Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Pairwise and Tournament Qualification Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    So my understanding is they don't care about top seed having early game anymore because of the off day in between. And on that topic, I HATE that they went to this Thursday-Sunday format. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It makes attendance concerns that much worse.
    Adds travel costs for people like me coming up from NY City.

    Comment


    • #62
      Have game times for the regionals been announced yet?

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Have game times for the regionals been announced yet?
        Springfield and Providence are both 2/530 and 4 on the weekend.

        Sioux Falls and Maryland Heights are 4/730 and 5.
        Last edited by ticapnews; 03-18-2024, 02:28 PM.

        Comment


        • #64
          OK thanks. Off to suggest a new time for my Q1 check in with my boss!

          Comment


          • #65
            How about:

            BC tanks the game to UMass, so that UMass ends up a #3, and then everyone is happy. At least as long as either UND or DU lose on Friday, and MSU wins the B10. Then you have only 1 NCHC #1 seed, and so the opponents for BU and the NCHC Champ are flipped, and BU plays CC and UND/DU plays RIT (or something like you, you get the idea).

            That's not bad for the committee. Let Cornell win, and it's better yet.

            Comment


            • #66
              Is there a reason the semifinal round in Maryland Heights is already sold out? Lots of Wolverine and Spartan fans anticipating potential brackets early?

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Is there a reason the semifinal round in Maryland Heights is already sold out? Lots of Wolverine and Spartan fans anticipating potential brackets early?
                Isn't it a ridiculously small place to begin with? I suppose ticket speculators could be buying them up to scalp out later. The true test of how messed up ticketing for sporting events will be how many butts in seats happen in that small rink.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Is there a reason the semifinal round in Maryland Heights is already sold out? Lots of Wolverine and Spartan fans anticipating potential brackets early?
                  Does the rink have seats?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by J.D. View Post

                    Does the rink have seats?
                    Depends on your definition of a seat...

                    The center features four rinks: a "feature" rink with 2,500 tip-up seats...

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by J.D. View Post

                      If they are dead set on avoiding intra conference in round one...

                      Providence:

                      1. BC (1)
                      2. Quinnipiac (7)
                      3. Wisconsin (9)
                      4. Colorado College (14)

                      Springfield (UMass host):

                      1. BU (2)
                      2. Michigan State (5)
                      3. Massachusetts (12)
                      4. Western Michigan (13)

                      Sioux Falls (Omaha host):

                      1. North Dakota (3)
                      2. Minnesota (8)
                      3. Omaha (11)
                      4. Bemidji State/Michigan Tech (16)

                      Missouri:

                      1. Denver (4)
                      2. Maine (6)
                      3. Michigan (10)
                      4. RIT/AIC (15)

                      Wisconsin is closest to Maryland Heights so you could swap the Maine/Michigan and QU/Wisconsin games here if anyone cares.
                      If you drill down on this one-adhering to that sacrosanct rule, obliterates any adherence to the #1 vs. #16, #2 vs. #15 in round one. Also destroys seeding integrity for the regional finals, where #1 should face #8, #2 vs. #7, #3 vs #6, #4 vs. #5. This might be the year where the committee realizes they are upending all other seeding rules, to remain stuck on the ancient (but admirable) thought that intra conference matchups should be avoided. Lastly, there are 5 NCHC teams in your tournament above, which allows them to wean off this criteria.
                      If Cornell were to pull a huge upset and win ECAC, they could face North Dakota, and Bemidji could face BC.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Seacaptim View Post

                        If you drill down on this one-adhering to that sacrosanct rule, obliterates any adherence to the #1 vs. #16, #2 vs. #15 in round one. Also destroys seeding integrity for the regional finals, where #1 should face #8, #2 vs. #7, #3 vs #6, #4 vs. #5. This might be the year where the committee realizes they are upending all other seeding rules, to remain stuck on the ancient (but admirable) thought that intra conference matchups should be avoided. Lastly, there are 5 NCHC teams in your tournament above, which allows them to wean off this criteria.
                        If Cornell were to pull a huge upset and win ECAC, they could face North Dakota, and Bemidji could face BC.
                        "Huge" upset? They beat the Q in the regular season and have had a very good season! Not really a huge upset!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Correction to “upset”. It looks like you split with Q, losing by 4 on road, and winning by 1 at home. I see where Q has faltered often in ECAC tournament over the years, despite having performed so well during regular season.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by BigRedBeer View Post

                            "Huge" upset? They beat the Q in the regular season and have had a very good season! Not really a huge upset!
                            Geez, now you know how to set off a fan of a state school hockey team

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              I heard Adam Wodon talking about this and it makes sense in extreme cases. There is nothing that says the committee has to band teams into a seed and stick to that. Just as an example, let's use #12 and #13 in PWR. If you are comfortable moving teams around within a band there really shouldn't be an issue if you flip flop 12 and 13 if it will alleviate the headaches that we could potentially run into here.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                I heard Adam Wodon talking about this and it makes sense in extreme cases. There is nothing that says the committee has to band teams into a seed and stick to that. Just as an example, let's use #12 and #13 in PWR. If you are comfortable moving teams around within a band there really shouldn't be an issue if you flip flop 12 and 13 if it will alleviate the headaches that we could potentially run into here.
                                Why bother using Pairwise at all? Just go with gut instincts, the "feel factor" or just pick the 16 teams with the highest attendance and the most revenue?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X