RPI 2023-24 (Part II): The Search for Special Teams Excellence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

If Brown gets two more points than RPI does on Saturday then RPI will indeed finish last as pointed out above by our esteemed colleague. Should that happen, it will be for the first time in 58 years (57 not counting the year RPI was not allowed to play). Ironically, with the exception of two games the previous season, it was my first full season of attending most of the games. What a start!!!

They were winless in ECAC play that year. Should anyone be wondering where the hell the three non ECAC wins came from, the list is as follows:

1) Opening night against the University of Pennsylvania who were playing their very first varsity game ever as a rebooted program. They were an independent in that very first year and would join the ECAC one year later. Their head coach was Jim Salfi who would later be hired by RPI.

2) Christmas tournament against non Division 1 Middlebury against whom they lost a rematch at Middlebury around a week or so later.

3) Mid week game later that season against non Division 1 Hamilton. Thankfully and fortunately, there was no at Hamilton rematch scheduled.

And our coach that year, Garry Kearns, is now in the Ring of Honor. I don't expect Smith to be so honored. :-D

FWIW, the Middlebury loss was 17 days later.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

And our coach that year, Garry Kearns, is now in the Ring of Honor. I don't expect Smith to be so honored. :-D

Congratulations to Dave smith and co for running the program right into the ground. All fans and alumni should send thank you emails to Dave for doing something that hasn’t been done in 58 years. Truly an amazing achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Ralph Good news is we’re at rock bottom so nowhere to go but up. Lol
        I bet you can’t wait to watch tonight’s game vs Cornell. Should be a real beauty of a game

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post
          Congratulations to Dave smith and co for running the program right into the ground. All fans and alumni should send thank you emails to Dave for doing something that hasn’t been done in 58 years. Truly an amazing achievement
          11 different players took face offs last night including a D Man. Not putting players in a position to succeed
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
            Tonight’s loss leaves RPI in 11th place. They cannot finish any higher and a Brown win and RPI loss means we finish dead last.
            The only teams that we can play in the one-game playoff is either Dartmouth, Clarkson or Union. All of course on the road.
            Finally, tonight’s loss was RPI’s 20th of the season.
            RPI will surely be a decided underdog no matter which of those three teams they play.

Not that it should affect the way they play in their final regular-season game tonight, but I would assume they would prefer to play Union in the playoff, if only because the bus ride home will be mercifully shorter than if they play in Hanover or Potsdam.

Comment

Tonight’s loss leaves RPI in 11th place. They cannot finish any higher and a Brown win and RPI loss means we finish dead last.
              The only teams that we can play in the one-game playoff is either Dartmouth, Clarkson or Union. All of course on the road.
              Finally, tonight’s loss was RPI’s 20th of the season.
              We need a win tonight in regulation to ensure that we finish no lower than eighth place and get home ice for the one-and-done. We also have a chance to jump SLU because they are playing Quinny. So, no worries, we'll take care of business, and you get to avoid last place.

Comment

If Brown gets two more points than RPI does on Saturday then RPI will indeed finish last as pointed out above by our esteemed colleague. Should that happen, it will be for the first time in 58 years (57 not counting the year RPI was not allowed to play). Ironically, with the exception of two games the previous season, it was my first full season of attending most of the games. What a start!!!

They were winless in ECAC play that year. Should anyone be wondering where the hell the three non ECAC wins came from, the list is as follows:

1) Opening night against the University of Pennsylvania who were playing their very first varsity game ever as a rebooted program. They were an independent in that very first year and would join the ECAC one year later. Their head coach was Jim Salfi who would later be hired by RPI.

2) Christmas tournament against non Division 1 Middlebury against whom they lost a rematch at Middlebury around a week or so later.

3) Mid week game later that season against non Division 1 Hamilton. Thankfully and fortunately, there was no at Hamilton rematch scheduled.

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Ralph: it seems like you have been around long enough to at least have some familiarity with the subject matter.

For amusement purposes only (not to be screaming for anybody's head), I managed to find what I believe is as accurate a reflection of the actual 1965-1966 standings as there is going to be anywhere almost six decades later. It has a Wikipedia page all to itself that comes up by searching ECAC hockey standings 1965 1966. For unknown reasons best left to the geeks of RPI, this site won't let me attach the page.

Note the informality of those times as reflected in the games played column. Not only were you not required to play everyone but you played however many games you cared to play against whom you wanted to play them against!!! In addition and to the best of my memory, if two of these teams were to meet up somewhere along the way in a Holiday tournament or the Beanpot, then what the hell!!! It was counted in the standings too.

Also, as best as I recall, in those days RPI was also a member of a three team conference called the ICAC with Clarkson and SLU. They finished last in that too, obviously!!!

No, we are not at our lowest point ever. Not even a chance. Not even close.

Comment

• Giveaway in the neutral zone, terrible backcheck 1-0 Cornell. Le sigh.
                  RPI 2010 ECACHL Champions

http://rpihockey.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RPIfanNYC View Post
                    Giveaway in the neutral zone, terrible backcheck 1-0 Cornell. Le sigh.
                    We have a game thread. https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...cornell-3-2-24
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• According to live stats Brown just got two points by winning a shootout. We finished last.

Comment

According to live stats Brown just got two points by winning a shootout. We finished last.
                        Yep. First time in 58 years. A long trip to Potsdam awaits…

Comment

Yep. First time in 58 years. A long trip to Potsdam awaits…
                          Congratulations to Dave smith. Way to really inspire us all to watch this bull****. Clarkson is hot right now so yeah there’s that.
                          58 years and this clown shows up

Comment

• Well we did win earlier this year in Potsdam. OTOH, I doubt that we ever won there twice. (I did not check.)
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-03-2024, 10:57 AM. Reason: typos
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Tough season for the players and fans. But traveling Engineer fans are great folks -- got to meet some of them this weekend.

Comment

According to live stats Brown just got two points by winning a shootout. We finished last.
                                We got what we deserved.
                                Colgate went into this weekend with a .500 record and were locked into a top four position in the standings.
                                Except for the top two teams, everyone was beatable. We just didn't have the team to beat any of them.
                                Fortunately, this is college hockey and there will be a big turnover in this team next season. I look forward to the team we put on the ice next season.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X