Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Maine Off-season 2024: Insert Pun Here

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • University of Maine Off-season 2024: Insert Pun Here

    Continue...

  • #2
    Here are the highlights of the Cornell vs. Maine game… https://youtu.be/m8QicfHEmic?si=RAuP9-PQpJihbdZK

    I was at the rink so didn’t get best looks at replays. Having watched these highlights it confirmed what I thought about Ostman’s positioning… he was positionally leaving too much open stick side. Hit pause and step through it.

    I think Boija makes all 3 of those saves.

    Comment


    • #3
      Some great games on today. MSU and Quinnipiac each win in OT. Now Michigan up 3-2 on North Dakota with 12 minutes left.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparkee View Post
        Here are the highlights of the Cornell vs. Maine game… https://youtu.be/m8QicfHEmic?si=RAuP9-PQpJihbdZK

        I was at the rink so didn’t get best looks at replays. Having watched these highlights it confirmed what I thought about Ostman’s positioning… he was positionally leaving too much open stick side. Hit pause and step through it.

        I think Boija makes all 3 of those saves.

        "Mack scored twice in Thursday's 3-1 regional semifinal win over the Black Bears. Both of his goals went high blocker, as did Kyle Penney's goal in the first period.

        "In the moment, it's what we saw," said Mack, when asked if that area of the net was a target against Ostman. "I think once the first one went in, we identified it as a spot we wanted to look"

        Comment


        • #5
          Looking at the goaltending on display in other tournament games it becomes apparent what Maine was missing last night.
          ​​​​​

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Looking at the goaltending on display in other tournament games it becomes apparent what Maine was missing last night.
            ​​​​​
            The save made by the Michigan goalie with 40 seconds left… wow, stole the game tying goal there and needed the tip of the glove too. But down goes North Dakota.

            Comment


            • #7
              I was talking with a fellow Maine fan near the parking garage we had both parked in last night, and he agreed with me when I said that the second goal was inexcusable, and he probably should have had one of the two others, maybe both. None of them were tipped in, none of them were particularly screened, and none were a beautiful cross ice tick tack toe pass. The team's play after the second goal was poor enough that I don't want to pin the loss entirely on Ostman, but he was a major factor in a negative fashion.

              I should check the Madison Capitols schedule and see if they have any games yet, I want to see if I can stream them and hopefully catch Berzins in net to actually see him play. Bonus would be also getting to watch Kuzma.

              EDIT: Found this blurb on Madison's website while reading an article about them clinching the playoffs:

              "Patriks Berzins stopped 40/43 shots that came his way on Friday night en route to picking up his 13th win of the season. Over his last four games, the Maine commit has allowed only six goals total including Friday's win. He has picked up a win in five of his last six starts."

              Pretty good!
              Last edited by amkirby10; 03-29-2024, 10:40 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Next year is the big step. I don't know what happened to Ostman but as Fishman'81 said goaltending is what stopped us from the next level it was average. Goodluck to Cornell but their style of play is not a good match for Denver who can match their physicality

                Comment


                • #9
                  And nobody's a good match for BC.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

                  And stay off the lawn!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wally had mentioned that the BC game was chippy. I'm too cheap to pay to watch the games. Was it BC that was chippy? Or are their opponents looking for every opportunity? Because the BU game had a few penalty minutes as well.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

                    And stay off the lawn!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                      I was talking with a fellow Maine fan near the parking garage we had both parked in last night, and he agreed with me when I said that the second goal was inexcusable, and he probably should have had one of the two others, maybe both. None of them were tipped in, none of them were particularly screened, and none were a beautiful cross ice tick tack toe pass. The team's play after the second goal was poor enough that I don't want to pin the loss entirely on Ostman, but he was a major factor in a negative fashion.

                      I should check the Madison Capitols schedule and see if they have any games yet, I want to see if I can stream them and hopefully catch Berzins in net to actually see him play. Bonus would be also getting to watch Kuzma.

                      EDIT: Found this blurb on Madison's website while reading an article about them clinching the playoffs:

                      "Patriks Berzins stopped 40/43 shots that came his way on Friday night en route to picking up his 13th win of the season. Over his last four games, the Maine commit has allowed only six goals total including Friday's win. He has picked up a win in five of his last six starts."

                      Pretty good!
                      sounds good. Did you find if they have any free streaming? Or do you have to pay through hockeytv?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        Wally had mentioned that the BC game was chippy. I'm too cheap to pay to watch the games. Was it BC that was chippy? Or are their opponents looking for every opportunity? Because the BU game had a few penalty minutes as well.
                        Earlier in the game Perrault of BC got kicked out and assessed a 5 minute major and game misconduct for hitting to the head elbowing.

                        Later in the game a Michigan Tech guy also got a 5 minute major for blindsiding Leonard a BC forward and hit him in the head. After the BC guy took exception and the two teams all got into it and one Michigan Tech guy ripped off a BC kids helmet and took him down on the ice in a head lock. So this sent multiple players in the box. BC scored two goals at least on that 5 minute power play.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sparkee did a good job describing the BC MTU game. It got pretty physical near the end. perrault shot to the head was nasty, he might have got another game if done in regular season. MTU followed suit with their own dirty shot and then the melee started. I was glad to see BC score as much as they could at the end of game.

                          Interesting as dominant as UND used to be as the Fighting Sioux, they are no longer that team. I'm still pulling for Cornell to get to F4
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                          Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Sparkee did a good job describing the BC MTU game. It got pretty physical near the end. perrault shot to the head was nasty, he might have got another game if done in regular season. MTU followed suit with their own dirty shot and then the melee started. I was glad to see BC score as much as they could at the end of game.

                            Interesting as dominant as UND used to be as the Fighting Sioux, they are no longer that team. I'm still pulling for Cornell to get to F4
                            Agreed. Cheer for eastern teams once Maine is out.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              And nobody's a good match for BC.
                              Nobody's a good match for Quinnipiac this time of year either.
                              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

                              Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                              BC - 12
                              BU - 2

                              BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X