2024 Pairwise and Tournament Qualification Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Are you a UMass fan, or do you just want chaos for the committee?
    No, he just wants BU to go west.

Comment

• Boston College
      Boston University
      Denver
      Michigan State
      Maine
      North Dakota
      Minnesota
      Wisconsin
      Quinnipiac
      Michigan
      Omaha
      Cornell
      Western Michigan
      Massachusetts
      RIT
      Michigan Tech

Providence: BC v Michigan Tech, Wisconsin v Quinnipiac
      Maryland Heights: BU v RIT, North Dakota v Michigan
      Sioux Falls: Denver v Western Michigan, Minnesota v Omaha
      Springfield: Michigan State v Massachusetts, Maine v Cornell

Comment

Boston College
        Boston University
        Denver
        Michigan State
        Maine
        North Dakota
        Minnesota
        Wisconsin
        Quinnipiac
        Michigan
        Omaha
        Cornell
        Western Michigan
        Massachusetts
        RIT
        Michigan Tech

The hosting rule is so dumb. I really hope it's changed next year. BU having to go to Missouri so a #4 seed UMass gets to play in Springfield breaks my brain

Comment

Boston College
          Boston University
          Denver
          Michigan State
          Maine
          North Dakota
          Minnesota
          Wisconsin
          Quinnipiac
          Michigan
          Omaha
          Cornell
          Western Michigan
          Massachusetts
          RIT
          Michigan Tech

I had the same as you, except swapping WMU and RIT to avoid the conference matchup between WMU and Denver.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

I had the same as you, except swapping WMU and RIT to avoid the conference matchup between WMU and Denver.
            Thanks, and you are correct, of course.

Comment

Boston College
              Boston University
              Denver
              Michigan State
              Maine
              North Dakota
              Minnesota
              Wisconsin
              Quinnipiac
              Michigan
              Omaha
              Cornell
              Western Michigan
              Massachusetts
              RIT
              Michigan Tech

The NCHC didn't get a 5th team in so Denver/Western Michigan can't play in the first round.

Comment

• Another Possibility:
                Providence: BC v MTU, Wisconsin v Quinnipiac
                Maryland Hts: BU v RIT, North Dakota v Michigan
                Springfield: Denver v UMass, Maine v Cornell
                Sioux Falls: Mich State v WMU, Minn v Omaha

Comment

• The only question I see with the bracket at this point is Denver and BU. Bracket integrity wise Denver lines up with UMass but you would be sending the Pioneers past two regional sites on their way to Springfield to play UMass in their backyard. It seems more logical to place Denver in one of the "western" sites. And since they are closest to Sioux Falls and BU closer to Missouri I will go with that. The problem is you are screwing over BU at every turn here as the #2 overall seed. But if anyone should play UMass in their backyard it is the 4th overall seed in Michigan State. Of course the committee could shock us all and actually, I don't know, just ****ing put BU in Springfield with UMass. But since that doesn't seem likely:

Providence:

1. BC (1)
                  2. Wisconsin (8)
                  3. Quinnipiac (9)
                  4. Michigan Tech (16)

Springfield (UMass host):

1. Michigan State (4)
                  2. Maine (5)
                  3. Cornell (12)
                  4. UMass (14)

Sioux Falls (Omaha host):

1. Denver (3)
                  2. Minnesota (7)
                  3. Omaha (11)
                  4. RIT (15)

Missouri:

1. BU (2)
                  2. North Dakota (6)
                  3. Michigan (10)
                  4. Western Michigan (13)

Or if an emphasis is placed on doing more to protect BU rather than Denver over Michigan State:

Providence:

1. BC (1)
                  2. Wisconsin (8)
                  3. Quinnipiac (9)
                  4. Michigan Tech (16)

Springfield (UMass host):

1. Denver (3)
                  2. Maine (5)
                  3. Cornell (12)
                  4. UMass (14)

Sioux Falls (Omaha host):

1. BU (2)
                  2. Minnesota (7)
                  3. Omaha (11)
                  4. RIT (15)

Missouri:

1. Michigan State (4)
                  2. North Dakota (6)
                  3. Michigan (10)
                  4. Western Michigan (13)

Comment

• I checked the USCHO bracketology after I posted and Connelly went with my bracket that does more to "protect" BU.

