Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

I know you love Seth
    Like a brother, I'm going to Amerks game tomorrow night, I'll send him your best.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

Like a brother, I'm going to Amerks game tomorrow night, I'll send him your best.
      Please do. The few times I met him he seemed like a great guy. One doesn't have to dislike a coach to recognize that things were headed downhill towards the end of his tenure. That included weak recruiting at the end such that the 19-20 team was predominantly Smith recruits, not Seth's. Bill Belichick was a great coach in NE, but things declined at the end. It happens.

Originally posted by CMcGarvey View Post
      Interesting you bring up the recruits at that time. I honestly feel like a lot of them were better recruits than they turned out college players. Conger looks really good and went to Providence briefly so clearly he was talented. Ohrvall was considered a good recruit. Owen stout and Modry were pretty decent at the time. Interesting that despite them never coming they never panned out to be good college players
      Perhaps true. I'm not close enough to the recruiting minds to know who was considered a recruiting "win" at the time. I just know that the recruits left by Seth didn't pan out in the ultimate test - what they did in college. In fact, what would have been Seth's 2017 class included just one guy that had a decent college career, Linden Marshall - and he was not the guy in net for success in 19-20.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

Put together the 25th anniversary weekend of 85 Champions (brought Addesa back for it), raised Garry Kearns banner HFH and others, there is a hockey alum only weekend to get everyone together that was started under him, etc, etc etc
        IMO Appert does deserve credit for adding some banners to the Ring of Honor. I don't think that someone should now be added every year since we don't have a player like Oates, Chiarelli, Brinkworth, etc. in every class (wish we did), but every few years someone should be added. I realize that part of the reason for the RoH is to increase attendance when someone is honored, but I don't think that Smith has added anyone.

I suspect that no women are in the RoH for the attendance reason, but Selander and Acropolis are both deserving.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph, Polacek should be up there yesterday. Without a doubt, they should make this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcGarvey View Post
            Ralph, Polacek should be up there yesterday. Without a doubt, they should make this happen.
            I know the discussions is geared toward Seth recruits, but let’s get Matt Murley, Marc Cavosie and Joel Laing up there first. I’ve long thought Don Birkmeyer should be up there, too.

Didn’t Seth get rid of the stage?
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post

I know the discussions is geared toward Seth recruits, but let’s get Matt Murley, Marc Cavosie and Joel Laing up there first. I’ve long thought Don Birkmeyer should be up there, too.

Good point about Birkmayer. I had not thought about him.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

IMO Appert does deserve credit for adding some banners to the Ring of Honor. I don't think that someone should now be added every year since we don't have a player like Oates, Chiarelli, Brinkworth, etc. in every class (wish we did), but every few years someone should be added. I realize that part of the reason for the RoH is to increase attendance when someone is honored, but I don't think that Smith has added anyone.

I suspect that no women are in the RoH for the attendance reason, but Selander and Acropolis are both deserving.
                Excellent point about the women. Both those ladies have put up numbers that may never be approached in the program again. Selander's save total, Acropolis' number of goals.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I like your three choices.
                  I would like to add Brad Tapper and Pothier to the list.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

The Hockey Coach nor rhe athletic dept.have any say re: HFH it is an entity all it's own in fact the hockey team is a tenant. My recollection is a couple of things happend first a band member fell down the stairs and they started worrying about someone falling off the side or other pitfalls it was not only a liability issue but they didn't want to see anyon get hurt. The other issue was simply storage there is no attic or basement and they just needed the space to put "stuff" and that made sense I'm sure it was discussed by all parties but the ultimate decesion was made by HFH admin. Make no mistake Seth loved the band and saw great value in their participation in fact I believe it was Dartmouth and it was a cold ****ty night and a treacherous drive and Seth made the players go out to the parking lot and applaud the band as they got on their bus. He loved the band !!!
                    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post

The Hockey Coach nor rhe athletic dept.have any say re: HFH it is an entity all it's own in fact the hockey team is a tenant. My recollection is a couple of things happend first a band member fell down the stairs and they started worrying about someone falling off the side or other pitfalls it was not only a liability issue but they didn't want to see anyon get hurt. The other issue was simply storage there is no attic or basement and they just needed the space to put "stuff" and that made sense I'm sure it was discussed by all parties but the ultimate decesion was made by HFH admin. Make no mistake Seth loved the band and saw great value in their participation in fact I believe it was Dartmouth and it was a cold ****ty night and a treacherous drive and Seth made the players go out to the parking lot and applaud the band as they got on their bus. He loved the band !!!
                      That is so bizarre so who the hell owns the field house?

Comment

Originally posted by Engineers View Post
                        That is so bizarre so who the hell owns the field house?
                        The school does but it is managed seperate from the athletic dept.at least it used to be . At one time it was a major concert venue (gooogle concerts RPI fieldhouse) I saw Bruce Springsteen and the Greatfull Dead there I saw Mike Tyson fight his first professional fight against Joe Frazier's son Marvis and the Ice Capades where their every year and of course the CD Islanders played their home games there so as you can Imagine this is beyond the capabilites of a Hockey Team or Athletic Dept. So it had its own management structure I believe it remains today as far as I know.
                        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post

The school does but it is managed seperate from the athletic dept.at least it used to be . At one time it was a major concert venue (gooogle concerts RPI fieldhouse) I saw Bruce Springsteen and the Greatfull Dead there I saw Mike Tyson fight his first professional fight against Joe Frazier's son Marvis and the Ice Capades where their every year and of course the CD Islanders played their home games there so as you can Imagine this is beyond the capabilites of a Hockey Team or Athletic Dept. So it had its own management structure I believe it remains today as far as I know.
                          Tyson did have two fights at the HFH, but he fought Frazier in Glens Falls. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tyson
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Tyson did have two fights at the HFH, but he fought Frazier in Glens Falls. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tyson
                            Still sharp Ralph. Was about to share the same information but you beat me to it.

Research shows Tyson fighting in the Capital District 11 times. Four, three of which were his first three pro fights, at the believed to be departed Plaza Convention Center in Albany, three at the Colonie Coliseum (later Latham Coliseum, later yet Starlight and now empty lot), two, including Frazier, at the Glens Falls Civic Center and two (William Hosea and Jesse Furgeson) at the Fieldhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

Still sharp Ralph. Was about to share the same information but you beat me to it.

Research shows Tyson fighting in the Capital District 11 times. Four, three of which were his first three pro fights, at the believed to be departed Plaza Convention Center in Albany, three at the Colonie Coliseum (later Latham Coliseum, later yet Starlight and now empty lot), two, including Frazier, at the Glens Falls Civic Center and two (William Hosea and Jesse Furgeson) at the Fieldhouse.
                              I had to look it up. I knew that he fought twice at the HFH, but I also knew that I had not heard of the opponents. I had not known that Tyson had fought at the HFH until I saw some highlights of his early career and recognized the HFH.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

February 16, 1986 Tyson won in 6 rounds in a TKO against Jesse Ferguson. June 28, 1986 he won in the first round knocking out William Hosea. Neither was a title defense, Tyson didn't become heavyweight champion until November 1986.

Comment

Working...
                                X