No announcement yet.

2024 Pairwise and Tournament Qualification Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The avoiding intra conference games at all costs in round one is just a stupid, stupid rule. Just getting that out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
      If the season ended after tonight's games - what a massive headache the committee would have as it's not going to be easy placing teams in regionals and the matchups as well. BC and BU basically get punished for finishing 1st and 2nd...
      If they are dead set on avoiding intra conference in round one...

Providence:

1. BC (1)
      2. Quinnipiac (7)
      3. Wisconsin (9)
      4. Colorado College (14)

Springfield (UMass host):

1. BU (2)
      2. Michigan State (5)
      3. Massachusetts (12)
      4. Western Michigan (13)

Sioux Falls (Omaha host):

1. North Dakota (3)
      2. Minnesota (8)
      3. Omaha (11)
      4. Bemidji State/Michigan Tech (16)

Missouri:

1. Denver (4)
      2. Maine (6)
      3. Michigan (10)
      4. RIT/AIC (15)

Wisconsin is closest to Maryland Heights so you could swap the Maine/Michigan and QU/Wisconsin games here if anyone cares.

Comment

This might be the best the NCAA and the hosts can ask
        Missouri Providence Sioux Falls UNO Springfield UMASS
        Mich State 4 Boston C 1 North Dakota 3 Boston U 2
        Denver 5 Maine 6 Minnesota 7 Wisconsin 8
        Michigan 10 Quinnipiac 9 Omaha 11 UMASS 12
        West Mich 13 Bemidji 16 RIT 14 Dartmouth 15
        The two host schools qualify, but do not mess up the top seeds.
        The #1 seeds play the correct opposite ranked opponent.
        Three eastern teams in both eastern regions.
        North Dakota and Minnesota in Sioux Falls.
        Arguably the top two 'national brands' in college hockey are in Missouri, the best (only?) chance to get any interest in that region.

Comment

Let's throw another wrench into the placement process. If BC has any say, which as the overall number one seed they probably do in this matter, they likely will prefer to go to Springfield. There is little difference in distance less than 40 miles and time perhaps 20 minutes than going to Providence. Why, will some ask? The Springfield games are Thursday and Saturday while the Providence games are Good Friday and Easter. Being a Catholic school, I think the administration and fans would want this.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
            Let's throw another wrench into the placement process. If BC has any say, which as the overall number one seed they probably do in this matter, they likely will prefer to go to Springfield. There is little difference in distance less than 40 miles and time perhaps 20 minutes than going to Providence. Why, will some ask? The Springfield games are Thursday and Saturday while the Providence games are Good Friday and Easter. Being a Catholic school, I think the administration and fans would want this.
            "You call the day I was born Christmas? What do you call the day I died?"
            'Good Friday.'
            "GOOD Friday? What the hell, dude?"

Looking at the train schedule, if I was a college student I know which location I would prefer. (Spoiler: not Springfield)

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
              If the season ended after tonight's games - what a massive headache the committee would have as it's not going to be easy placing teams in regionals and the matchups as well. BC and BU basically get punished for finishing 1st and 2nd...
              How does BC get punished? They get to stay east. There isn't one scenario that sends them west as the #1 seed. And there shouldn't be. BU is the one that potentially gets screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

How does BC get punished? They get to stay east. There isn't one scenario that sends them west as the #1 seed. And there shouldn't be. BU is the one that potentially gets screwed.
                They both get punished because they play LTHC teams instead of the automatic qualifiers like Benji and RIT to avoid intra conference matchups.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

"You call the day I was born Christmas? What do you call the day I died?"
                  'Good Friday.'
                  "GOOD Friday? What the hell, dude?"

Looking at the train schedule, if I was a college student I know which location I would prefer. (Spoiler: not Springfield)
                  The students will not be taking trains. It would be longer to get to Providence that way than by bus to Springfield as they would have to make their way to South Station first. BC would provide lots of busses if needed. Besides there are no classes Thursday through Monday and most students will be gone home. The season ticket holders would be the group that they need to target and Good Friday and Easter are significant for most of us.

Comment

It's an extra 30 minutes to Springfield, that's a lot of time for us Easterners! I prefer BC in Providence regardless of the fact these games are stupidly scheduled for Easter weekend and specifically Easter Sunday.

Comment

The students will not be taking trains. It would be longer to get to Providence that way than by bus to Springfield as they would have to make their way to South Station first. BC would provide lots of busses if needed. Besides there are no classes Thursday through Monday and most students will be gone home. The season ticket holders would be the group that they need to target and Good Friday and Easter are significant for most of us.
                      Won't the season ticket holders be taking their private jets from Logan to PVD?

Comment

Are the dates for Providence listed here incorrect:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/conf/NCAA/7

Also, and I know BC would have the early game on Friday, but Boston to Providence on a Friday night is probably the longest road trip in all of college hockey. /hyperbole Though heading west out on the Pike probably isn't much better.

Comment

So my understanding is they don't care about top seed having early game anymore because of the off day in between. And on that topic, I HATE that they went to this Thursday-Sunday format. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It makes attendance concerns that much worse.

Comment

Providence is Friday/Sunday and Springfield is Thursday/Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              So my understanding is they don't care about top seed having early game anymore because of the off day in between. And on that topic, I HATE that they went to this Thursday-Sunday format. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It makes attendance concerns that much worse.
                              The only team that would ever have to play the early game is Vermont. If you ever have been to Vermont you would know what I mean. The state shuts down at 6pm.

Comment

Rather than having to travel and play on holidays, just have the team forfeit. Then fans will have plenty of time for Easter egg hunts and whatever else you do to commemorate zombie Jesus. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X