2024 Pairwise and Tournament Qualification Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

I am afraid fatigue might be a factor, but I appreciate letting Maine be in the tournament twice.

My power is out and Internet spotty so I haven't checked, but are Wodon and his disciples still preaching about flipping seeds so BU can stay in Springfield?
    No
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by StillKIA2 View Post

I think your logic is faulty
      I hate stupid BU as much as or more than any other living person, but…
      “not a conference champion”, but better than 5 conference champions
      “not a tournament champion”, but better than 5 tournament champions (or maybe 4…stupid BU did lose to the Big Red)

so are you proposing that a tournament champion should get treated better than the national 2 seed?
      There was a time in the 12 team tournament era that being a double champion (regular season & playoff) meant an automatic bye and a top 4 seed.

So yes, i'm putting more value on that. Granted, the leagues were different then. But with all the other emphasis on out-of-league play in the selection process, I'd like something to add value with what you accomplished in your league.

BU has a lot of talent. They're a very good team. But I still question their goaltending and their big game mentality. Anyone who is already locking in a BC/BU final is both premature and lacking in historical context.

Comment

I am afraid fatigue might be a factor, but I appreciate letting Maine be in the tournament twice.

My power is out and Internet spotty so I haven't checked, but are Wodon and his disciples still preaching about flipping seeds so BU can stay in Springfield?
        I think his point there was if the teams were right next to each other like #12 and #13. With UMass at 14, less of an appetite for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seacaptim View Post

BC vs. BU will 100% meet in the NCAA finals should they both advance. #1 seed BC bracket will face the #4 seed bracket-Michigan State-?, while the #2 and #3 seeds square off in the Frozen Four.
          Thanks!
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

There was a time in the 12 team tournament era that being a double champion (regular season & playoff) meant an automatic bye and a top 4 seed.

So yes, i'm putting more value on that. Granted, the leagues were different then. But with all the other emphasis on out-of-league play in the selection process, I'd like something to add value with what you accomplished in your league.

BU has a lot of talent. They're a very good team. But I still question their goaltending and their big game mentality. Anyone who is already locking in a BC/BU final is both premature and lacking in historical context.
            It's not the 1990s anymore. The ECAC winner this year does not deserve a #1 seed and a bye. If BU had lost in the HE tournament last year, the HE winner did not deserve a #1 seed and a bye.

Conference accomplishments should equate to nothing other than a potential automatic berth. Auto-byes and seeding normalizes the concept that all conferences and conference winners are equal. They're not. You should not be able to win three conference tournament games as the 5th place team in your league and get a high seed and bye in the NCAA tournament.

This is a ridiculous proposition that no other college or pro sports tournament does.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Wasn't this part of the 'Colorado College Rule'* where the regular season conference champion was invited regardless of their final Pairwise and a team that won both their regular season and the conference tourney was rewarded with a bye? It made sense, then as the 4 conferences at that time HE, ECAC, CCHA and WCHA would regularly produce 2 or more eligible teams for the tourney.

*Colorado College won the WCHA regular season one year, 1994? and was left out of NCAA's
              Last edited by Bigus Paulus; 03-24-2024, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                I think his point there was if the teams were right next to each other like #12 and #13. With UMass at 14, less of an appetite for that.
                I also imagine he has less of an appetite now that the team he'd be helping is not named North Dakota...

Comment

• NOTE: The Committee is NOT allowed to do this under current rules, but it would be cool if the rules were amended one of 2 ways:
                  1) Amend the "No intraconference games in Round 1" rule to say...."No games in Round 1 between teams who have played each other since January 1". (I think this would allow a BU v UMass game?)
                  In this case, Springfield would be: BU v UMass, Maine v Cornell. Omaha would be: Denver v RIT, Minn v Omaha. Md Heights would be: MSU v WMU, NoDak v Michigan. BU has a more challenging game, but closer to home.

or

2) Allow the following: Springfield: BU v Cornell (I know Cornell should be a 3, but bear with me here), Wisconsin v UMass. (I know, UMass should be a 4). And, then, there is a caveat that says "If Cornell and UMass both win, Cornell, as higher PWR ranked team, gets last change in the regional final.

Personally, I think #1 above would serve the Committee well. It would prevent recent rematches. Sometimes you might have a situation where someone has played an OOC series in January, and they play again in the first round of the NCAAs. Maybe that shouldn't happen.

Comment

I also imagine he has less of an appetite now that the team he'd be helping is not named North Dakota...
                    Isn't he a Cornell guy?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Isn't he a Cornell guy?
                      No idea. But more of a reason for him not to care that much about helping BU. ;-)

It matters more to the fans anyway. Players just want to play. They don't much care where.

Comment

• What time is the bracket reveal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          What time is the bracket reveal?
                          6:30 Eastern, 5:30 Central

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

6:30 Eastern, 5:30 Central
                            Thanks. On what network?

Comment

• This women's game is going go into OT and force us to wait, isn't it? Ha.
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Thanks. On what network?
                                ESPN+, I believe, but personally I'm just going to wait until it's revealed on other media

Comment

Working...
                                X