RPI 2023-24 (Part II): The Search for Special Teams Excellence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I personally believe that the problem is made worse by posts here. It has been stated before that the players are not allowed to read this, but that doesn't mean that they don't learn what is written.
    Sooooo you think putting this board aside everything is good and the future is bright ?
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by troyboy View Post

Sooooo you think putting this board aside everything is good and the future is bright ?
      You know that I don't think that everything is good, and I do think that we are going downhill, and we were already going downhill before Smith showed up. (I don't mean downhill to the Hudson riverfront. ;-) ) It is correctible. Whether it is correctible with the current staff, I don't know. At the moment I do have faith that Pres. Schmidt can solve the problem. Getting rid of Shirley was step one by RPI, but there is a lot of momentum in the hockey program, so it is still going downhill, and it isn't and shouldn't be Pres. Schmidt's top concern. When Smith came there was some improvement for a short time, but then we started going downhill again.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• BTW, good luck to the RPI women in a couple of hours,
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

BTW, good luck to the RPI women in a couple of hours,
          They should have a decent chance to move on. A lot will depend on goal tending but also how the officiating influences the game. Hopefully this game will be decided by the players on the ice and not the skaters wearing the stripes.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I personally believe that the problem is made worse by posts here. It has been stated before that the players are not allowed to read this, but that doesn't mean that they don't learn what is written.
            This thread has zero impact on anything. Young 20 yr old players could care less about what is written here.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

It is correctible. Whether it is correctible with the current staff, I don't know.
              They have lost 20 games every season here except one. Pretty decent metric to answer this question.

"Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                They have lost 20 games every season here except one. Pretty decent metric to answer this question.
                I agree, and I have been thinking this statistic as well. At the same time, I also think nothing changes until at least the current season ends, and probably not until after the Frozen Four. As Ralph indicated, we don't know much at this stage about what President Schmidt and Dr. Bowers believe is the best path forward. I think it's safe to say no one - no one - is happy or satisfied with the current state of the program. Some folks just choose not to vocalize it as much. While I understand some folks want to vent after each loss, personally I don't do it because I don't see the point, it's not changing any minds (especially now). I'm sure there will be a discussion about the future sometime in the next several weeks. I hope we will know more soon, about both the Field House and the future of the program, and it seems that would be the time really have this discussion and get it all out on the table.

Anyone reading our threads knows a lot of us are upset and want a change, and some of us have wanted a change for awhile, and others have been willing to give things more time. For those of us who remember the Glory Days, the last two decades have, on the whole, been quite a fall from where we once were. What impact the comments on here have on the team/program is anyone's guess, although I think Ralph was suggesting people talk and hockey is a surprisingly small world, and I'm sure the players, parents, Smith, Bowers, and Schmidt know how most fans feel, whether they read what's posted here or not. I also suspect many of them feel the same way we do. Smith I am sure knows the program is not anywhere near where it is expected to be, pandemic or not. It will be up to Schmidt and Bowers to address that in the way they deem best for the school and the program.

That said, I'm with these guys until the bitter end, whenever and wherever that may be. LGR!

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

The good news is that you get to play the Crimson tonight. We are having one of the worst seasons in program history and last night got smoked by Union.
                  I have a funny feeling you guys will do just fine agains RPI.
                  Last edited by Engineers; 02-24-2024, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• While the last two decades have been nothing to write home about, this is by far the most frustrating of those seasons.
                    I blame it all on the OOC schedule at the beginning of the season. We came out of that period with no confidence and a lot of negative experiences.
                    And that is all on the coaching staff. They set us up for what we have right now.
                    Also, we have had the same problems on the ice for the entire season. No adjustments and no changes in the system. On top of that, no leadership from either the team or the coaches.
                    This year, except for Quinnipiac, the ECAC was ripe for the taking. And we came out of the gate with nothing but the memory of what the OOC games left us.
                    We have a lot of seniors and grad students leaving, so the team will change. Now all we need is someone to lead them.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

• Since the 80s glory years my family and many friends and a great many on this thread have faithfully cheered and followed this program around the country. I believe we've reached the low point in my lifetime...and I take no pleasure in admitting this.

Effort and good intentions aside, sometimes you just have to make a change to reset and wipe the slate clean. I think we have reached this point at RPI. Whatever the system is that Smitty is preaching, it simply isn't working.

Schmidt has plenty to tackle aside from Athletics, but he and Dr. Bowers certainly have a decision to make in the off-season. Whether they will make a change with 3 (?) years remaining on the contract remains to be seen. But the faithful are at the end of their rope and frankly I'm not sure they can afford to not make a change.

Our boys deserve better, IMO.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        Since the 80s glory years my family and many friends and a great many on this thread have faithfully cheered and followed this program around the country. I believe we've reached the low point in my lifetime...and I take no pleasure in admitting this.

Effort and good intentions aside, sometimes you just have to make a change to reset and wipe the slate clean. I think we have reached this point at RPI. Whatever the system is that Smitty is preaching, it simply isn't working.

Schmidt has plenty to tackle aside from Athletics, but he and Dr. Bowers certainly have a decision to make in the off-season. Whether they will make a change with 3 (?) years remaining on the contract remains to be seen. But the faithful are at the end of their rope and frankly I'm not sure they can afford to not make a change.

+1 Well said. This can be turned around but sometimes it requires change. Congrats to the Seniors on their careers at RPI.

Comment

Since the 80s glory years my family and many friends and a great many on this thread have faithfully cheered and followed this program around the country. I believe we've reached the low point in my lifetime...and I take no pleasure in admitting this.

The 3 years needs to be worked through the university. Theirs ways to mitigate such loss. They fired appert to supposedly turn the program around. If this is their idea of turning the program around then theirs no point in paying any attention to hockey. Sure if you’re dedicated and have nothing to do go for it. I have tons of **** to do I’m not investing much more time and money into this until the university invest more money and time into it. Clean house and get serious people in charge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post
                            The 3 years needs to be worked through the university. Theirs ways to mitigate such loss. They fired appert to supposedly turn the program around. If this is their idea of turning the program around then theirs no point in paying any attention to hockey. Sure if you’re dedicated and have nothing to do go for it. I have tons of **** to do I’m not investing much more time and money into this until the university invest more money and time into it. Clean house and get serious people in charge.
                            I understand it is certainly possible. The question is will they...
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I understand it is certainly possible. The question is will they...
                              If they don’t then they have accepted mediocrity. Balls in their court

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                I blame it all on the OOC schedule at the beginning of the season.
                                I am struck by this reflection, if only because this year's schedule appeared to be a positive. Coach Smith was getting dragged for scheduling weaker out-of-conference in prior seasons, with some suggesting that we RPI wasn't prepared for the ECAC season as a result. For sure, reasonable people can disagree on this. Part of the problem is that RPI has rarely had a good team in the last 20 years to assess the pros and cons of playing a tough non-conference slate.

I think the early schedule is a bit of a non-factor in assessing the season as a whole, especially by this juncture. But that doesn't really change the conclusion reached, that--barring a miraculous run in the playoffs--this season has been really disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                X