Comment

• Wodon, McMahon, Connelly all with different brackets. McMahon's is the one that makes little sense to me

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...te-Bracket.php

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Wodon, McMahon, Connelly all with different brackets. McMahon's is the one that makes little sense to me

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...te-Bracket.php
                        McMahon's seems the easiest if you assign the regions to the groupings the right way (or wrong depending on how you look at it lol) and then move UNO into Sioux Falls as host. Almost perfect bracket integrity and you only have to swap UNO with Michigan to solve the host issue and the B1G first round 7/10 matchup.

Additionally, you split up a lot of conference teams. HE gets four teams in four different regions. B1G same with their 4. ECAC is split with their 2. Nacho has their 4 teams in 3 regions, only doubling up DU and North Dakota.

Attendance, BC/Qpac have Providence covered. Gophers in Sioux Falls: decent. UMA in Springfield as host plus two serious fanbases that travel: solid. Maryland Heights: shrug?
                        Last edited by Carmine Scarpaglia; 03-23-2024, 11:36 PM.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• just save time for everyone and award the title to bc. they ain’t losing a single game.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• This won’t happen but fairest thing to do would be to make UMA a three seed. I don’t think there is much between them, WM, and Cornell anyway.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              The only question I see with the bracket at this point is Denver and BU. Bracket integrity wise Denver lines up with UMass but you would be sending the Pioneers past two regional sites on their way to Springfield to play UMass in their backyard.
                              Remember that according to the NCAA, once a team gets on a plane it doesn't matter where it lands. All distances become equal. I wish I could get the same deal from my travel agent.

The NCAA has specifically treated Denver this way before, sending the Pios to Providence to play Providence when the Friars weren't even the host.

Comment

• Here is the way I would think about it.....
                                Providence: BC v MTU and Wisc v Quinn. This is perfect. No need to change. Near home teams in both semi finals. And, 1, 8, 9, 16

Springfield: UMass is host, and as a 14 seed both CAN'T play BU and shouldn't play the 2 seed anyway. Since WMU is the 13th seed, they can't play Denver, so that means that Denver has to play UMass. Thus......Denver v UMass. This is 3 v 14, so it should go against 6 v 11. But the 2 v 3 games aren't going to be 6 v 11. They are going to be 6 v10 (UND v Mich) and 7 v 11 (Minn v Omaha) as well as 5 v 12. It simply makes so much sense to have Maine v Cornell in Springfield rather than anywhere else. Saves 2 flights, and Maine fans will be happy to be in Springfield (Cornell never travels well). Thus
                                Springfield is: Denver v UMass and Maine v Cornell.

Sioux Falls: Obviously the 2v3 game is Minnesota v Omaha. Does the BU v RIT game happen here or in Maryland Heights? The other game is Michigan State v Western Michigan. All 4 of these teams will be flying anyway. For bracket purposes, it looks better to have 2 and 7 in the same region, and 4 and 6....rather than 2 and 6 and 4 and 7. So, by a slight margin,
                                Sioux Falls would be BU v RIT and Minnesota v Omaha.

That leaves Maryland Heights to be Michigan State v Western Michigan and NoDak v Michigan

This is also Connelly's bracket.

To me, the only adjustment even on the table is swapping the Maine/Cornell game with the NoDak/Michigan game, because it improves the integrity of the bracket slightly. But I wouldn't do it, because it will hurt the attendance at the 2v3 game in Springfield, and if there is a concern about the barn in Maryland Heights, NoDak and Michigan will fill it, whereas Maine and Cornell wouldn't.

Again, this is NOT a prediction. It's my thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X