Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Maine Off-season 2024: Insert Pun Here

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

    Well, the portal hasn't made much sense in any sport so far. Guys are bailing right and left for no discernible reason. Really hard to say if Maine (or anyone) can figure it out.

    I'd have to think that it'll end up benefiting the blue-bloods and the more recently successful programs than it will Maine, though.

    Its like the wild west or ebay. I sort of view it that mostly the elite teams swap out elite players and everyone else swaps their players around hoping for that right fit. Yeah at the end of the day some team will do good enough with transfers to improve themselves for a year or so. It seems easy to go down a rabbit hole chasing portal transfers. But does this build a program for continual success?
    Im too used to the old ways, havent quite wrapped my head around it yet.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by OronoKO View Post

      Sometimes players are nudged, I think. He was averaging 12.8min/game, so a 3rd/4th liner (Hanson averaged 12min/game for Maine). If he's on a lot of scholarship money, moving him on allows Carvel to use that money elsewhere. Numbers taken from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=689537449

      Of course, he may just think he will get more opportunities at Maine and has jumped to improve his prospects of going good pro. While Maine may be sorry to see Houle go, his AHL deal is good for recruiting.
      I like the two columns where they have an offensive and defensive index per 60 minutes. It normalizes everyone’s minutes. If they add those two numbers together and had one number and sorted it based on the addition of those two it would likely show you the most valuable players at the top. I’m not sure though as some players have power play time. I’m not sure if that index is only even strength?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by NorthMike View Post


        Its like the wild west or ebay. I sort of view it that mostly the elite teams swap out elite players and everyone else swaps their players around hoping for that right fit. Yeah at the end of the day some team will do good enough with transfers to improve themselves for a year or so. It seems easy to go down a rabbit hole chasing portal transfers. But does this build a program for continual success?
        Im too used to the old ways, havent quite wrapped my head around it yet.
        I think of it as free agency for ncaa hockey. So far Maine lost three regular forwards in the line up to graduation or transfer in Poisson(LW), Houle(RW), and Hanson(C). So they added Makar(LW), Fowler(RW), and Russell(C). I put Fowler on as RW because it looks like he played a lot of off wing like Brad and Scholle have been doing a lot of. So in essence Maine’s line up has been brought to what appears to be a break even right now. If they can add a solid player that is an upgrade over what they have or what more will be leaving then they get an incremental gain. And if the rookies come in and outplay others in the line up you get more incremental gains. But the rookies are more like building from a draft. In essence, you want to plug the holes vacated, and then have your rookies outplay guys to improve the squad. If Makar, Fowler, or Russell show a big improvement then it is wonderful. But at least you have an idea of what they play like at this level.

        I think though they need to bring in someone that can play well above average to account for when Breen signs his AHL contract. That is why I am hoping that Whitelaw, Wilkie, or Copponi will land in Maine. But not holding my breath. A ringer would be wonderful.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post

          Do you have a tweet or something? I checked McMahon Twitter and didn’t see anything on him. Sounds like a good defensemen.
          https://x.com/schlossmangf/status/17...Q39ollo3Xkd3Lg

          Comment


          • Latest Episode Of Journey North:
            https://youtu.be/hMqngLNS0q4?feature=shared

            Comment


            • I'd think some of the players opting into portal are basing that decision on the season ending interviews they have with staff.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

              Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

              Comment


              • Who do you all think gets most improved award? MVP? Best defensemen? Unsung hero?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post
                  Who do you all think gets most improved award? MVP? Best defensemen? Unsung hero?
                  Chabrier for best defenseman and most improved. Boija would have my vote for unsung hero, although Scott has a good case as well. Co-MVPs maybe?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Sparkee View Post
                    Who do you all think gets most improved award? MVP? Best defensemen? Unsung hero?
                    If I were voting:
                    Most Improved: Brandon Chabrier
                    MVP: Josh Nadeau
                    Best D: Brandon Holt
                    Unsung Hero: Toughest one for me, maybe Nolan Renwick for helping rejuvenate the bros after their slump when he became their center?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

                      If I were voting:
                      Most Improved: Brandon Chabrier
                      MVP: Josh Nadeau
                      Best D: Brandon Holt
                      Unsung Hero: Toughest one for me, maybe Nolan Renwick for helping rejuvenate the bros after their slump when he became their center?
                      All of the above with Unsung: Harrison Scott

                      Comment


                      • I'm not sure Scott was unsung. He had a great year and was, rightly, praised for it. I might even have him as MVP (although J. Nadeau is superb). Chabrier for most improved. Holt and Brazeale can share best D and unsung.

                        Comment


                        • Looks like Houle made his AHL debut last night, playing on the Barracuda fourth line against Coachella Valley.

                          Comment


                          • I'm hearing there may be another name or two coming to Maine from the portal.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by grooverider View Post
                              I'm hearing there may be another name or two coming to Maine from the portal.
                              Could very well be possible...especially if Breen departs and does not opt for a 5th season....but the longer Breen stays out there with no decisions to move to a ECHL/AHL/NHL contract...the more and just me but he returns to UM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by OronoKO View Post
                                I'm not sure Scott was unsung. He had a great year and was, rightly, praised for it. I might even have him as MVP (although J. Nadeau is superb). Chabrier for most improved. Holt and Brazeale can share best D and unsung.
                                Bottom line he was a important add to the team/program...he should add to that this upcoming season.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X