University of Maine Off-season 2024: Insert Pun Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    So something I just noticed, when the team posted the picture of Houle signing his contract, he was flanked by Breen, Breazeale, and Ostman. Today when they posted Ostman signing his contract, he was flanked by Breazeale and Breen. Hopefully this is just a coincidence and because those two are captains, but was something I noticed just now. I'm probably over analyzing, something I can be prone to doing.
    I thought the same exact thing. Really hoping that isn’t the case, this team will look much different if they leave. However, I would have expected far more action from Barr in the transfer portal in preparation if that was the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Ostman signed with Kraken
      Was surprised he didn't sign with them after last season, but will be rooting for him as a pro!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

I thought the same exact thing. Really hoping that isn’t the case, this team will look much different if they leave. However, I would have expected far more action from Barr in the transfer portal in preparation if that was the case.
        I mean, there's still a lot of time until October, the huge majority of portal guys haven't committed yet, at least not publicly.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

They have a ton of recruits lined up so don’t think it’s necessary to get a lot of guys from portal. Henbrandt and Scott worked out great but most of the guys have been fairly average.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

Isn't that how Maine has typically operated?

Find the unheralded gems that play with a chip on their shoulder because the bigger schools didn't want them. Even dating back to the Walsh days those have been the type of players that Maine has had success with.

Obviously that strategy works best if you're using those guys to round out a roster alongside a few blue chip guys, rather than relying on it solely.
            Tim finding the unheralded Spencer Abbott is one example. Not many teams wanted him, but he developed and was selected Hockey East player of the year. Need to find more players of that caliber.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

They have a ton of recruits lined up so don’t think it’s necessary to get a lot of guys from portal. Henbrandt and Scott worked out great but most of the guys have been fairly average.
              It seems about 50% since Barr got here. Scott, Herbert, Henbrandt were solid. Have to wait and see on Hanson and Niemo. Hanson was a regular all season as 4th line center this season. Niemo needs to get more aggressive in generating shots, offense.

You would logically conclude Maine would be more attractive with program success and the yield would be better as well. Maybe the additions we can get this time are better as they can see a better program on the rise with a solid core of a squad in a strong league and playing for a rabid fan base.

Scott
              Niemo

Hanson
              Henbrandt
              Michaelian
              Mucitelli
              Mancenelli

Grant Herbert
              Matt Fawcett

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparkee View Post

It seems about 50% since Barr got here. Scott, Herbert, Henbrandt were solid. Have to wait and see on Hanson and Niemo. Hanson was a regular all season as 4th line center this season. Niemo needs to get more aggressive in generating shots, offense.

You would logically conclude Maine would be more attractive with program success and the yield would be better as well. Maybe the additions we can get this time are better as they can see a better program on the rise with a solid core of a squad in a strong league and playing for a rabid fan base.

Scott
                Niemo

Hanson
                Henbrandt
                Michaelian
                Mucitelli
                Mancenelli

Grant Herbert
                Matt Fawcett
                I though Fawcett was a decent player too, kind of like Hanson this year. The others that haven't been mentioned were all pretty unnoticeable, except for Mucitelli in a bad way since he was a huge disappointment.

Comment

• Anybody seen a new player from Clarkson? Charlie Russell?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Anybody seen a new player from Clarkson? Charlie Russell?
                    I see it on the Goper Hockey Live portal list, and on McMahon's list. Played only 7 games, with 0-0-0, for Clarkson this year before going back to the USHL, where he had 12-8-20 in 32 GP. 72 PIM in those 32 games, and 132 PIM in 60 GP in the USHL last season, but he was +6 in the USHL this year. Looks like a depth piece to me (hopefully), and maybe signals a trend to get a little tougher?

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

I see it on the Goper Hockey Live portal list, and on McMahon's list. Played only 7 games, with 0-0-0, for Clarkson this year before going back to the USHL, where he had 12-8-20 in 32 GP. 72 PIM in those 32 games, and 132 PIM in 60 GP in the USHL last season, but he was +6 in the USHL this year. Looks like a depth piece to me (hopefully), and maybe signals a trend to get a little tougher?
                      Tougher ?? 5' 10" 175
                      Maybe quick,??

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Tougher ?? 5' 10" 175
                        Maybe quick,??
                        I was basing "tougher" on his amount of PIMs he had in his USHL career.

Comment

• Russell is a puzzle. His dad was a longtime NCAA coach. Maybe it's a Carney type deal: depth without costing much.

Comment

• Originally posted by OronoKO View Post
                            Russell is a puzzle. His dad was a longtime NCAA coach. Maybe it's a Carney type deal: depth without costing much.
                            I believe his dad worked with Barr in providence.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I believe his dad worked with Barr in providence.
                              Correct.

Comment

• Trudeau and Hanson entered the portal.

Comment

Working...
                                X