Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2024 Off-Season: Was 2023 – 2024 Just a Bad Dream?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Definitely easier than when I was there.
    yes it is - and they have electricity and motor cars now also!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Today is 7 June 2024. There are 120 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2024 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

yes it is - and they have electricity and motor cars now also!!
        and even motor cars which run by electricity
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• For those interested, the Business Review did an article (there is a pay wall) featuring Schmidt and his efforts to jump start an RPI / Rensselaer County / Capital Region business incubator efforts in downtown Troy, after the previous operation was mothballed about ten years ago. He is modeling the effort after MIT's extremely successful Kendall Square in Cambridge which he was closely involved in.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...-building.html
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

and even motor cars which run by electricity
            Not anything I would be interested in. Far too many negatives and unanswered questions yet for me. Was thinking about what the market will be for a used EV about 5-10 years down the road and what you could expect to either sell one for or trade in. Not sure many folks want to take on an old battery that costs quite a bit to replace and one that may not be readily available if needed.

Comment

• Today is 8 June 2024. There are 119 days (17 weeks) until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• From Friday's Times Union... signs of the times for higher education?

http://www.timesunion.com/education/...s-19496701.php

Comment

• Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                  From Friday's Times Union... signs of the times for higher education?

http://www.timesunion.com/education/...s-19496701.php
                  For those of us who don't subscribe, could you summarize what is mentioned about RPI, if anything??
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Per Ralph's request
                    There is no mention of RPI in the article. Given the arc of Pres. Jackson's tenure, many of us on this board were critical of how RPI was being managed. Pres. Schmidt has earned praise in his brief time in office. Many (most?) colleges will face problems (declining enrollment, relevance of courses, online alternatives, parents/students pushing back on cost of college degree, etc) like the ones Union is beginning to address. How has RPI positioned themselves to address this challenge? And what will it mean for RPI (endowment between $850-900 million)?

Overview of Article (it's end of the day for me... hope I'm doing this justice)
                    Moody's Investors Services 'has downgraded Union College to a "negative" financial outlook' predicting a 'multiyear budget deficit, criticizing the college for offering too much financial aid to fill its classes.' The Times Union article did not report when Moody's issued this assessment.

Union College administrators met with their faculty last week to recommend starting a curriculum task force to consider two to three new majors, which would likely be interdisciplinary majors that included engineering. Only 70 of 192 faculty voted to support the task force. Arts and humanities professors are feeling this proposal undervalues their fields. Administrators said there was 'no budget for new positions', so faculty were wondering how many current positions would be cut to accommodate new interdisciplinary majors. And where would the cuts be?

Union identifies itself as a liberal arts and engineering college. The problem described in this article will put new stresses on that balance.

This task force is not in response to declining enrollment which has been steady around 2,000 undergrads. There was no mention in the article of increasing enrollment or the size of college. It's thought that new majors would be in emerging fields that were in demand which would draw more applicants. They "seek more students who would not require hefty financial aid to attend." "In order to be able to cut back on financial aid, you need to have the demand... you need the curriculum the students clamor for."

Union administrators say this is not like St. Rose or Wells, two other private New York colleges that closed this month. Union's endowment: about $500 million. "This is not some desperate effort to stave off the inevitable by gutting programs." Administrators want to begin the discussion now, "the world's not going to wait for it to take five years."
                    Last edited by fr. joe; 06-08-2024, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Today is 9 June 2024. There are 118 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 10 June 2024. There are 117 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Not anything I would be interested in. Far too many negatives and unanswered questions yet for me. Was thinking about what the market will be for a used EV about 5-10 years down the road and what you could expect to either sell one for or trade in. Not sure many folks want to take on an old battery that costs quite a bit to replace and one that may not be readily available if needed.
                          I completely agree Doc. I did a quick check and you can buy a used 2023 Tesla Model 3 for around $25k. The new price varies depending on the battery size (range) but it looks a nicely equipped model starting around $38k. So roughly 1/3 depreciation in year 1........no thanks!
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Not sure if it was mentioned here but RPI will host Maine 11/30-12/1

Comment

• Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
                              Not sure if it was mentioned here but RPI will host Maine 11/30-12/1
                              The Return of Ben Barr
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I completely agree Doc. I did a quick check and you can buy a used 2023 Tesla Model 3 for around $25k. The new price varies depending on the battery size (range) but it looks a nicely equipped model starting around $38k. So roughly 1/3 depreciation in year 1........no thanks!
                                As a toy or in certain very limited circumstances these EV's can make some sense but for most of us, our driving needs and habits just make them a rather poor choice. i wonder what the effect of the salt used on the roads to help melt the ice and snow in Troy does to the battery underneath an EV? We know all too well what salt water can do as a close friend in Florida lost his Tesla to an incredibly hot fire after sea water flooded his neighborhood during a coastal storm.

Comment

Working...
                                X