2024 Pairwise and Tournament Qualification Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Jeez, buying these ahead of time would have been a good speculative investment with great returns.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

LOL StubHub rates the get-in price of $575 an "Amazing" deal and $1380 for a pair in the 10th row as "Great" Someone just paid $1725 for 5th row. The speculators who bought all the tickets last week are making money hand over fist.

Edit: That's just for Friday?!? There are no full session tickets available. Good lord.
      Last edited by ticapnews; 03-25-2024, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
        The NCAA is shooting themselves in the foot scheduling games on Easter weekend. Not only do they lose fans because of family obligations but they again compete with the sweet 16 in basketball for fans attention. I know they think that weekends are better for attendance but by making a day off between they already take it one day out of the weekend. Why not play it on a Monday/Tuesday with locality getting more preference whereby you don't compete for fans. Better yet they could have gone to the following weekend this year with few basketball games to compete with. I know that it would give little time for fans to make arrangements but the Frozen 4 is essentially sold out anyway. They could sell combination hotel and game ticket packages to the participating schools by blocking off hotel rooms for them. There is a way it can be done with proper planning.
        Maybe because so few real fans of hockey could not care less about squeekball? (I was a three year starter in college squeekball, but I cannot stand watching the game)

Comment

• Is there a bracket challenge on this site?

Comment

• Originally posted by gambs View Post

So 5000? Still doesn’t equate to the capacity of any of the top schools. On campus for the regionals is the way to go. Neutral for the semis and finals.
            I am TOTALLY AGAINST THAT!
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Organized crime involved in awarding this regional?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Are there parameters in place for hosting a regional? I thought there was one with regards to arena size
                From the 2027-28 NCAA regional site selection process informational packet:

1 Conditions and Availability.
                b. The facility must be modern, clean and accessible and must have at least 5,000 seats. Playing conditions must meet NCAA regulations and must be of championship caliber.

I didn't find the packet for 2023-24, but I've seen it and it was the same.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                  By the way.....CC misses because they lost to Augustana on October 28. A bad loss. They would have been a #3 otherwise.
                  Well, that Augustana loss was within CC's control. But here's something that wasn't: On Feb 23, Western Michigan got an OTW against St Cloud in a game which the Huskies got robbed of a go-ahead goal with about 1 minute to play in regulation. EVERY angle showed that the WMU goaltender caught the puck in the air behind the goal line (a great save...). But common sense did not prevail in the review of the potential goal because 'losing sight of the puck' was applied. The puck was in the glove. The overhead camera showed the glove (and wrist) to be behind the goal line. But no goal. Go to the Pairwise Customize gadget and change the WMU OTW to a St Cloud regulation win and it moves CC from 15 to 14 (and in the NCAA), and Western from 13 to 16 (and no NCAA).

I feel bad for CC - feel they are a deserving team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Except I literally just showed you a previous example of that exact thing happening. #1 played #14 while #2 played #37. This a rule the NCAA has consistently followed for decades.

Is there a reason this is suddenly a problem this season?
                    Yeah - it was a bad idea then too, as was screamed about at the time, by all the same people. You could go back and find articles from that year where the same thing was being said.

Comment

• Over the years one of my biggest problems with the PWR has been how you end up with Western in the field to begin with. Specifically in how they get in over other NCHC teams. Western finished in 6th place and got swept at St. Cloud in playoffs but still get in over CC and St. Cloud. I know it's math but that in-conference dynamic of the PWR has always bugged me.

Comment

Over the years one of my biggest problems with the PWR has been how you end up with Western in the field to begin with. Specifically in how they get in over other NCHC teams. Western finished in 6th place and got swept at St. Cloud in playoffs but still get in over CC and St. Cloud. I know it's math but that in-conference dynamic of the PWR has always bugged me.

Lost in three in the playoffs, not swept.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• I was just curious what the bracket would look like with next year's sites/hosts to see if we would have similar problems:

Manchester, NH:

1. BC
                          2. Wisconsin
                          3. Quinnipiac
                          4. Michigan Tech

Allentown, PA:

1. BU
                          2. Minnesota
                          3. Omaha
                          4. RIT

Fargo:

1. Denver
                          2. North Dakota
                          3. Michigan
                          4. UMass

Toledo:

1. Michigan State
                          2. Maine
                          3. Cornell
                          4. Western Michigan

Only change that would be tempting is flipping Michigan and Cornell. Allentown would be pretty empty. Denver gets UMass in a more favorable location although still not too favorable for them overall.

Comment

Over the years one of my biggest problems with the PWR has been how you end up with Western in the field to begin with. Specifically in how they get in over other NCHC teams. Western finished in 6th place and got swept at St. Cloud in playoffs but still get in over CC and St. Cloud. I know it's math but that in-conference dynamic of the PWR has always bugged me.
                            I always like looking at KRACH ratings when the tourney comes out to see what would've changed under another model. Western would be out and CC would be in. The regions would look a lot different too, it'd look something like below

Providence:
                            BC vs. Michigan Tech
                            Minnesota vs. QU

Springfield
                            BU vs. RIT
                            Wisconsin vs. Umass

Maryland Heights
                            Denver vs. Cornell
                            ND vs Michigan

Sioux Falls
                            Michigan State vs CC
                            Maine vs. Omaha

Comment

More than anything, it's bad losses. WMU didn't have any, CC and St. Cloud did.

St. Cloud played 8 of 10 out of conference games against CCHA teams, a pretty terrible conference, and went 4-4. Colorado lost at home to Augustana and went 0-1-1 at home against ASU. Those are killers, especially at home.

CC also went something like 7-1 on OT, and also had some shootouts. Thus, their win loss record looked a lot better than what their PWR says it is.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Out of curiosity, and I get it's not really apples to apples, how are the opening rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament done? Are schools hosts like in hockey? Has there ever been an issue with seeding due to a lower seed that had to play in an arena as the host?

Comment

Working...
                                X