Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Maine Off-season 2024: Insert Pun Here

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    Enter the portal to go to Stonehill?? Yikes! Following year: beer league.
    He will get more games there. He didn’t get any… literally any playing time last season. He started 3 games in four years at Maine. He likely wants some playing time… any playing time.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post

      Thanks, Scratch another off the list. Today is the last day players can enter the portal. I noticed Merrimack had a defensemen, Frank Djuracevic, that seems decent enter the portal.

      Here is an updated watch list of potentially solid additions…

      Forwards
      *********
      Cade Nielsen - LC - 3.75 - 0.78
      Liam Valente - LW - 3.75 - 0.77
      Evan Werner - RC - 4.0 - (?)
      Nick Rheaume - LC - 3.75 - (?)

      Defense
      ********
      Arvils Bergmanis - LD - (?) - 0.71
      Frank Djurecevic - RD - 3.75 - (?)
      Ben Brunette - LD - 4.0 - (-0.04)
      Djurecevic was on the Penticton Vees...around the time the Nadeau's were on the team...most likey the UM Coaching Staff knows alot about him...plus his season @Merrimack.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post

        He will get more games there. He didn’t get any… literally any playing time last season. He started 3 games in four years at Maine. He likely wants some playing time… any playing time.
        Then join the beer league now while finishing a good education at UMaine.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

        And stay off the lawn!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          Then join the beer league now while finishing a good education at UMaine.
          He graduated with a Bachelors degree from UMaine the other day. So he will now be studying for a Masters at Stonehill.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post

            He graduated with a Bachelors degree from UMaine the other day. So he will now be studying for a Masters at Stonehill.
            Want me to rephrase? Fine. Then join the beer league now while finishing a good education with a Masters degree at UMaine. Or Stonehill. Or SNHU. Or Babson. Or ....
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

            And stay off the lawn!

            Comment


            • UNH is getting a complete rebuild in goal. UNH top goaltender Jakob Hellsten went pro, and both backups entered portal. So far, they have a transfer from Alaska-Anchorage as their goalie, Jared Whale.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post

                He will get more games there. He didn’t get any… literally any playing time last season. He started 3 games in four years at Maine. He likely wants some playing time… any playing time.
                That just HAS to be the reason. Stonehill is essentially a bad D-3 team.

                But ice is ice, I suppose.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

                  That just HAS to be the reason. Stonehill is essentially a bad D-3 team.

                  But ice is ice, I suppose.
                  It’s probably the free grad degree.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                  Comment


                  • It's hard to win a championship. Are we ready for the next step?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post
                      UNH is getting a complete rebuild in goal. UNH top goaltender Jakob Hellsten went pro, and both backups entered portal. So far, they have a transfer from Alaska-Anchorage as their goalie, Jared Whale.
                      I think that Jakob Hellsten was by far the primary reason that UNH had their first winning season since 2013/14. Will be interesting to see whether Mike Souza has pulled another rabbit out of the portal hat in Jared Whale, whose pads and flashing glove will be a tough follow.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

                        I think that Jakob Hellsten was by far the primary reason that UNH had their first winning season since 2013/14. Will be interesting to see whether Mike Souza has pulled another rabbit out of the portal hat in Jared Whale, whose pads and flashing glove will be a tough follow.
                        I would think Grabko of Bentley might be a decent add to give more time to recruit a longer term player from juniors. I am surprised there is only one goalie on the recruiting list for UNH, and it is a young player slated to join in fall of 2026. Sometimes European commits don’t make it on the Heisenberg list.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by grooverider View Post
                          It's hard to win a championship. Are we ready for the next step?
                          I think just get home ice for the hockey east playoffs is the goal each year. Do that and it’s extremely likely you get to the hockey east semis in Boston and an ncaa at large bid. So that to me is the clear goal each season. I don’t see any huge additions that would cause Maine to ascend higher than how they finished last season. It would need to be just general improvement from the collective small improvements by many of the younger players from last season.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post

                            I think just get home ice for the hockey east playoffs is the goal each year. Do that and it’s extremely likely you get to the hockey east semis in Boston and an ncaa at large bid. So that to me is the clear goal each season. I don’t see any huge additions that would cause Maine to ascend higher than how they finished last season. It would need to be just general improvement from the collective small improvements by many of the younger players from last season.
                            I agree Sparkee. But championship teams have "it". Next year we may have "it" regardless of talent which is tenaciousness, commitment, will to win, relentlessness

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by grooverider View Post

                              I agree Sparkee. But championship teams have "it". Next year we may have "it" regardless of talent which is tenaciousness, commitment, will to win, relentlessness
                              They should be a tough play each and every night...last season was another learning lesson as other teams worked on taking Maine's skating game away with physical and constant pounding. This season they will see the same as they are still a smaller team. Hopefully they can put 3 scoring lines out with the 4th line a pesky gritty line. Goaltending again needs to step up and be a strong point...Boija has gotten a real test and should be able to be the #1 man between the pipes...with Berzin coming in and hopefully pushing Boija and for playing time. Lots of tweaking but I have faith that in year 4 of the Barr plan. Schedule should be a real test and glad to see that it is loaded with good teams...you get better playing the best.....

                              Comment


                              • Is the schedule out?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X