RPI 2023-24 (Part II): The Search for Special Teams Excellence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Well we did win earlier this year i Potsdam. OTOH, I doubt that we ever one their twice. (I did not check.)
    I checked. We won there twice in both 2012 and 2015, but both times were best of 3 playoff series. BTW, we lost both times there during the regular season so we never had 3 wins in Potsdam in the same season.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post

I checked. We won there twice in both 2012 and 2015, but both times were best of 3 playoff series. BTW, we lost both times there during the regular season so we never had 3 wins in Potsdam in the same season.
      OTOH, I did have at least 3 typos in my post. :-D
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Except for the top two teams, everyone was beatable. We just didn't have the team to beat any of them.
        Fortunately, this is college hockey and there will be a big turnover in this team next season. I look forward to the team we put on the ice next season.
        I agree. I was at Lynah last night. RPI wasn't terrible, but really didn't trouble Cornell other than a few exchanges. A rather boring game from an RPI perspective. Just feels like the team has been out of gas for a few weeks after not being able to click at all this year. Injuries were part of the equation here but the win loss record reflects the performance level of this team.

I would be really interested to hear some interviews with some of the underclassmen about the season. One thing I didn't like at all this season was the lack of communications out of the team this year, compared to past seasons when post-game interviews, etc. were posted in various places. This made it impossible to connect with the team and to try and understand why the performances were so disappointing.

On to Clarkson. I am at least hoping that the full team of players is available and healthy so they can give it a go.

Comment

• According to the ECAC's website, the Princeton-Harvard and Yale-St. Lawrence playoff games will be on Friday night, while RPI-Clarkson and Brown-Union will be on Saturday.

For whatever small consolation it may be, RPI is assured of not being the first team to begin its offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
            According to the ECAC's website, the Princeton-Harvard and Yale-St. Lawrence playoff games will be on Friday night, while RPI-Clarkson and Brown-Union will be on Saturday.

For whatever small consolation it may be, RPI is assured of not being the first team to begin its offseason.
            I'm not sure if that is good news or bad news for me. If they played Friday, I would not have been able to watch the game. But I will be watching on Saturday.
            Who knows, maybe they will surprise us.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I'm not sure if that is good news or bad news for me. If they played Friday, I would not have been able to watch the game. But I will be watching on Saturday.
              Who knows, maybe they will surprise us.
              We also have a mixed reaction to playing Saturday - we were given tickets to MSG for the Rangers/Blues game. These are seats directly behind the Ranger bench so there is virtually no way we want to miss out on this one. Wishing our boys the best against CCT!!
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• I haven't decided if I will listen since the night from Saturday to Sunday is when we move the clock ahead.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I haven't decided if I will listen since the night from Saturday to Sunday is when we move the clock ahead.
                  You could move it now and beat the rush. That way you will adjust 4-5 days ahead and be ready for the game!
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Anyone know if the RPI assistance coaches are on contract or a year by year basis?

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post
                      Anyone know if the RPI assistance coaches are on contract or a year by year basis?
                      My guess is that they are year to year, but I can't prove it.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

My guess is that they are year to year, but I can't prove it.
                        I was thinking the same thing. If Dave keeps his job I would surely hope he shakes up his coaching staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post

I was thinking the same thing. If Dave keeps his job I would surely hope he shakes up his coaching staff.
                          That's an interesting thought. It doesn't seem likely to me, but what do I know?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Smith needs to be fired. He is terrible. Born and raised in Troy and now residing in the PNW I was jazzed to see that ESPN+ would be showing ECAC and Hockey East games. But watching RPI was tough this year. Just seeing the fieldhouse brought back memories - I spent a good deal of my childhood there. I grew up adoring those guys........Watson, Scammel and Law - were my gym teachers in 6th grade. Watson actually helped me sneak into a sold out game wih Clarkson telling the guard I was a nephew. So its hard to watch a team that plays defense like they did this year. There is definitely a talent need but the coaching is the worst. Be nice to see them upset Clarkson though!!!

Comment

That's an interesting thought. It doesn't seem likely to me, but what do I know?
                              Why doesn’t it seem likely Ralph if I may ask. This year has been a disaster to put it mildly. I can’t imagine any head coach would feel comfortable going into another year with a staff that has allowed 4+ goals a game, worst pk in the nation, one of the worst teams in the country. Last I checked RPI is ahead of 9 teams for pairwise. Last place in a pretty weak ecac. Has been average on offense. Outside of 3/4 recruits the pipeline looks weak. If Dave is to keep his job which I believe he should be fired I can’t imagine he rolls with this staff. Nearly coaching malpractice on his part. All successful programs have very good assistants.

Comment

• Ken Schott's playoff preview article on the weekend series'. He mentions RPI's "awful season" and whether Smith could be in trouble, which is the first I've seen in writing. It certainly hasn't been mentioned on any TV or sports radio programs.

https://www.dailygazette.com/sports/...6NDyTgB5RJtHxc
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X