RPI 2023-24 (Part II): The Search for Special Teams Excellence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

Thank you for the Matthews update. Obviously, I have not been there for quite some time now. However, right after NU bought it from the city (for $1 if I recall correctly) and spent a whole lot renovating it, the place was really something. Too bad that, apparently, they didn't do it to last as they now appear to be right back where they were in the early 80's. If you do renovate, you have to do it right.

This may be a double whammy for NU as, I believe, they play hoops at Matthews too.
    No problem. It’s a shame that they didn’t do it right cause it’s a nice barn. Old place

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

I like the picture of the "state-of-the-art video room." It looks like a small, windows-less conference room with a 43" TV hanging on the wall. Compared to the stadium seating rooms with massive screens that are common in college athletics, it's almost funny. Our state-of-the-art calendar subscription must have run out about 20 years ago.
      Exactly right 82.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

The M & W locker rooms look nearly identical to me. https://rpiathletics.com/sports/2010...8.aspx?id=2762 It states that the video room is shared. I can't comment on the other parts.
        Thanks RB.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Like the city, it's a campus built on a hill...not all that unusual here in the northeast. Parking garages are insanely expensive to build, for what you end up with...and as has been pointed out, it would all be for 16 or so home games and then sit empty for the other 345 days of the year. On a busy night (Freakout) I think the delay in leaving MIGHT be ten minutes... try that in any other city parking environment ! Union has essentially ZERO fan parking. If you think the sidewalks at RPI are bad, you haven't been to a winter game at Union...Schenectady is city where street plowing is optional...never mind cleared sidewalks ! LOL

Comment

The only time I was ever at Matthews was on 3/4/69 when RPI lost 4-2 to BU in a first round ECAC playoff game. It was still called the Boston Arena then.
            FYI - this article was in CHN two days ago. The school is looking at the future of Matthews - but from Madigan's comments it doesn't appear that anything is imminent.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...---Fix-or-.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post

I have a soft spot for Appleton as my daughter is going to SLU. I’m very excited to see what the study finds for HFH.
              Agreed --it is one of the remaining great old barns in college hockey ! I wasn't dismissing the work --only that the fan/game viewing experience is essentially unchanged. I too am hopeful that the HFH study will lead us to a either a fully renovated HFH or a new building. I'd be OK with either !

Comment

In reality, the shuttle probably is not going to survive much past this season (unless they are really as stupid as they sometimes seem). Just not used by enough people to result in enough ticket sales to justify the cost. Excluding Freakout, have never been on it in either direction with a ridership figure that reached 10. On one trip to the Fieldhouse, the ridership was one (me)!!!
                The last time I was at the Field House was for the playoff series against Brown in 2013, when I was a spry young fellow of 64. There is little reason to think that those in charge should be eager to cater to my desires in regard to parking.

But when I went in 2013, I parked at the Alumni House and took the shuttle, and it was standing room only. It was enjoyable, because I actually encountered one of my RPI classmates on the bus.

In the event that I might seriously consider making the long trip from south central Pennsylvania to Troy to see RPI hockey again in the future, I would be sorry to hear that the shuttle option was no longer available.

Comment

Thank you for the Matthews update. Obviously, I have not been there for quite some time now. However, right after NU bought it from the city (for $1 if I recall correctly) and spent a whole lot renovating it, the place was really something. Too bad that, apparently, they didn't do it to last as they now appear to be right back where they were in the early 80's. If you do renovate, you have to do it right.

This may be a double whammy for NU as, I believe, they play hoops at Matthews too.
                  I was at Matthews a few weeks ago. Very large external steel support beams have been erected in the parking lot to keep the south wall of the building stable. It's a great building but it looks like the clock is ticking on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    Like the city, it's a campus built on a hill...not all that unusual here in the northeast. Parking garages are insanely expensive to build, for what you end up with...and as has been pointed out, it would all be for 16 or so home games and then sit empty for the other 345 days of the year. On a busy night (Freakout) I think the delay in leaving MIGHT be ten minutes... try that in any other city parking environment ! Union has essentially ZERO fan parking. If you think the sidewalks at RPI are bad, you haven't been to a winter game at Union...Schenectady is city where street plowing is optional...never mind cleared sidewalks ! LOL
                    If the Institute decides to stick with the current HFH footprint, you could build a parking garage directly behind the Field House (between HFH and East Campus Arena) hat presumably would be close enough to all facilities to provide parking not only for hockey but also for basketball, football, and any other events on that part of campus (e.g. Commencement).

Comment

• Since I don't live in the Tri-City area, whenever l have been at the HFH in this millennium and even before that, I also wanted to also watch the pregame skate. I used to park on the east side of the HFH, but more recently I parked on Burdette just north of Peoples. That is no problem because I got there before 99% of the other spectators.

BTW, I got the feeling that from other posts here that the lot south of the HFH is for the HFH. I thought that it was for those living in the BARH. Am I wrong?
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-22-2024, 05:21 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        If you think the sidewalks at RPI are bad, you haven't been to a winter game at Union...Schenectady is city where street plowing is optional...never mind cleared sidewalks ! LOL
                        Oh, I agree, but a slip and fall on private property will be RPI's problem to pay out on. That doesn't justify a parking garage, but the building and grounds staff need to be more attentive when there are events on campus when bad weather is expected, or be properly compensated with overtime to keep walkways clear.

Comment

Since I don't live in the Tri-City area, whenever l have been at the HFH in this millennium and even before that, I also want to also watch the pregame skate. I used to park on the east side of the HFH, but more recently I park on Burdette just east of Peoples. That is no problem because I get there before 99% of the other spectators.

BTW, I got the feeling that from other posts here that the lot south of the HFH is for the HFH. I thought that it was for those living in the BARH. Am I wrong?
                          I think most of the prime parking in the lots adjacent to the rink are reserved for those that pay for a parking pass--although some spaces are reserved for residents of those dormitories. In recent years, plenty of parking within easy distance on Peoples Avenue or around Samaritan, as you have highlighted, if you don't mind that short hill up to HFH.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            ** I strongly suspect that is one of the reasons they lost their affiliation in the MiLB reorganization. The Joe is a better stadium and drew better crowds than the one in Fishkill in the shadow of two prisons. However, it's one thing to play in a summer only short-season league when many commuter students aren't around and parking spaces are readily available. It's quite another when you have a new schedule that extends from the early part of April to mid-September (longer if in playoffs).
                            I agree with the rest of your post, but offer a comment on the ValleyCats situation. The team recently settled a lawsuit with MLB over their exclusion from the new structure. Some people who follow the team more closely have offered that the decision was not based on merit, but I think you have hit on where the practical issues were. The Joe was also a shared facility with HVCC for use by the school's baseball team, but with only one set of locker-rooms, meaning there would be some scheduling conflicts. Because they didn't own the park, the team didn't have control of when needed facilities upgrades could occur.

Comment

• This hole in the ground in Troy looks like the perfect size for a new RPI hockey arena. Only sort of joking: https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...1-18680956.php

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Oh, I agree, but a slip and fall on private property will be RPI's problem to pay out on. That doesn't justify a parking garage, but the building and grounds staff need to be more attentive when there are events on campus when bad weather is expected, or be properly compensated with overtime to keep walkways clear.
                                Completely agree with this ! And these days with all of the motorized equipment, all we're really talking about is one piece of sidewalk machinery which usually has a power broom on the front and a salter on the back. Not hard to achieve ...to your point.

Comment

Working...
                                X