasn't on my chart. Most of them are, as you imagine, on the smaller side, with Coccomiglio being the smallest at just 5'8", 168 lbs. Notables include Kuzma 6'0 194, Cisar 6'0 183, James 6'0 170, and Pichette 5'11 181. But the one that really stands out, as the biggest recruit by far, is James Taylor at 6'6, 225 lbs. I had previously listed him as one of the recruits likely to fall thru, but after seeing that, maybe he sticks around to bring some muscle to the lineup.
      Last edited by amkirby10; 03-31-2024, 08:57 PM.

Comment

It's a little disgusting to watch a Gustaffson on BC but whatever. I get why he's there.

Comment

After watching this weekends hockey...we all know that Maine is still in the rebuild/retool process...size and strength is needed...better transition out of there own end...thinking and this is just imo that Bojia/Berzins could be a solid tandem (hopefully)...we are in year 4 of Barrs plan which in each and every year has improved....but all in all Maine hockey this season was fun again and Alfond was back to being the ace in the hole as far as a team advantage....it should be a interesting off season as they very well could add a player or two thru the Portal.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            OT 4-4 Heck of a game. Q went into prevent a little early if you ask me. 1 goal is diddly squat against BC
            Yes thought the same on QU going into a prevent type of play...but it happens in playoff hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              I think we could all agree that Maine could use a little more size, especially up front. Since I was curious, I did some research on our incoming freshmen and their height and weight, since it wasn't on my chart. Most of them are, as you imagine, on the smaller side, with Coccomiglio being the smallest at just 5'8", 168 lbs. Notables include Kuzma 6'0 194, Cisar 6'0 183, James 6'0 170, and Pichette 5'11 181. But the one that really stands out, as the biggest recruit by far, is James Taylor at 6'6, 225 lbs. I had previously listed him as one of the recruits likely to fall thru, but after seeing that, maybe he sticks around to bring some muscle to the lineup.
              A bit more size sure, thankfully things arent going back to Red size teams with little skill, but they have to be faster skaters good hands snipers, yes.

One thing that strikes me every year during playoffs more than size is quickness, stick puck skills, and good player decisions. We need a few more of this type player, draft picks. Combine this with the heart and grit that the team had this year would bring them to the next level wouldnt it.

50 draft picks in the final 4. That puts things in perspective.

Be interesting to see what coach can do with the roster.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 04-01-2024, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Connor Androlewicz has entered the portal. Not a shocker there since he wasn’t getting to play as the third goalie(and won’t next year as the third goalie). Well, thanks for being a Blackbear, Connor.

Comment

Jackson and Joshua Niedermayer entered the portal after playing at ASU. Joshua played in Pentincton with the Nadeaus and Hopkins. They are the son of legendary NHL Scott Niedermayer.

Comment

Carter Wilkie would be a nice pickup...but figure he will draw alot of interest from other College teams along with the possibility of him hooking onto a NHL team...as far as the Niedermayers...most likely would be a package deal to whomever is interested bringing them aboard...with this just starting up ..look for many other options to join the list...really puts the Coaching staffs on there toes to decide if any would be a fit into there programs...interesting off season to say the least Maine and around the College Hockey world.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      A bit more size sure, thankfully things arent going back to Red size teams with little skill, but they have to be faster skaters good hands snipers, yes.

One thing that strikes me every year during playoffs more than size is quickness, stick puck skills, and good player decisions. We need a few more of this type player, draft picks. Combine this with the heart and grit that the team had this year would bring them to the next level wouldnt it.

50 draft picks in the final 4. That puts things in perspective.

Be interesting to see what coach can do with the roster.
                      For what it's worth, I believe Maine and Michigan Tech had the fewest draft picks (just 1) among any of the teams in the NCAA tournament.

Some good talent on the horizon and I'm sure Barr has his eyes on a couple portal guys. Hopefully he's able to pluck another unheralded gem like Scott.

Comment

Yes, one Matt Wood please. Size, only a soph and high draft pick.
                        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

As thrilled as I would be with Wood coming here, all sources indicate he is destined for the B1G, most likely a future Gopher.

Comment

Originally posted by grooverider View Post
                            Tough loss for Michigan State. *** was their coach thinking not challenging that possible major then the game turned.
                            Certainly made head contact first

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                              As thrilled as I would be with Wood coming here, all sources indicate he is destined for the B1G, most likely a future Gopher.
                              In addition to Wood, UConn has two more defections to the portal, forward Samu Salminen(0.5 ppg) with two years eligibility left and #2 goalie Arsenii Sergeev(.913 sv %) with 2 years eligibility left. He shut out Maine once this season, I believe.

Also a forward Michael Emerson(0.8 ppg) from North Dakota just enter the transfer portal. He has only played one season at 0.8 ppg and has 3 years of eligibility left. He likely will be battled over.
                              Last edited by Sparkee; 04-01-2024, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I wonder if we will see Neimo on the portal? I would guess end of season interviews with the coach before players start jumping ship
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X